I just can't understand why Mishavonna isn't there now...

superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm trying, but I just can't? Her performance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4NltZe_ee4&feature=related) is one of the best performances ever IMO, never mind on a semis.

She was as close to perfect as I've heard anyone this year and I dont get why she isnt there now :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The public didn't vote for her and the judges didn't wildcard her.

I think she's a reasonable singer but her breath control's bad in that song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    I think Ju'not should also get a mention
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She isnt there because she (tragically) wasnt pimped the whole way through like some of the others, and had to go up against Allison who was awesome that night.

Why she wasnt at very least a wildcard competitor is the worst bit. She was one of my favorites of the whole series so far. I downloaded her EP from before Idol, and its awesome.

I will genuinely follow her career after Idol, even if its unlikely she'll do much. I think shes that good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a list of about 5-6 people who I think deserved a second chance and didnt get it - Mishavonna, Kristen McNamara, Junot Joyner, Felicia Barton and also Jesse Langseth and Ricky Braddy, who got into the wildcard round, but should have gotten through to the finals nonetheless instead of Jasmine who was far worse than any of those above.

The wildcard round should have consisted of:

Jesse Langseth, Megan Corkrey, Kristen McNamara, Felicia Barton, Mishavonna Henson, Ju'Not Joyner, Anoop Desai, Ricky Braddy. I dont think Matt deserved a second chance after butchering Viva La Vida, but I would change him for Felicia if you needed even men and women, just because Felicia would have been on her third chance then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Mishavonna was my favourite female contestant so I think it's a shame she didn't get through.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She should have been in the WC round absolutely, I don't understand why the judges were so lukewarm.

My WC picks would have been Mishavonna, Jesse, Megan and Matt. With Kristen, Anoop, Ricky and Felicia rounding out the round. I know a lot of people liked Ju'Not but I didn't really get it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FleetSeb wrote: »
    She should have been in the WC round absolutely, I don't understand why the judges were so lukewarm.

My WC picks would have been Mishavonna, Jesse, Megan and Matt. With Kristen, Anoop, Ricky and Felicia rounding out the round. I know a lot of people liked Ju'Not but I didn't really get it.

We have essentially the same group. Id probably give up Junot too! :)
  • Faria262Faria262 Posts: 6,952
    Forum Member
    I liked Mishavonna and thought that she both sang and came across better than Allison on Group 2 night. I think song choice and judges' comments were the main deciding factors, but Allison was 16 which is obviously cuter than 18, even though neither of them were especially cutesy characters. The fact that Mishavonna had got to Hollywood before was also mentioned and could have impacted on the decision.

Definitely agree on Kristen too - Mishavonna and Kristen were two of my 3 favourite girls by the end of the semis. We'll get onto my favourite in a minute, but that will take longer :)

Nate Marshall was fun and unique, and I'd have liked for both him and Kristen make it as their on screen banter was always fun to watch. Ju'Not was a good singer too, and would probably have made a better pick than Jorge or Michael, and fit in well with the standard of the remaining guys.

Felicia and Ricky were reasonable singers, but I wasn't particularly fascinated by them. Jesse to me was like Megan with a better voice, but worse song choices which probably let her down. I preferred her by quite a way to Megan though.

Might mention my favourite now, seeing as no one else has. I always liked her, but I think if possible my bias towards her increased following her performance and subsequent elimination. I have listened to her every day since her performance, because I love her voice and am hoping to hear a lot more from her in the future.

Just so you all know, if you didn't already, I'm talking about Arianna Afsar. I know a lot of people, including the judges to varying degrees, thought her performance of The Winner Takes It All was awful, but I was very impressed with her vocals - even more so than I was expecting to be, despite already having a positive attitude towards her. I could tell straight away that the arrangement of the song was causing problems for her, and I genuinely believe that was a deliberate sabotage by the powers that be, hence the lack of a wildcard opportunity for her. I don't know who in particular they were worried she'd threaten within the context of the competition. Jasmine? Alexis? We all know what happened to them. Allison? Not if it was down to vocals. Megan? Ditto - Arianna just wouldn't have been old enough for Scowell to fancy in the same way. Lil? They're not xactly similar! One of the guys? Which one?

Unfortunately, I can understand the public not voting for Arianna as all most will have heard will have been the general gist of the performance, which due to the poor arrangement won't have given the best possible impression of her. What I don't understand, and doubt that I ever will, is why the powers that be decided that they wanted her out, and went about it by sabotaging her. As much as I liked Kristen, Mishavonna etc, I don't believe that they were shafted in the same way, other than by not being offered wildcard slots.

Back to Arianna, as she's only 17, part of me wishes that she hadn't been put in the top 36 this year. She won't be allowed to reapply now, unless, as my thread requwsts, the rules are changed. I just hope she feels OK about it all and that we hear plenty more from her in the future. I'm just hoping she'll get an even better opportunity than Simon could ever offer her.

I love threads like this as I am able to mention Arianna without sounding too out of place, like I must in things like song choice topics lol! I would have Arianna in the finals over any of the other 35 contestants, but as for the others, there are some I'd be more eager to replace than others! :D

xxxx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sort of see where your coming Faria about Arianna being shafted, but I personally think Kristen McNamara was shafted more than any other contestant this season. I genuinely believe out of all the girls this season she had the best voice - better than Lil, better than Allison.. a bit better than Alexis and Jesse. If you watch all of Kristen's Hollywood week (where she got a decent bit of exposure) she is practically flawless - and all she gets in return is a million and one insults about her appearence, and a rubbish spot in the semi finals, bang in the middle against the mega hyped Lil. I can only honestly think that her being on a different reality show went against her, because she clearly wasnt wanted by the judges, and they just seemed to be out to get her at every oppurtunity. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and also, I think Kristen looked great all the way through. Getting rid of the purple hair was a good move, but she deffinatly didnt look bad at any point, regardless of what Simon said in the judges mansion.

I totally cant get over my faves all leaving this season early! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    she was nothing specaculator to write home about, so im not shocked she isnt there, shes quite average. Shes better than megan though thats for sure.
    Forum Member
    Utoia, is that a reference to Mishavonna or Kristen? Just out of interest :)

Kyle, glad you can see my point about Arianna. I definitelyn agree about Kristen, who was my second favourite girl after Arianna. Being visually impaired, I didn't get a great idea of Kristen's image although there was certainly nothing wrong with it. Brian Friedman told me at the X Factor auditions that I had an image problem, and to be honest I agree with that. It's much easier to work on than having vocal problems though.

I enjoyed Kristen very much during Hollywood. I didn't think her Kelly Clarkson song was perfect, but I bet the power came across better live, and I still preferred her to most of the girls. I don't know whyu she had to "sing for survival" although personally I reckon the judges had already made their choices. i loved her "I Will Always Love You" though.

It could have been her past on Nashville Star that put them off, or perhaps they didn't want another country girl after the likes of Kristy and Kellie, who I was also a fan of? Perhaps they didn't want her to go through without Nathaniel, and they didn't think he was good enough? You never know with Idol.

The main difference between Arianna and Kristen is that Arianna's only 17, and Kristen's 23. I don't think anyone should have to put up with unnecessary personal insults, but it would usually be harder for a teenager to recover from. Kristen's vocals weren't slated in the same way as Arianna's were either, then again you could say they were shoving Kristen to one side by branding her forgettable, but leaving Arianna open to a sympathy vote as a backup in case their desired outcome didn't become a reality, so that she could become a Sanjaya for 2009 - which she wouldn't have done. I liked Sanjaya, and her personality is similarly upbeat, but her voice is far superior :)

I would definitely have selected Arianna, Kristen and Mishavonna as the top 3 female finalists, whichever one was the best singer/most shafted/youngest/most entertaining - they all completely deserved it. Allison, Megan and Jasmine couldn't hope to compete with them IMO, Lil's grown on me but even if she sang as well, she wpuldn't be so distinctive, and I thought Alexis would've done a lot better than she did, but maybe if one of Arianna/Kristen/Mishavonna had swapped groups with her or another girl from that group, they would have been the one to go through, and made it further than Alexis did.

Glad I'm not the only one still mulling over the injustices of the semifinals! :D

xxxx
  • Bella TrixBella Trix Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    I have a list of about 5-6 people who I think deserved a second chance and didnt get it - Mishavonna, Kristen McNamara, Junot Joyner, Felicia Barton and also Jesse Langseth and Ricky Braddy, who got into the wildcard round, but should have gotten through to the finals nonetheless instead of Jasmine who was far worse than any of those above.

I definitely agre with Kristen, Junot and Ricky, and I also thought Arianna should have made wildcard; I was also really disappointed that Jamar didn't make the top 36 as I thought he was one of the best.
    There have been a LOT of judges' choices I haven't agreed with this year, right from the Hollywood rounds.
  • Bella TrixBella Trix Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Faria262 wrote: »

Glad I'm not the only one still mulling over the injustices of the semifinals! :D

xxxx

I think it's so sweet that you're so passionate about Arianna! :D Usually when people's favourites are knocked out before top 12, they just forget all about them, lol. I liked Arianna a lot as well. I definitely thought she should've made wildcard. I really enjoyed 'Winner Takes It All', regardless of the strange arrangement of the song, I thought it was quite clear that she had a really pretty voice. I would've liked to hear more.

I try not to get too attached to people before top 12, as my favourites usually don't make it! I'm still seething over Marisa Rhodes not getting past top 40 in season 6!
    Forum Member
    Aw thanks Bella - it's about as sweet as I get! :D

Just been listening to Arianna, she sounds better on the recordings from when she was younger, simply because she wasn't sabotaged by a poor arrangement. I love her version of The Winner Takes It All though, and have even been brave enough to try singing it, which I never thought I would - but now I'm doing it in the college panto, all thanks to Arianna! :D

I've disagreed with other decisions in the past - if I remember rightly, Marisa was in Gina's group and pretty good. I've never got quite this attached so early on thpough. David Cook was my favourite from Top 24 last year, but it was OK because he won, ditto Jordin the year before, although I was also very attached to Kristy and didn't enjoy her elimination much! :)

In the thread "Is this the worst Idol yet?" I've tried to look on the bright side - after all, I'm quite relaxed watching the results shows now, although I will be upset when Scott's eliminated. I'm still able to listen to Arianna every day, and I wouldn't be able to get to the tour if she was performing on it, so it's just as well she isn't - although she'd beter be Jordin Sparks's support act when she next visits the UK! :D

Although there are positives in it for me, I'm still disappointed for Arianna - and indeed for Kristen, Mishavonna, Nathaniel etc - who all ended up with poor coverage/dfficul groups/the wrong song or arrangement. That's why I started the thread about whether or not past contestants could reapply! :)

Arianna was never going to get a wildcard as the judges knew who they wanted to pick, hence no public vote, and would have looked daft picking Megan over Arianna in a head-to-head IMO. If they didn't want her, they should've told her to come back next year rather than putting her in the top 36 and denying her a second chance on Idol, aged just 17.

Will Jamar still be eligible to reapply next year, age-wise? I think Danny's a better singer, but I prefer Jamar to other picks for both the top 36 and the top 12. He seemed to have a lot of public support too, so I reckon they're building him up to reutrn next year, but is he not the same age as Danny? If so, I think that would make him too old to reapply!

Anyway, I've been through similar experiences on XF so I know the tricks of the powers-that-be! I just wish that I'd been able to take advantage of America's free voting and shown them who's boss! :D

xxxx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, every day recently I seem to be thinking more and more about Jesse Langseth. My god that girl was good. Its a shame she didnt come accross quite bitchy in her semi finals really, because I think she had a good shot of edging out Kris Allen for third, and if she had seemed a bit humbler, she'd have probably gotten it. :( And dont even get me started on Jasmine Murray beating her to the top 13!
    Forum Member
    I didn't find Jesse Langseth especially bitchy - I mainly remember her British accent impression, shown in her VT and her obsession with the beat in "Bette Davis Eyes" lol :)

To me she was like a better version of Megan - who I also found more annoying. I like Kris, but would happily have seen Jesse edge out Allison, or be picked as a wildcard with Mishavonna as group 2's top female. I didn't mind Jasmine either, but she wasn't ready this year, and proved as much on many occasions.

I think Megan edged Jesse out because she picked more commercial, modern songs but Jesse was a better singer and wouldn't have been such car-crash TV - probably why she wasn't picked :)

She wouldn't have been in my top 3 girls, but I'm pretty sure she'd have been in my top 8 girls, whcih is how many guys are in the finals this year, and it was a shame how she was treated during the wildcard show - least not seeing as she got there in place of Arianna! :)

xxxx
  • River ManRiver Man Posts: 2,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with the OP.
    How was this girl not worth a place in the final 13, but Megan, Jasmine, Michael, Jorge (remember him?, I do just, but trying to block it out), Anoop, Scott, etc were.

Two top performances on youtube, better than 90% of what we've had to endure on the liveshows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCkcpISGGmA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9IP8KI3u_4&feature=channel
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, I know I must have done this a million times, but how much better would the followig top 13 have been? (I know they wouldnt put so many girls on WC's, but whatever :p)

Week 1:
    Alexis, Danny, Ricky

Week 2:
    Allison, Adam, Megan

Week 3:
    Kristen, Junot, Lil

Wildcards:
    Mishavonna, Jesse, Felicia, Kris
    (Also competing: Matt G, Tatiana, Von and Anoop)