Options

singers who used to sound great who can't sing anymore

Comments

• Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martha Reeves.
    I watched that Hootenanny performance with discomfort at the time. Dionne Warwick was quite ropey when she was on Jonathan Ross' ITV show also. Shame.
  • Options
    Imperfect AngelImperfect Angel Posts: 3,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're just confusing your self now. You need to accept the facts.

IWKWLI was always sung with a backing track as confirmed by the X Factor.
    Some viewers questioned whether Miss Carey, who had pre-recorded her performance, was singing live.

One fan said: 'How bad is her miming?! A "superstar" that has to mime, what a disgrace!'

Another viewer said: 'Yes, she was miming. You see it well in the part where she took the mic off the stand in the middle of her singing and the voice didn't change.'

However, an X Factor spokeswoman insisted that Miss Carey had sung live as well as using a backing track.

I've already posted an example of her still using the TMB backing track till this day.

Here's another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvcL5sJ5ezM

This report supports that a backing track was used at GMA
    This morning, Mariah Carey appeared on Good Morning America for its Summer Concert Series (is it really summer yet!?) and performed three songs. During "Touch My Body," her backing track — aka, her crutch, should her voice crap out, and she can't hit a particular note — kicked in way earlier than it should, ****ing up the beginning of the song. Mimi recovered nicely, and went on to sing the song with her actual voice, but about three minutes in, the backing track got messed up again. This time, she turned around, pointed at her back up singers and sang, "Stop singin' my part now, bay-bay." Like it was their fault or something!

Listen to the clips of those two songs and you will hear belts on the backing tracks.
  • Options
    SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spiderpig wrote: »
    Frank Sinatra, he can't sing anymore. He used to sound really great and I have the albums to prove it.

I thought his voice really went downhill when he died 14 years ago!
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big big big Mariah fan, but she is very much a studio artist these days.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuff

Look, you're relying on unconfirmed sources to build your argument. So someone said she sang on X Factor with a backing track, so someone else said the backing track on GMA did this or that, it doesn't matter, the point is you are STILL confusing a backing track with a pre-recording. I will say it for the very last time: DIFFERENT THINGS. I know she was singing on X Factor with a backing track, you can hear it, she always sings with a backing track. Even when she used to sing Vision of Love in 1991 (unless she had backup singers present). The backing track is used to sing parts of the song she can't, for example if she's busy singing a verse while there's a vocal run, then that's what the backing track will do. Like you said before, she can't sing both at the same time. The point with the Touch My Body performance is that there is both a backing track and a pre-recording, both are different things and both were messed up. The backing track started too early and began tripping, causing her to improvise that "so many lines, hey hey hey heyyyy". Then, later on in the song, she was supposed to mime to a pre-recording of the belt because let's face it, Mariah isn't really a live belter any more. But because someone started playing it too early, she had to sing it live. I'm just repeating myself now... Let me ask you this: what do you think that belt--the one that started too early--was for? Mariah doesn't belt over a pre-recorded belt. That kinda defeats the purpose...
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about this performance on X Factor of Mariah miming the end...there is just too much evidence that she isn't the singer she used to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With that particular performance, she mimes the entire song, begins singing the ending belt live, but constantly switches from live to pre-recording. Whenever you hear that horrendous whistle behind her voice, she's miming. I don't quite know why that happens, probably something to do with the mic.
  • Options
    Imperfect AngelImperfect Angel Posts: 3,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've posted the truth and supporting evidence you can continue to believe lies.

The verses in IWKWLI were live, the chorus she sang over backing track, the end was a mixture of live and lipping. Anyone who has watched all performances of the song knows this.

How is an X Factor spokeswoman an unconfirmed? The Daily Mail got in touch with them and they confirmed she sang live. Deal with it. Also a member of the choir confirmed on Twitter she sang the song live. These are facts.

Zack you seem to be stuck in 2008/2009 if you haven't noticed we are now in the year 2013.

Why not focus on her RECENT performances.

All I Want For Christmas Is You live on Jimmy Fallon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWEfszb9h8Q

Christmas Time Is In The Air Again live at Rockefeller
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqQ2VOpP7fI

My All live in Melbourne
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pqvuxzII9E
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina Aguilera

Lotus is too shouty.
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christina Aguilera

Lotus is too shouty.

I agree, her voice has deepened quite a bit and the loud notes no longer sound powerful, just screechy.

Mariah's voice has changed quite a lot, but i still feel she can pull the notes out when she can be arsed to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've posted the truth and supporting evidence you can continue to believe lies.

The verses in IWKWLI were live, the chorus she sang over backing track, the end was a mixture of live and lipping. Anyone who has watched all performances of the song knows this.
    Are you even reading my posts? This is WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG. Not once did I say she was lipping the verses in IWKWLI X Factor, and I was the one who made the point about her climaxes being a mixture of pre-recording and live vocals. Pay attention next time, this debate is as done as Christina's last album.
    How is an X Factor spokeswoman an unconfirmed? The Daily Mail got in touch
    There you go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Christina Aguilera

Lotus is too shouty.
    I agree, her voice has deepened quite a bit and the loud notes no longer sound powerful, just screechy.
    I was so happy she hadn't been mentioned until now :cry:

When she sings ballads, she's still great, but she does seem to have a problem with her uptempo tracks. Maybe it's more obvious on 'Lotus' because 'Stripped' and 'B2B' mostly included mid-tempo tracks and ballads which has always been her forte.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina, in my opinion, has started on the slope of vocal deterioration. Give it about 5 years and she'll be at the point of relying on lipping for almost every big note.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Judging by some terrible performances on Strictly in recent years:

Rod Stewart
    Barry Gibb
    Dionne Warwick

and Andy Williams (now sadly deceased)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiderpig wrote: »
    Frank Sinatra, he can't sing anymore. He used to sound really great and I have the albums to prove it.

i thought Frank Sinatra died years ago :confused:
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Aries_123 wrote: »
    i thought Frank Sinatra died years ago :confused:

His voice is holding up better than Enrico Caruso's. ;)
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dionne warick defintely past her best and liza minelli.
    sad she sounded great back in 88 with the pet shop boys.
    And amazing on liza from a to z dvd but she was around 30 at the time mariah used to sound great.
    90-96 was her peak her voice changed after the daydream tour and many people think it's down to her drinking.
    as she never drank before that she also sounds like she dosen't bother warming up her voice.
    if she would have taken a year off after the daydream tour it would have been better instead she kept on recording.
    and did the butterfly tour she picked up around 2000/2001.
    and sounded great on glitter then her voice went again.
    she also used to do much shorter tours to rest her voice the last 2 charmbraclet in 2003 & adventures of mimi 2006.
    were too many shows people forget singing night after night can strein your voice makes me mad when singers don't bother to look after their voices.
    cliff usually sounds great I have many of his live dvd's unless they are dubbed I have no idea what happened at the diamond jubilee maybe a bad day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really tire of people saying that Mariah's vocal deterioration is to do with drinking alcohol... Yes, alcohol is not good for your voice but for it to have crippled her voice as such she would have had to be an addict on the level of Whitney Houston. Mariah's vocal deterioration is a mixture of age and use. She keeps her larynx in neutral position for every register she sings in - which is great, singers should do that, however because of that it means she's constricting the muscles around her vocal cords (they call these false vocal cords) and now they're so worn and damaged that belting is becoming more and more difficult for her with each passing year. I suppose the nodules don't help, though you may find that if you actually saw her vocal cords they won't look all that different to when she was younger. That's even more plausible because her higher and lower registers sound basically the same, it's just her belt that is so drastically different. As I said, it's not her vocal cords that are the problem, it's all the stress she's put on the muscles around them over the years.

If you break your leg, you'll have trouble using your foot...despite there not being anything actually wrong with your foot. It's that kind of logic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    Christina, in my opinion, has started on the slope of vocal deterioration. Give it about 5 years and she'll be at the point of relying on lipping for almost every big note.

To be fair, all female singers with that type of voice can't really keep it up approaching a more mature age. Mariah, Whitney, Aretha, Celine, as well as Christina, lose the power and volume to a large extent with age and use.

The voice is a delicate instrument and years of touring will kill that type of voice, even one trained and looked after, although Barbra Streisand lasted a lot longer than most.

I know Whitney had 'other' issues as well, but even if she'd have left the booze and drugs alone she would still have had problems with those big iconic songs of hers.

Even Leona Lewis is probably passed her very best now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't understand how her voice changed so much some of the tone is still there and the whistle register.
    but she sounded smoother around 95/96 I've read recent interviews where she says her voice hasn't changed.
    when it obviously has celine's voice dosen't sound too different if anyone's read her biography she explains how she had vocal problems early on in her career around 1989.
    and ever since then she has taken good care of her voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah's voice started going strange in 1994 - she lost the resonance in her belt, and how do you make a resonant sound in a belt? Constriction. Like I said, all of that horrible constriction was catching up with her. The only reason she could get away with it so much before was because she was young - everything was fresh and new! But new toys don't stay new for long. Then in 1995 her voice went mysteriously high and thin--though I do think she sounded absolutely wonderful in 1995/6, even if it was a physical ailment--and then went super hoarse (but still thin) in 1997/8.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree about mariah's voice in 94 she was at her peak.
    check out joy to the world live st john the divine her greatest vocal performance ever the merry christmas album sounded great butterfly was when she started using her whisper voice.
    I haven't heard christina for a while I have her back to basics dvd in 2006 and she sounded amazing then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The title of this post suggests these singers can't sing anymore...
    I wouldn't say that but what I would say is that they are not as good as they once were.

Here's mine-

Elton John

Leona Lewis

Christina Aguilera
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    I disagree about mariah's voice in 94 she was at her peak.
    check out joy to the world live st john the divine her greatest vocal performance ever the merry christmas album sounded great butterfly was when she started using her whisper voice.
    I haven't heard christina for a while I have her back to basics dvd in 2006 and she sounded amazing then.

Mariah's always used her whisper register, even from her first album. She just didn't use it as much and it was healthier then. Mariah's voice has been gradually evolving since her first album. I also agree that she was at her peak circa 94/95. Her voice was full but also had fluidity. However my personal favourite vocal era was between 1997-2000.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going by last years Eurovision, Englebert :cool:

We await Bonnie Tyler ;)