The Detectives

12346»

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shame we couldn't see Fred Talbots case. Maybe they are keeping it for the next series.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Pretzel wrote: »
    True, but she interpreted what she saw, or rather thought she saw. It's the polices job to evaluate what use that evidence is and to decide how useful and reliable she is as a witness. Clearly she wasn't a very reliable witness which is why they were able to go to trial.

I imagine that many witnesses are not particularly reliable, sometimes what you think you see is not what has actually happened.

and she was sober and unconnected

juries tend to believe them more
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that was an excellent series.

I am filled with admiration for the victims and the police.
  • brendans babebrendans babe Posts: 34,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame we couldn't see Fred Talbots case. Maybe they are keeping it for the next series.

Has he been convicted yet? If not they probably can't show it until the case is over
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has he been convicted yet? If not they probably can't show it until the case is over

Yes he's been convicted and sentenced to 5 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that was an excellent series.

I am filled with admiration for the victims who found the courage to report the crimes and the police who undertake such painstaking investigations.

It was moving to see how much it meant when that detective got the call about the DNA match.
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's inside for five years.
    I got the impression his scenes were just to show that the job was ongoing, etc. His case wasn't as convoluted as Teret, from what I can see, so I don't think there will be another series.

Was a good, informative show, again very similar in style to the ch4 show, 24 hours in Police Custody.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I haven't heard of that one. I think the programme I was referring to is 24 hours in police custody. I didn't actually watch it but I saw clips on Gogglebox where they couldn't beleive the guy was found not guilty.

I haven't seen that one on Channel 4 but people on here thought this programme would be another copy of that one but it was completely different. I must check it out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't heard of that one. I think the programme I was referring to is 24 hours in police custody. I didn't actually watch it but I saw clips on Gogglebox where they couldn't beleive the guy was found not guilty.

I watched it and I couldn't believe it either.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I haven't heard of that one. I think the programme I was referring to is 24 hours in police custody. I didn't actually watch it but I saw clips on Gogglebox where they couldn't believe the guy was found not guilty.

because he said nothing

so the police have the burden of proof they have to prove he did it, circumstantial evidence doesnt prove anything

just that he COULD have done it, thats not enough

people get confused with TV shows

when I served on a Jury I reckon the defendant probably did it but the police case was weak and mostly circumsational

we were unanimous in not guilty

I wasnt gonna send someone to jail with a "could have"

if it was you youd prob do the same
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard of that one. I think the programme I was referring to is 24 hours in police custody. I didn't actually watch it but I saw clips on Gogglebox where they couldn't believe the guy was found not guilty.

The first episode is one of the best things I have ever seen on TV, gripping stuff.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent series, very informative, good to see justice done.

The producer must be a Bowie fan, his music used several times on the 3 programmes, with Rock and Roll Suicide as the play out song over the end credits tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    China Girl wrote: »
    Excellent series, very informative, good to see justice done.

The producer must be a Bowie fan, his music used several times on the 3 programmes, with Rock and Roll Suicide as the play out song over the end credits tonight.

Teret seemed to play a lot of him on his show, I think that's what they picked up on.

I'm hoping they show Talbot in another series. Wanna see that filthy paedo squirm. The footage of him on the news when they caught him out 'is this your diary' 'no comment...my handwriting's really terrible there' was hilarious lol
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    But she only witnessed it for 3 minutes. She shouldn't have said it was consensual sex.

I am not saying anything one way or the other - however the CCTV does not have sound - so if there were no cries for help or screaming (in a bad way) - and you saw a couple "coupling" - you would probably assume they were just having drunken sex in the street.
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was Teret always hiding his mouth? He was either carrying something or holding something against his mouth the whole time he was on screen. He did the same when he was going into court for his trial. Weird. I could understand if he was hiding his whole face, but by just hiding his mouth he's not disguising himself.

Yes I found that a bit weird too. He either held a piece of paper in his mouth or a handkerchief, odd behaviour.
  • MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Poor Ellie - how devastating.

I felt really sorry for Ellie - I hope that she got the support and counseling she needed and has genuinely put this all behind her.

However I can see how the jury were placed. There was no corroborating evidence, simply one person's word against another - it's hard to say but while I totally believe her you can't really claim the case was proved beyond reasonable doubt.

Perhaps there is an argument for making the Scottish "Not Proven" verdict available south of the border.
  • pearljpearlj Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mark_spark wrote: »
    Teret seemed to play a lot of him on his show, I think that's what they picked up on.

I'm hoping they show Talbot in another series. Wanna see that filthy paedo squirm. The footage of him on the news when they caught him out 'is this your diary' 'no comment...my handwriting's really terrible there' was hilarious lol

With respect I don't think that is why they played Bowie at the end, that would have been like a tribute to him because he played Bowie a lot. I think it was more a song with a meaning for the women, that they are not alone and are wonderful.