White people speaking like black people

BandolaBandola Posts: 1,285
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I overheard a few words from some guy in tesco today. He sounded exactly like Ali G or any of the black guys that Ross Kemp interviewed in south london gangs. But this guy was 100% white! What's that all about? He sounded like he was from the west indies or the mixed up london version of it. That's the second time in two weeks I've heard someone speak like this. It just seems ridiculous and completely laughable. If he was speaking to me, I would most likely say to him "why on earth are you talking like that?". It would be like me putting on an indian accent or speaking like a chinese man and changing my 'r's to 'l's.

We all pick up a few phrases but something like this is losing your whole identity and taking on someone elses.
I should imagine that black people laugh at these white people copying them, and rightly so.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do black people talk like then?

Ali G or Don Warrington?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    It's called 'Jafakean', 'gangsta' or 'ghetto', and it's bad enough when black people speak like it. Now white people are joining in. Blah.

I know there's nothing really wrong with talking 'ghetto', it's just one of those things that gets on my wick.
  • mdarlinmdarlin Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    if fashion dictates its ok to imitate black social language then theres no comparing it to you putting on an indian accent one is cool the other racist .
  • BandolaBandola Posts: 1,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamcake wrote: »

Ali G or Don Warrington?

Both. However, I'm talking about white people that are directly mimicking what we generally know to be the west indian sound or what is close to that.
  • JaystarJaystar Posts: 4,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamcake wrote: »
    Ali G or Don Warrington?
    Neither.

I have it on good authority that they talk like Jim Davidson doing 'Chalky White'.

:p
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise all black people talked the same? *scratches head*

How do white people talk?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaystar wrote: »
    Neither.

I have it on good authority that they talk like Jim Davidson doing 'Chalky White'.

:p
    rofl.
  • P*PUSHERP*PUSHER Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Yo blud, wa'gwan wid dis fred?!

Nuff respeck, one, peace!
  • mdarlinmdarlin Posts: 309
    Forum Member

like that ^ i mean this < :D
  • LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah exactly. I think the word some is missing from the OP.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bandola wrote: »
    I should imagine that black people laugh at these white people copying them, and rightly so.

So they should. It's rather pathetic:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, people are so pedantic and defensive here. You know exactly what I mean.

Turquoise wrote: »
    It's called 'Jafakean', 'gangsta' or 'ghetto', and it's bad enough when black people speak like it. Now white people are joining in. Blah.

Yeah, that's it. Gangsta.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    immitation is the highest form of flattery. i doubt 'they' care.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    This is one of my pet hates.

Black people most certainly do NOT talk the same, neither do white people.

I had known someone all of two hours before they decided to inform me I talk like a white person. When I asked what that was supposed to mean, she said because I used proper sentences and pronounced my t's and didn't say 'innit'

It annoys me to no end that some people seem to think all black people use slang, talk like they're from the 'ghetto' and don't know how to form proper sentences.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you remember Abs on Celebrity Love Island (I know :o ) the way he spoke was hysterical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I had known someone all of two hours before they decided to inform me I talk like a white person. When I asked what that was supposed to mean, she said because I used proper sentences and pronounced my t's and didn't say 'innit'

It annoys me to no end that some people seem to think all black people use slang, talk like they're from the 'ghetto' and don't know how to form proper sentences.

:eek:Oh my word! I guess that means I talk 'white' too then:confused:?

What a bizarre thing to think, it sounds like something from decades ago.

Jason
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched Adulthood a few days ago (which was amazing btw:D) and alot of white people were talking ghetto.

I don't know why but it just didn't look right. But if your around that culture you're bound to pick it up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the black people I know speak with a Scottish accent :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea why some people think I'm tarring all black people with the same brush. If you read carefully, I said like Ali G or like the black guys in Ross Kemp's gangs. Can't you people read or do you just like to respond defensively on a knee jerk reaction because black has been mentioned ?? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea why some people think I'm tarring all black people with the same brush. If you read carefully, I said like Ali G or like the black guys in Ross Kemp's gangs. Can't you people read or do you just like to respond defensively on a knee jerk reaction because black has been mentioned ?? :D

The title of your thread reads, "White people speaking like black people."

That's what I was commenting on.
  • JaystarJaystar Posts: 4,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea why some people think I'm tarring all black people with the same brush. If you read carefully, I said like Ali G or like the black guys in Ross Kemp's gangs. Can't you people read or do you just like to respond defensively on a knee jerk reaction because black has been mentioned ??

You also said:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luxxy wrote: »
    The title of your thread reads, "White people speaking like black people."

That's what I was commenting on.

Well DUH, that's what the topic is about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well DUH, that's what the topic is about.

Well DUH that's what people are reacting to. Not ALL black people talk the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luxxy wrote: »
    Well DUH that's what people are reacting to. Not ALL black people talk the same.

Well DUH, once you've read the second sentence of the thread which goes " I overheard a few words from some guy in tesco today. He sounded exactly like Ali G or any of the black guys that Ross Kemp interviewed in south london gangs." it all becomes clear or should do if people actually read it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Rich kids dressing like they're poor, oh my god. White kids talking like they're black...