Options

Tax code question

AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

Just received my latest paycheque through the post and my tax code has changed from 944L C to 0T C, and my level of income tax has increased dramatically. I was wondering if anyone knew why this would be the case? I'm not back at work until tomorrow and I will be contacting payroll, but I thought I'd ask here in case anyone can shed some light on the matter before then. I have looked on the HMRC website but it's confusing me. I thought I may have been emergency taxed but that seems to be a different code?

The last time I seemed to be paying an unusually large amount of income tax was on my very first paycheque just over two years ago; then the code was 0T NC. I'm going to hazard a guess at it being something to do with the new financial year, but I only work part time and overtime is sporadic. My pay did increase by 1% a couple of months ago but that's it.

Feeling a bit daft asking, but just thought I would do before I can get in touch with my payroll department.

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tax code OT means you were being taxed as if you had no personal allowances..

What is the exact date of the payslip? As we're only on the 3rd day of the new financial year it's possibly not to do with that.

You really should ask and don't feel daft.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The date is the 9th of April (my pay goes in tomorrow). I will be ringing up (once I find out if I'm allowed to ring payroll direct myself, stupid regulations...) but just thought I'd ask here so I can know a bit more about what I'm talking about!

Thanks for replying :)
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aesa wrote: »
    The date is the 9th of April (my pay goes in tomorrow). I will be ringing up (once I find out if I'm allowed to ring payroll direct myself, stupid regulations...) but just thought I'd ask here so I can know a bit more about what I'm talking about!

Thanks for replying :)

Well the good news then is that if this is a mistake then once you get this sorted out you'll get a tax rebate automatically through PAYE, if it was from the last financial year that wouldn't be possible and you'd have had to claim it back yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah okay, thanks for your help Keefy-boy. Hopefully it is just a mistake!
  • Options
    LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Similar situation myself. Noticed on my payslip that my code was OT, which seemed wrong to me, I filled in a form on HMRC website and got a reply this morning saying my taxcode has now been changed to what it should be. And that they will let my employer know.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/email-taxcode-wrong.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Liam; that form confused me a little (I'm not dim I promise, just there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on my payslip beyond the tax code) so I gave HMRC a call and they said that it was changed accidentally and have changed it based on an estimation of what I'll earn this coming year. I may have overestimated (I live in hope...) my earnings though; I have a basic wage every four weeks then I can do overtime on top of that but obviously it's not a guaranteed amount. Does anyone know what'll happen if I'm on a higher tax rate, then I don't end up earning enough to actually be on it if that makes sense? Forgot to ask on the phone, hah.
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you're going to be earning over about £45,000 in a year, you won't be being taxed at a higher rate.

However, being on the wrong tax code means you might pay too much basic rate tax, ad your personal allowance wouldn't be taken into account.

When HMRC notify your company of your new tax coding, they should sort it out automatically, but do make a note yourself to check your payslip in March 2015, and compare your total income, and the total tax paid with what the HMRC says you should have paid - and if necessary, put in a claim for your rebate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks tellytart, that's what I meant about 'higher tax rate' hah :) I'll make sure to look into it when the time comes.
  • Options
    LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Aesa wrote: »
    Thanks Liam; that form confused me a little (I'm not dim I promise, just there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on my payslip beyond the tax code) so I gave HMRC a call and they said that it was changed accidentally and have changed it based on an estimation of what I'll earn this coming year. I may have overestimated (I live in hope...) my earnings though; I have a basic wage every four weeks then I can do overtime on top of that but obviously it's not a guaranteed amount. Does anyone know what'll happen if I'm on a higher tax rate, then I don't end up earning enough to actually be on it if that makes sense? Forgot to ask on the phone, hah.

The form confused Me too, I'm not good with this sort of stuff. But asked my father to help me and we managed to find all the relevant bits needed. I too had to estimate what I will earn in the year, As I have a basic wage and only contracted to a certain amount of hours but this can change if I get asked to do overtime. Like this past pay month I did 70 hours which is way more than I am contracted too.

I'm glad you managed to get it sorted.