The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    didnt ITV buy Gallowgate?

They were going to, but didn't in the end. James Grant Group bought it.

The Sky show was made during Ant and Dec's ownership. Looking like they may never air it now.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Well Splash did pretty well, then, as anticipated after last nights reaction. I wouldn't actually be entirely surprised if it grew next week with a bit of chatter going around - it doesn't matter whether good or bad. They've been clever enough to limit it to a few weeks long, so I can see it holding an audience rather like Lets Dance does.

Pretty expected mediocre ratings for Britain's Brightest, but Secret Service before it tanked pretty badly. They'd do well to shuffle that one earlier or out of the schedule entirely if its due to run for any length of time. Meanwhile, In It To Win It and Casualty look very aged. The latter really doesn't recover from its autumn beating quite as sharply as it once did. If the trend continues for another year or so, I think they'll wind up evaluating different options. All in all, Q1 needs a bit of a refresh - but lasts nights efforts are clearly not the way to deliver it.

With Casualty, I'd either move it to Friday nights at 9pm and make it run from September to around March or keep it on Saturday and have the series run from January to May, and then a good 7 month break till the next series. In It to Win It is looking tired. I'd have actually saved Doctor Who until this period.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Lets Dance is actually a fun concept. Splash is just a series of barely famous people falling into water in rather tame fashion to unanimous praise. It had to be seen to be believed and unless its viewers are suckers for punishment it will go down next week, probably markedly. In the meantime, tv critics will have a field day.
  • TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Lets Dance is actually a fun concept. Splash is just a series of barely famous people falling into water in rather tame fashion to unanimous praise. It had to be seen to be believed and unless its viewers are suckers for punishment it will go down next week, probably markedly. In the meantime, tv critics will have a field day.

Agreed. Could someone perhaps post what the TV critics are saying?
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superstars consolidated to 6.28m (26.4%), peaking with 7.03m (29.0%) at the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And something that went completely under the radar, the Downton Abbey repeat went from 1.92m (10.7%) to 2.62m (13.4%) - very good timeshift for a repeat.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    didnt ITV buy Gallowgate?

Saying that Gallowgate looks like exactly what it is a "vanity production company" used by big name actor/presenters to keep more of the money themselves.

I have yet to hear of Gallowgate creating a successful non Ant and Dec show.

Pokerface was a great show and sold internationally. ITV canned it after two seasons. And yes!, I know Ant & Dec present it, but they are not at all instrumental in the format so I'd like to call it a non Ant & Dec show if I may :D

I think they started Gallowgate with very good intentions, the opposite to your theory. A&D in general seem to have sold out in recent years though and will front anything high profile and high pay. Red or Black, need I say more. The return of Takeaway will be very interesting to see how much of their original passion (and I thought they used to be brilliant) is still there. I don't even rate them on I'm a Celeb anymore, I can see the 'jokes' a mile off - very predictable, pat on the back humour.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do we think Mr Selfridge will do tonight? I think a lot of people were disappointed with Ripper Street's opener and Selfridge could benefit.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Could someone perhaps post what the TV critics are saying?

TV critics don't usually review live programmes these days for the following morning as they are spoon-fed with DVDs and a programme going out at 7.15 on a Saturday night is probably too late for most editions of the Sunday papers.There will probably be reviews in tomorrow's papers.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do we think Mr Selfridge will do tonight? I think a lot of people were disappointed with Ripper Street's opener and Selfridge could benefit.

Ripper Street maintained its audience throughout. One lady I know said she thoroughly enjoyed Ripper Street. I asked her if she was going to watch Mr. Selfridge. Her answer "Is that the American version of The Paradise? No I won't watch that. Too loud and brash!" She is in her 60's.

Critics liked Ripper Street. The steady audience suggested they also liked Ripper Street. A DS forum opinion doesn't necessarily reflect the opinions of everyone who watched it.

Ripper Street may lose up to 700,000 - 1 million viewers tonight. But I think the contest between it and Mr. Selfridge will be much closer and tighter than some anticipate.

Of course BBC1 schedulers seem to have lost the plot! They should have scheduled Sunday nights from tonight like this:

5.30 Countryfile
    6.30 Antiques Roadshow
    7.30 Blandings
    8.00 Call The Midwife
    9.00 Ripper Street
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    Pokerface was a great show and sold internationally. ITV canned it after two seasons. And yes!, I know Ant & Dec present it, but they are not at all instrumental in the format so I'd like to call it a non Ant & Dec show if I may :D

I think they started Gallowgate with very good intentions, the opposite to your theory. A&D in general seem to have sold out in recent years though and will front anything high profile and high pay. Red or Black, need I say more. The return of Takeaway will be very interesting to see how much of their original passion (and I thought they used to be brilliant) is still there. I don't even rate them on I'm a Celeb anymore, I can see the 'jokes' a mile off - very predictable, pat on the back humour.
    talking about Ant and Dec selling out, I was just researching this James Grant firm and found this.

http://www.jamesgrant.com/media/news/ant-and-dec-sign-ground-breaking-saturday-night-tv-and-advertising-partnership-with-morrisons/997

Ant an Dec bouncing around Morrisions, telling us how great the staff at the store are, now that is selling out.

the quote says it all
    Ant and Dec said: “We love making shows the whole family can enjoy and Morrisons is a great family brand, so this partnership is the perfect fit.

We're really excited to be launching this collaboration with the return of 'Saturday Night Takeaway', a show we're hugely passionate about."
    it might as well say

"We love making shows the whole family can enjoy and the guy who started Morrisons was part of a family, so this partnership is the perfect fit."

Big List of clients as well.
  • TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    TV critics don't usually review live programmes these days for the following morning as they are spoon-fed with DVDs and a programme going out at 7.15 on a Saturday night is probably too late for most editions of the Sunday papers.There will probably be reviews in tomorrow's papers.

Well it made a few newspaper websites and is creating quite a stir.

Somebody like AA Gill reviewing last night's evening action would be perfect. He's seems far too middle class aimed anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    talking about Ant and Dec selling out, I was just researching this James Grant firm and found this.

http://www.jamesgrant.com/media/news/ant-and-dec-sign-ground-breaking-saturday-night-tv-and-advertising-partnership-with-morrisons/997

Ant an Dec bouncing around Morrisions, telling us how great the staff at the store are, now that is selling out.

the quote says it all

it might as well say

"We love making shows the whole family can enjoy and the guy who started Morrisons was part of a family, so this partnership is the perfect fit."

Big List of clients as well.

Yes if you want to be 'in' with ITV, being a James Grant client is a good place to be. Not that that was A&D's intention really, they are probably the best known long term client.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splash did well last night then and was around what I expected it to get. Same for Britain's Brightest. CBB is putting in a strong performance for Channel 5.

In it To Win It and Casualty both did OK, but it would be nicer to see both shows nearer the 6m figure in the overnights.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Ripper Street maintained its audience throughout. One lady I know said she thoroughly enjoyed Ripper Street. I asked her if she was going to watch Mr. Selfridge. Her answer "Is that the American version of The Paradise? No I won't watch that. Too loud and brash!" She is in her 60's.

Critics liked Ripper Street. The steady audience suggested they also liked Ripper Street. A DS forum opinion doesn't necessarily reflect the opinions of everyone who watched it.

Ripper Street may lose up to 700,000 - 1 million viewers tonight. But I think the contest between it and Mr. Selfridge will be much closer and tighter than some anticipate.

Of course BBC1 schedulers seem to have lost the plot! They should have scheduled Sunday nights from tonight like this:

5.30 Countryfile
    6.30 Antiques Roadshow
    7.30 Blandings
    8.00 Call The Midwife
    9.00 Ripper Street
    My mum, 60, who loves Downton Abbey and programmes of that nature, is sticking with Ripper Street despite it being 'gruesome' and recording Mr Selfridge just to see what it's like.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Mail On Sunday has an article today slating Splash and quoting twitter comments under the headline "Splash! greeted by waves of derision as viewers dive for the off switch". Headline a bit wrong. No significant off-switching; no more than you would expect from any new show. We wait to see what happens next week.

Casualty back on top of BBC1's Saturday rating but with an uninspiring figure. Might consolidate to 6m which is reasonable but it should be doing better.

The Mail may be right if viewers did switch off in droves but that was offset by the gradual prime time building of the audience, like Brightest got, or people seeing tweets about how awful it was. I don't subscribe to the view it held steady, it was a bit up and down and it didn't grow like Brightest did, or how Strictly does as it heads towards 8pm.

I reckon it will be sub 5m next week, possibly no more than 4m.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    My mum, 60, who loves Downton Abbey and programmes of that nature, is sticking with Ripper Street despite it being 'gruesome' and recording Mr Selfridge just to see what it's like.

Mr Selfridges doesn't look great on the trailer, bit dull and "ITV's version of The Paradise".

But it will surely outrate Ripper St. I reckon 7.5m to 4.8m in the overnights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mail may be right if viewers did switch off in droves but that was offset by the gradual prime time building of the audience, like Brightest got, or people seeing tweets about how awful it was. I don't subscribe to the view it held steady, it was a bit up and down and it didn't grow like Brightest did, or how Strictly does as it heads towards 8pm.

I reckon it will be sub 5m next week, possibly no more than 4m.

There is nothing on either BBC1 or ITV that is "must see" on Saturday nights. They might as well just run movies on both channels for the six weeks after Christmas. When did Saturday night January TV get so bad?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw some of Splash in the pub last night as it followed the football, but the general reaction was it was rubbish and yet another Z list celebrity show. 5.49 million is good, but with clapped out YBF as lead in next time, I estimate viewing figures will be below 4 million. However, BBC One's offerings last night were dire and I'm glad the evening shows flopped.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »

ITV better hope that that lady's view of Mr Selfridge's is in a minority cos British viewers don't go for American television:rolleyes:

Ian Hyland in the Mail On Sunday about Ripper Street:
    "...I thought it was a well written, well acted, well paced, highly promising slice of drama.
    And tonight's second episode is even better."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I saw some of Splash in the pub last night as it followed the football, but the general reaction was it was rubbish and yet another Z list celebrity show. 5.49 million is good, but with clapped out YBF as lead in next time, I estimate viewing figures will be below 4 million. However, BBC One's offerings last night were dire and I'm glad the evening shows flopped.

Animal Antics was indeed embarrassing. The bloke dressed as a dog was cringeworthy beyond belief.

Richard Hammonds Secret Service is toe curlingly dire. Who ever commissioned this show obviously has no idea how to cater for BBC1 audiences.

Britains Brightest is a good concept, a good show but lost in a sea of lacklustre offerings.

We have reached the point of no return for light entertainment. Very serious situation indeed.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    CITV
    09:25 - Mike and Angelo: 150k (2.3%)
    09:50 - Super Gran: 203k (2.9%)
    10:15 - Wizadora: 240k (3.1%)
    10:30 - T-Bag: 304k (3.8%)
    10:50 - Engie Benjy: 234k (3.0%)
    11:05 - The Raggy Dolls: 308k (3.9%)
    11:15 - Puddle Lane: 297k (3.8%)
    11:35 - Count Duckula: 349k (4.4%)
    12:00 - The Sooty Show: 396k (4.6%)
    12:25 - Art Attack: 377k (4.2%)
    12:40 - The Big Bang: 345k (3.5%)
    13:00 - Finders Keepers: 411k (4.0%)
    13:30 - Fun House: 403k (3.7%)
    14:00 - Knightmare: 361k (3.2%)
    14:30 - Fraggle Rock: 324k (3.0%)
    15:00 - The Worst Witch: 199k (1.7%)
    15:30 - Woof!: 247k (2.0%)
    16:00 - Dramarama: 145k (1.0%)
    16:30 - Press Gang: 163k (1.0%)
    17:00 - The Tomorrow People: 134k (0.7%)
    17:30 - Children's Ward: 83.5k (0.4%)

Good chance of a good timeshift though for the later programmes as I imagine a lot recorded them to watch at another point.
    The most fascinating set of ratings we've seen in a while, though I guess we kind to know how CITV usually rates on a Saturday to put things into perspective. I expected the later shows to do better but I suspect they appealed less to the kids of todays, which from the Finders Keepers demos probably made up half of the audience.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Finders Keepers:

Children 4-15 - 159k (10.7%)
    Adults 16-24 - 5k (0.9%)
    Adults 25-34 - 179k (12.6%)
    Adults 35-44 - 51k (3.8%)
    Adults 45-54 - 10k (0.6%)
    Adults 55-64 - 7k (0.5%)
    Adults 65+ - zero
    Thanks - that kind of makes sense. I'm smack bang in the middle of the 25-34 demo and most of these shows are from my era. Finders Keepers and Fun House probably two of the shows today's kids watched yesterday and didn't think "what the ****?", while they'd be of absolutely no interest to pensioners who aren't going to get nostalgic about kids shows that aired when they were 45.
    Neck and neck I think. Ripper Street held up well last week across the hour and should keep 5m+ tonight. ITV are desperate for Mr Selfridge to be the next Downton but I don't think it will be - probably 5-6m IMO. Essentially though although both period pieces they're very different dramas.
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Splash started well then. I wasn't expecting 5.5m for it - about a million lower so it exceeded my expectations. The breakdown is extremely stable too. Its too long though. No need to be 90 minutes.

TMO back up to 4m+ now it doesn't face SCD. 2 series back-to-back though does seem like overkill and could ultimately result in its demise. Overexposure is never good for any show really.

Britan's Brighest did OK. Watched about the first 15mins and stopped after that - was just boring and very dull for Saturday night TV. Maybe that's why Splash did well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually the Iron Lady premieres tonight.

As the landslide winner of 3 general elections and the woman who saved Britain from going to the dogs, I trust this will get a sizeable audience. I'd hope for 3-4m, but it's a tough slot with Ripper St and Selfridges against it.

Maybe all 3 will dent each other?
This discussion has been closed.