Doctor Who Series 7 Episode 12: The Crimson Horror 04/05/2013 BBC1 6:30pm

Comments

• FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always amazes me how many people can call an ep excellent when I think average

It always amazes me how many people don't call an episode excellent when I think it is. I don't understand how people can have a different opinion from me. Well I can, it means they are wrong.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the individual elements of this story were good, but it ended up being a bit of a mess because there were too many ideas competing for attention. Was this meant to be a gothic horror story or a bit of light relief? It felt like it was trying to be both, and for me the humour diluted what could have been a properly horrific story of parental abuse and Victorian values gone mad.

Dr Who stories aren't morality plays - they are Saturday night entertainment that has scary dark bits in it.

I thought it fitted together very well - nothing jarring with going from humour to more serious bits - the stories this year have been very linear...as are most. This episode just had a few more threads running along the story with a couple of groups of characters moving the story along but that isn;t that different from any other story(especially the old Who ones where there could be the Dr and assistant separated, the baddies having their own scenes, and sometimes other people plotting against the baddies having their own scenes.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    After Cold War (and, to be honest, most of Gatiss's Who scripts) my hopes for this weren't high. But it was bloody marvellous.

Now give us the Victorian Avengers please.

Actually I think they would make a great Victorian Torchwood team
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed that one......except for the bloody kids at the end:mad:
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough but in my opinion that's where you get the ambiguity. Anyway I tend to vote excellent just to balance out these lower scores as my way of indicating my support for the show in general. As long as the top three poll ratings are well into the 60s I am happy.

That's ridiculous! What the point? I doesn't help the show in any way and just means that the poll results are completely worthless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was with 11 smooching everyone ?. Jenny is gay and married so what he's selling she's not buying.

No kiss was sexual - she had just saved his life and he was a bit hyper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope so or at least some of it. Next week hide behind the sofa time the cybermen are back!.

SPOILER.SPOILER.SPOILER.SPOILER.SPOILER.SPOILER.SPOILER.SPOILER.SPOILER.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Thanks for ruining the reveal for me next week...I studiously avoid any spoilers about future episodes and now you;ve put a SPOLIER in a thread not related to that show.

Thank you.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »
    That's ridiculous! What the point? I doesn't help the show in any way and just means that the poll results are completely worthless.
    But there are already people who vote for the lowest option available, within seconds of the show starting if possible (and if the poll is up soon enough even before it starts).

So a few of the highest votes and a few of the lowest votes always cancel out, as in all surveys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Actually I think they would make a great Victorian Torchwood team
    Given that Torchwood were set up to curb alien influence, I'm surprised they haven't tracked the trio down yet.

In fact they also have a rule that all alien technology belongs to them, so there's a whole load of armour, blast rifle and grenades waiting. :D
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Thanks for ruining the reveal for me next week...I studiously avoid any spoilers about future episodes and now you;ve put a SPOLIER in a thread not related to that show.

Thank you.

A little part of me is hoping for sarcasm. A Doctor Who discussion forum is not the perfect place to avoid official news. The spoiler policy does not quite cover that.

Sara is not at fault.
    David Tennant is back for the 50th!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    When it comes to her army of supermodels, I did wonder if that was another effect of the goo (although how a paralyzing goo can turn you into a slave I don't know), or just a bunch of Charles Manson level insane disciples, but I guess we're supposed to think the former.
    Were we? I assumed they were fanatical "true believers".

Every mad prophet has to have 'em.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite enjoyed this, though i felt the ending was rather tacked on and would have been better at the start of next weeks episode.

On the whole it worked well, good solid story, good supporting cast. I particularly enjoyed the flash back sequence.

8/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    A little part of me is hoping for sarcasm. A Doctor Who discussion forum is not the perfect place to avoid official news. The spoiler policy does not quite cover that.

Yes, I know Tennant is back...since so many thread titles have said that - also you do realise that spoilers become unhidden when replying to a post like I just did.

It was not sarcasm...there is enough discussion on how to cope with spoilers and the fact that people do not like to know what is coming up that most people respect that and do not post things about future episodes in threads on previous shows and keep spoilers out or in spoilers...it's just not British to do spoil things for others.

It isn't difficult to do you know...it is very rare these days that someone posts somehting like that.
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    But there are already people who vote for the lowest option available, within seconds of the show starting if possible (and if the poll is up soon enough even before it starts).

So a few of the highest votes and a few of the lowest votes always cancel out, as in all surveys.

But they don't really cancel each other out! It doesn't work like that in a multiple option poll. The best way to combat automatic low votes is for as many people as possible to vote according to how they enjoyed the episode. Voting excellent every time just screws it up even more. As for voting excellent to support the show? Well that's lost on me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Were we? I assumed they were fanatical "true believers".

Every mad prophet has to have 'em.

Well, yes just look at any good Bond villian...always people working for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Thank you.

You are joking? The trailers been on about 20 times and its been front page on DS, and discussed in non spoiler threads.

You have to be being sarcastic? It's called nightmare in silver for flips sake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I know Tennant is back...since so many thread titles have said that - also you do realise that spoilers become unhidden when replying to a post like I just did.

It was not sarcasm...there is enough discussion on how to cope with spoilers and the fact that people do not like to know what is coming up that most people respect that and do not post things about future episodes in threads on previous shows and keep spoilers out or in spoilers...it's just not British to do spoil things for others.

It isn't difficult to do you know...it is very rare these days that someone posts somehting like that.

Not classed as a general spoiler. A personal spoiler, perhaps.

If you're avoiding the Doctor Who site, BBC news releases, episode posters, writer information, next time trailers, tv trailers & promo pics... then really you should add discussion forums, because there's nothing stopping this information from appearing in any thread.

You have unfairly blamed Sara_P for releasing a 'spoiler' which is actually well publicised news. Yes, I'm going to bring it up.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Anything that has been aired cannot be considered a spoiler. You can blame the BBC for spoiling it if you like, but not the poster.

Clearly the BBC did not intend the subject of the episode to be a surprise.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the episode, very good, I found the episode a rollercoaster:D

Miss Gillyflower was quite a character, I was gonnna shout Boo at the screen:D

who is Dastardly Donnai? It was mentioned on a poster in the episode.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Rani
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I think when the identity of next weeks villain is mentioned on screen in Next Week bit attached to the episode it's a little unfair to criticise people for mentioning it. I know what it's like to want to avoid spoilers. I used to be extremely careful to avoid and get annoyed at things like spoilers in thread titles. But I'm afraid the fact that a certain villain is in the Next Time trailer, on the front cover of magazines in newsagents means that it isn't really a spoiler.

I now accept many of these things as low level hazards of choosing to participate in a forum. Which doesn't excuse rude people who post actual details from episodes in thread titles (the bloke who keeps posting details of fan pics taken on the set of the 50th episode in actual thread titles for goodness sake. When there are already general spoiler threads for it. Attention seeking annoying people. Grrrr)
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    A good episode, probably the best Gatiss script. And I do love the Victorian scooby-gang.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The doctor planted a romantic kiss on Jenny! And got a slap for it. He also kissed Clara and Ada.

Yes I noticed the Jenny one when I was watching the making of video, I was doing a Tesco shop at the time so must have just missed those ones,
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    Wow, where did that one come from:eek:

I haven't been as entertained from start to finish by an episode of Who for what seems a long long time now, probably going way back to the Lodger.

The pacing was spot on with many lovely horror nods and homages, in fact I wouldnt had been at all surprised if the blind girl started ladling scolding hot soup into the 'monsters' lap.:D

Absolutely loved the the squishing of the parasite at the end, a genuine laugh out loud moment.

A wonderful cast all round, and a glorious turn by Dame Diane Rigg. 'You know what these are?........the wrong hands! wonderful line superbly played. The whole episode was packed with glorious dialogue.

By far Mark Gatis' finest episode since 'The Unquiet Dead' (a persona gave of mine)

I've not particularly been that a big fan of Vastra, Jenny and Strax but thought they all worked extremely well in this episode and surely a spin off should be on the cards.

Yes there were glaring plot holes but if an episode is as out and out entertaining as this then they are easier to forgive.

I tend to rate Doctor Who far more higher if an episode achieves what it sets out to do, so if a comedy episode sets out to be fun and pulls it off then I rate it higher than any sci-fi context working or not.

So as a fun episode, for me this up there with the best fun episodes. Loved every second of it.

10/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are joking? The trailers been on about 20 times and its been front page on DS, and discussed in non spoiler threads.

You have to be being sarcastic? It's called nightmare in silver for flips sake.

Strangely enough I don't watch much BBC TV so haven't seen any trailer and when I do watch BBC TV it's normally recorded so I avoid anything like that, I don't look at any other part of DS, I never assume what a title means.