Options

UKTV GOLD goes free on freeview!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
Forum Member
as the title says! i was just flicking through the channels and found that uktv gold is not scrambled. i have a standard freeview box with no card slot. any one know why its free? is this forever or just for 2day?

Comments

• Options
    JacquicrosslandJacquicrossland Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on freeview without encryption showing New Tricks at 10.55pm (I just did a look at channels I've not on my favourites list after TISWAS)
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's un-encrypted at the moment.
  • Options
    Rob500Rob500 Posts: 3,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's great news :)
  • Options
    Rob500Rob500 Posts: 3,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it will most probably close at 2am, so if it still works at 2pm tomorrow then we might be able to safely say it has gone FTA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know why it's gone unencrypted? Is it a mistake? Maybe a trial period, or perhaps for good?

Earlier this evening I noticed Setanta Sports was broadcasting free too, but this has gone off air now. Must have been using the same mux.
  • Options
    jaykojayko Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GavPowers wrote: »
    Does anyone know why it's gone unencrypted? Is it a mistake? Maybe a trial period, or perhaps for good?

Earlier this evening I noticed Setanta Sports was broadcasting free too, but this has gone off air now. Must have been using the same mux.

Maybe changing something with the encryption or fixing a bug. dont expect it to last.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Just checked and free over here too, which is great news. I wonder how long it will last - it's one of the channels I always thought would be perfectly suited to freeview. It shows in limited hours, and there are plenty of other good UKTV channels, so it would encourage people that want to see more to move to sky or cable, but would show some of the best previous uk programs to a wide audience and get good advertising revenue as well.

It'll be nice while it lasts, but I doubt it's here to stay for long, seeing as it's a TUTV channel rather than UKTV Gold themself, the possibility for it to stay isn't really there either.

Is it an accident or is it intentional?
  • Options
    DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Not working on mine...still reads as scrambled.
  • Options
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting it too, let's hope it lasts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    wow just checked here too its working!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Setanta is supposed to be free this time of day I think but seems to be encrypted - maybe they unencrypted the wrong channel?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    N00N00 wrote: »
    Setanta is supposed to be free this time of day I think but seems to be encrypted - maybe they unencrypted the wrong channel?

No Setanta's only free from 7pm until 10pm. You posted after this time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N00N00 wrote: »

Setanta is only free between 7pm and 10pm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob500 wrote: »
    Well it will most probably close at 2am, so if it still works at 2pm tomorrow then we might be able to safely say it has gone FTA.

UKTV Gold doesn't broadcast til 4pm, and stops at 1am
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a mistake
    They are on the same Mux, but use a different broadcast stream....the 2 channels broadcast simultaneously.

Setanta is currently free to all from 7pm til 10pm for a ten day period
    Top Up TV wrote: »
    Hi All,

This is an official announcement from Top Up TV:

Top Up TV Sports fans are in for treat over the next ten days. Setanta Sports Channel 34 will be broadcast unencrypted between 7pm and 10pm until June 22nd allowing all Freeview customers to view the channel for free (as long as they have rescanned their Top Up TV DTR box). So to get a taste of the great sport on offer tune in for the next 10 days to see what you are missing. In addition, Top Up TV and Setanta Sports have joined forces to bring Top Up TV+ customers an amazing offer, when customers subscribe to Setanta Sports they will pay just £10.99 for the first month plus a £10 connection fee and get two months free. This offer is valid until June 23rd.

- ends -

Unfortunately we won't be able to answer replies to this thread, but we wanted you to know about this offer.

Regards

Top Up TV
    Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=15277007&postcount=1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How do you know it's a mistake?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jin666 wrote: »
    How do you know it's a mistake?
    Because there has be no announcements to the contrary
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    UKTV Gold is on mine but it has pixelated. It might go to fta because BBC AND Virgin Media Tevevision own it. So BBC might want it fta because of licence fee and Virgin Media TevevisioN might want it free to compete with sky on freeview.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Hurrah! UKTV Gold on Freeview :D

I'm making the most of this whilst it lasts. (I imagine it's a mistake)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It will last look wat it says on wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UKTV_Gold
  • Options
    markelliottmarkelliott Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    domlamb wrote: »
    It will last look wat it says on wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UKTV_Gold

Anyone can edit information on Wikipedia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it says on wikipedia it has gone free
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Ahh yes. Wikipedia, the gospel of truth :D

I imagine someone is just latching onto the fact that it's currently airing on Freeview now, as I am confident it would have been announced earlier in the week if it was going FTA.

That's not to say they might not be trialing it on Freeview. I certainly hope so :)
  • Options
    markelliottmarkelliott Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it says on wikipedia it has gone free

As I said on the other thread - Anyone can edit information on Wikipedia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So what time is it back on Top Up TV tomorrow? Everyone check then to see if it's still encrypted.