EE Terms Refresh - Whats it mean

lambylamby Posts: 3,518
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey

Is this EE covering themselves (after the OFCOM ruling) to increase prices if they are under the RPI withouth being able to cancel?

http://help.ee.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?ARTICLE_ID=3596937&CONFIGURATION=1016&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=null&segment=consumer&isSecure=false&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE

Comments

• japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No as it relates only to pre 23 Jan contracts. The reason for the change is because of the mess they made with the T-Mobile price increase last year which allowed a lot of people to cancel their contracts because of the confusion over which month's RPI rate applied.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well as long as they're not playing an O2 its all good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit perplexed by this. They've said I have a right to cancel yet I've not even seen by how much my tariff is supposed to be increasing by?!
  • KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    Bit confused by this, contacted me yesterday to say they're increasing my price plan charge but doesn't say by how much and also states that, "you can cancel your plan without charge" so I'd be tempted to cancel if they don't bother telling me how much it' going to cost.
  • lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isnt the paragraph just showing the changes to the T&C's?

Not meaning there IS a price increase?
  • KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    lamby wrote: »
    Isnt the paragraph just showing the changes to the T&C's?

Not meaning there IS a price increase?

Decided to call them up, bloke on the phone said it might increase to the point that people can cancel without incurring a charge but you have to wait until the end of March to see if it does indeed increase.

Also said they've received quite a few calls about it and that the text message and site could be a little better worded.
  • lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keller wrote: »
    Decided to call them up, bloke on the phone said it might increase to the point that people can cancel without incurring a charge but you have to wait until the end of March to see if it does indeed increase.

Also said they've received quite a few calls about it and that the text message and site could be a little better worded.

Interesting, S5 is out soon......................
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    So I could cancel my contract as I got this contract in December 2012?
  • interactiv-ukinteractiv-uk Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well as long as they're not playing an O2 its all good.

EE are doing exactly the same as O2..

http://ukmobilereview.com/2014/02/ee-reveals-updated-terms-conditions-march/

Prices can move up by RPI once per year. If they try to do it more than that ten you have the right to cancel.
  • jammie82ukjammie82uk Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    EE are doing exactly the same as O2..

http://ukmobilereview.com/2014/02/ee-reveals-updated-terms-conditions-march/

Prices can move up by RPI once per year. If they try to do it more than that ten you have the right to cancel.

No they haven't new terms only apply to people who have taken or renewed a contract with EE before the new ofcom date (23rd jan)
    Contracts taken out or renewed after 23rd jan will be covered by the new ofcom ruling
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new ruling still allows prices to go up by RPI every year... It just has to be allowed for in the contract T&Cs. Which funny enough, is what EE are doing...
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Worrying how many people seem to believe the OFCOM ruling outlawed contract price increases.

Let's be clear on this, the ruling simply states that the customer has to be informed when agreeing to a contract that it might rise in line with inflation.
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody tried to reject the new terms?
    Forum Member
    Ofcom said that customers must be given 30 days' notice of any price rise in their monthly subscription - even if it is within the level of inflation.

A provider must then allow a customer to exit their contract without a penalty.

Mid-term price rises are allowed, but must be made clear to consumers.
    Forum Member
    Customers can only exit if the rise is above inflation.

So in actual fact the ruling has not changed from the terms before.
    Forum Member
    sethpet wrote: »
    Customers can only exit if the rise is above inflation.

So in actual fact the ruling has not changed from the terms before.

that is incorrect

an example taken from the ofcom website

The subscriber agrees and enters into a 24-month contract for services on terms that the core subscription price will be £10 per month. The contract also contains a term to the effect that the Communications Provider may increase the agreed core subscription price by up to a certain amount, percentage or index-linked level (such as RPI). Ofcom is likely to treat any exercise of the discretion to increase this agreed price during the fixed minimum term of the contract as a modification meeting GC9.6’s material detriment requirement.

so unless it is written in the contract the way o2 have done it with a compulsory rise every 12 months you will be able to leave
    Forum Member
    Every network has that in there terms and has done for years.
    Forum Member
    sethpet wrote: »
    Every network has that in there terms and has done for years.

yes but this has clarified the rules concerning a key phrase: material detriment

before 23rd jan the ruling stated that prices could go up (or down) as long as it wasn't material detriment to the customer
    if the price went up (RPI or otherwise) the companies would claim that it wasn't material detriment to the customer and the matter would be more or less closed
    The problem was the lack of a formal definition.

after the 23rd jan ofcom have clarified that material detriment to the customer will mean no price rises including no RPI rises within your contract without giving a months notice and releasing you from your contract if you don't accept the price rise
    unless it is written in the T&C's which nobody has done apart from o2
  • IkariMIkariM Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    lamby wrote: »
    Hey

Is this EE covering themselves (after the OFCOM ruling) to increase prices if they are under the RPI withouth being able to cancel?

http://help.ee.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?ARTICLE_ID=3596937&CONFIGURATION=1016&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=null&segment=consumer&isSecure=false&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE

I would keep an eye on this thread on the Moneysavingexpert forums, these guys are very clued up. :D

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4888862
    Forum Member
    IkariM wrote: »
    I would keep an eye on this thread on the Moneysavingexpert forums, these guys are very clued up. :D

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4888862

Have had a look at that most look clueless and clutching at straws
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    The reasons for changing the Orange and the T-Mobile are slightly different, but amount to the same thing.

The old clauses were unenforceable, so if anybody cared to challenge them either via the adjudication service (CISAS) or the Small Claims Court EE had to reverse the price increase for those customers (I know - I beat Orange on two contracts last year, and had a T-Mobile contract cancelled penalty free).

The substantive point here is that if EE notify you of a change of T&Cs you have the right to a PENALTY FREE CANCELLATION*. You can only get the free cancellation if request it within 30 days of receiving the change notification.

If you contact EE on this they will tell you that you can't cancel and will fight you all of the way, but trust me 3 or 4 emails and a final "summary" to CISAS (it costs you nothing) and you will be out of your contract penalty free

* You keep your phone, you receive a PAC code, and (if say it takes 3 months to sort this out )the cancellation is backdated to when you first requested it - so EE have to refund any sums paid from the date you requested termination (so 3 months free use of the phone too). :)
    Forum Member
    jammie82uk wrote: »
    Have had a look at that most look clueless and clutching at straws

I'm from that forum!

Trust me you can win this against EE. Send the template email from that site - you have nothing to lose and a very very good chance of wining.

When I first tried to cancel my T-Mobile contract even Ofcom publically stated that T-Mobile had acted reasonably - and guess what - about 95% of those who fought their case won!

I said before I have also won two cases against Orange. We all seem to think that these big companies must be acting within the law and we can't do anything, but all they are relying on is consumer ignorance to do as they please!
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    So does all this mean we can't currently cancel the contract? Maybe until March dependant on how high EE's price rise is?

My understanding from the letter is that they have changed their terms and con's but have not yet fell foul of any old conditions as they haven't yet announced the price increase.

I am not at all happy about EE changing my contract in the middle of it.

I took out mine in June last year by the way.
    Forum Member
    So does all this mean we can't currently cancel the contract? Maybe until March dependant on how high EE's price rise is?

My understanding from the letter is that they have changed their terms and con's but have not yet fell foul of any old conditions as they haven't yet announced the price increase.

I am not at all happy about EE changing my contract in the middle of it.

I took out mine in June last year by the way.

The fact EE have changed the T&Cs means you CAN cancel the contract. If you wait until they actually increase prices you WON'T be able to cancel - it will be too late.

If you want to cancel you have to do it NOW.
  • SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact EE have changed the T&Cs means you CAN cancel the contract. If you wait until they actually increase prices you WON'T be able to cancel - it will be too late.

If you want to cancel you have to do it NOW.

sorry to be stupid, but to clarify, I took out an EE contract in November 2013. I recently received a text informing me that the contract terms are changing. Am I able to cancel free of any penalty and keep my phone? Or is it only t mobile / orange contract customers ?

Thanks