Options

PS4 reveal at PlayStation Meeting 2013???

Comments

• Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well from what I'm reading on here Sony would do well to give details of first party PS4 games at their reveal, I mean, leading with a Wii U style controller isn't going to be exactly 'seeing the future' as their logo for the PS meeting would suggest, not when the Wii U is already using such tech - and not exactly making a massive success of it either.

It's looking like exclusives and raw power are going to be what drives the PS4 forward, just like with the PS3. Not necessarily a bad thing but Microsoft might be able to snatch some serious limelight with their Kinect 2, after all Kinect was quite popular.... for a while!

I look forward to what Sony shows us.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    False. Grand Theft Auto V is an Xbox 360 and PS3 title, the delay is causing some worry as there's going to be a huge focus on Next Gen come later the year, which people are saying will make GTA V look dated on arrival.

But if rumours are true then some devs have had the ps4 kit since the middle. Of last year and love it.

GTA 5 could be ps3 and ps4, just seems odd that if ps4 is to launch this year it would be at the end of september in the states/japan.

Guess we will find out more in the coming weeks and months
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet the Vita was launched later and the Wii U was launched later.

It's just how things are, focus on one region at a time to launch.
    Yes, see, I didn't mean worldwide launch on the same day, I was meaning not having a similar to the PS3 - a 4 month wait.

The Wii U launched here 2 weeks after the US, hardly a long wait and perfectly acceptable.
    I'm not interested in turning the thread into grammatical warfare, so I'll skip over the first point. :)

As for the rest of your post, the proposed later release date for Europe is supposedly due to it being a much more complex market, rather than a manufacturing issue.

A standard product will ship all over Japan, and the same thing will happen in the USA.

But within Europe, they have to contend with many different languages on the console menus, in the manuals and the software. There are different types of plugs. Different TV standards. Different currencies. Varying sales taxes. Different attitudes to marketing etc etc etc. This will take longer to organise and get right.
    Not quite sure how you think currency and taxes is going to affect time.

'Hi Mr Norway we want to send some PS4s over to you'.
    'Oh great, we have Norway Monies, please be sure to pay in that'.
    'Oh, drat, that will take months to obtain!'

Stuff like localisation and marketing also do not take that long, and if you have half a brain you make marketing that will translate worldwide, though agree Sony does have a history of making completely different campaigns.

You actually left out the only real problem for Europe. Distribution.

Way too many distribution points.
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    homer2012 wrote: »
    But if rumours are true then some devs have had the ps4 kit since the middle. Of last year and love it.

GTA 5 could be ps3 and ps4, just seems odd that if ps4 is to launch this year it would be at the end of september in the states/japan.

Guess we will find out more in the coming weeks and months

of course devs love it, they are using x86 pc parts. Since most development is done on PC and then ported, their job just got much easier and any pc release just got much cheaper.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Changing the controller would be a massive mistake why change whats working so well. Read that the new system could be around the £300 mark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starting to get picked up on mainstream media now, this.

All saying it points to the PS4.

Can you imagine now if they weren't going to show it and this was for something else?

What a disappointment it'd be!

Or maybe it will force Sony's hand!
  • Options
    mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it must be PS4 for exactly that reason. Sony would know that making such a teaser trailer would lead 90% of people to thinking it's PS4 and they'd be disappointed to be anything else. An amazing reveal would become a disappointing one just by their own hype actions, and they would absolutely know this. If it was anything else they'd have killed off any hope of it being PS4 immediately. Therefore this must be PS4.

However don't get excited about it being PS4 soon - I'd still expect it to be Q3 2014, or thereabouts.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony, as times, seem to like to leave us disappointed.
  • Options
    NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as they show trailers (rendered or otherwise) for next gen versions of Uncharted, Infamous, Ratchet and Clank, GT, Killzone, God of War etc. I will be sold. It happens to me every time:rolleyes:
    I have already had a few tentative discussions with the missus on this.... "You know I will be getting this day 1 right?...":p

I hope they don't change the controller too much - but a central touch pad between the two sticks would be okay. The rear touch pad on the vita works really well, and could have some interesting gameplay uses I guess.

I am never overly fussed on BC really - I will not be selling my PS3s so I can always just use them I guess. Gaikai must play some part on the next gen console though, and that would offer a way to achieve BC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    mojobrew wrote: »
    I think it must be PS4 for exactly that reason. Sony would know that making such a teaser trailer would lead 90% of people to thinking it's PS4 and they'd be disappointed to be anything else. An amazing reveal would become a disappointing one just by their own hype actions, and they would absolutely know this. If it was anything else they'd have killed off any hope of it being PS4 immediately. Therefore this must be PS4.

However don't get excited about it being PS4 soon - I'd still expect it to be Q3 2014, or thereabouts.
    Not really, if they turn around and dismiss any notion of the announcement being related to PS4 then a lot of interest will disappear. By saying nothing they are generating the maximum amount of interest. If people choose to automatically jump to the conclusion that it is related to the PS4 then that's not Sony's fault, and they have no obligation to dismiss or confirm reports and speculation.

That's not to say it isn't related to the PS4, I have no idea like most of us. But I don't think any of us should jump to the conclusion that it must be related to the PS4 simply because Sony haven't denied it, and if it isn't relating to the PS4 then it would be a disappointing announcement. If Sony dismiss that the announcement is related to this or that, then interest goes down and people are more likely to guess what the announcement is about. They want maximum exposure, and by saying nothing it keeps speculation high and generates lots of publicity.

It could be a new version of the Vita, or a Super Slim PS3. Sony have made numerous statements even recently that would suggest the PS4 is not likely to be announced yet (for example http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/01/sony-might-make-ps4-announcement-after-microsoft/). It will be cool if it is unveiled, but personally I'd be surprised if it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojobrew wrote: »

Q3 2014? Nahhhhhh!

If it isn't PS4 it has to be something really good.

Probably can't read too much into it, as it was probably made by the same group of people but the Gaikai website has near identical styling in terms of the glass effects and on the about page it does say the 'future' is bright.

www.gaikai.com
  • Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if its Q3 2014 thats a long time to wait for a new console.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I think Sony would love a World Wide release but maybe they cant cause there will be problems with shipments.

I think We will get it maybe in Early Feb/Early March 2014
  • Options
    kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    Q3 2014? Nahhhhhh!

If it isn't PS4 it has to be something really good.

Probably can't read too much into it, as it was probably made by the same group of people but the Gaikai website has near identical styling in terms of the glass effects and on the about page it does say the 'future' is bright.

www.gaikai.com

Well the ps3 got revealed May 05, and released November 06, so late 2014 might not be too far off the mark. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    I think Sony would love a World Wide release but maybe they cant cause there will be problems with shipments.

I think We will get it maybe in Early Feb/Early March 2014

Surely in this day and age there's really no excuse to not be able to do a worldwide release? Or at least for the major console buying countries like the UK. You'd think that with Europe being such a large market that they'd want to get it out for November-ish to exploit the Christmas shoppers.
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Europe is very difficult, by LAW a product has to cover a large range of languages, etc, before it can be sold in Europe, even a simple thing like a small instruction manual that no one reads has to be translated into at least EFIGS before it can be released here!
  • Options
    stokesy_9stokesy_9 Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Be interesting to see what ps and xbox bring out and what features they will have. I shall do what I did for this gen, choose the one with the best specs and game exclusives (imo ;))
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Got £200 for my ps4 fund, just started my 3d projector fund too :)
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Japanese newspaper has claimed that the PS4 will launch at ¥40,000

A direct currency exchange puts that at around £273, but I think it's highly unlikely that will be our price, as it always works out more expensive for us.

£285 - £299 perhaps? I'd be happy with that.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Japanese newspaper has claimed that the PS4 will launch at ¥40,000

A direct currency exchange puts that at around £273, but I think it's highly unlikely that will be our price, as it always works out more expensive for us.

£285 - £299 perhaps? I'd be happy with that.

£329 - £350 seems more likely to me if the queued price is actually true.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    £329 - £350 seems more likely to me if the queued price is actually true.

Looking at the Vita 3G launch prices, (£205 in Japan, £260 over here) you might be right.

That said, the PS3 lauched at the equivalent of £410 in Japan, with only a small £15 hike to £425 over here.

At ¥40,000 PS4 would launch at 2/3 the cost of the PS3.

2/3 of the PS3's UK launch price would be £283.

That's all assuming of course that the reported price is correct to start with, and fluctuations in the exchange rate. We might not even get a price on the 20th.

Speculation is fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Europe is very difficult, by LAW a product has to cover a large range of languages, etc, before it can be sold in Europe, even a simple thing like a small instruction manual that no one reads has to be translated into at least EFIGS before it can be released here!
    Had no idea about that. I just assumed manufacturers put 500 languages in manuals to save printing 500 different manuals.

Either way, translation is hardly difficult.
    Looking at the Vita 3G launch prices, (£205 in Japan, £260 over here) you might be right.

That said, the PS3 lauched at the equivalent of £410 in Japan, with only a small £15 hike to £425 over here.

At ¥40,000 PS4 would launch at 2/3 the cost of the PS3.

2/3 of the PS3's UK launch price would be £283.

That's all assuming of course that the reported price is correct to start with, and fluctuations in the exchange rate. We might not even get a price on the 20th.

Speculation is fun.
    I don't think we'll get a price.

I'm pretty sure at E3 2005 they just showed the console and the specs and then gave the price at E3 2006.

Also, given they're going before Microsoft, I can't see them showing a price now. They'll wait for MS I think.

I personally think PS4 will more expensive than the Xbox, but by no more than $50 and I think the Xbox, if it has multiple SKUs again, will start from $299.

It all depends what is in the package. If they go Wii U on us and bundle some bullshit into each console then yeah it won't be $299.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the next-gen RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRR!
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want a PS4 until I can throw my flat screen TV down the stairs in 'Home' like they told me I'd be able to do 6 years ago. :)
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No new hardware apparently. Same as the PS3 but with new "playing options"