Dual tuner DVDR

I`ve just bought a Toshiba DVD recorder. I`m not receiving a digital/Freeview signal yet but didn`t want to get an analogue only one that would be obsolete in a couple of years, so I went for one that has one digital and one analogue tuner.

My problem is that I can`t record one channel while watching another. I realise that I couldn`t do it if I was watching digital as there`s only the one digital tuner - I get that and I`ll cross that bridge when I come to it. But surely as there`s two analogue tuners - one in the TV and one in the player - it should work the same as my VCR? Or have I just set it up wrong? Or am I being dense? :o

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do have the aerial in to the DVDR and then the RF Out from the DVDR to the TV don't you?
    So you record 1 channel on the DVDR using its tuner...and watch a different channel on your TV using its tuner.
    There are no twin-tuner DVDRs available in the UK...If you want twin tuners you have to get a Freeview PVR.
  • TabbyKitten95TabbyKitten95 Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Yes. Just the same as I had the VCR set up. I put a disc in and set it recording beeb 1, then changed the channel a couple of times on the TV remote, it recorded the channel changes. Bloody thing :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Nah, that cant happen.
    The recorder is first in line, so whatever you do to the TV cant affect the recorder,
    You must be changing the recorder channel.
    If you are recording beeb 1 on the recorder, you need to change the TV to its analogue channel, not the recorder input.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    The other option is he wasn't recording off the DVD's tuner, but via the SCART lead from the TV. In which case changing channels on the TV would alter what he was recording.

But yes, the DVD recorder will work in exactly the same way as his VCR did, as long as he connects it, and uses it, correctly.
  • Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOXZFACE wrote: »
    Nah, that cant happen.
    The recorder is first in line, so whatever you do to the TV cant affect the recorder,

Of course it can happen - as Nigel says, if the OP is recording from scart input (which is whatever the TV outputs) rather than from the internal tuner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Well yes, I suppose, but why would you Scart back from the TV when the signal is the same one, thats just a big loop.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Just the same as I had the VCR set up. I put a disc in and set it recording beeb 1, then changed the channel a couple of times on the TV remote, it recorded the channel changes. Bloody thing :(
    To summarize what the others have said.

You are recording off the TV SCART rather than the tuner in the DVDR. What you need to do is record off the tuner in the DVDR by using the DVDR remote control to select the channel. You can then use the TV remote control to change channels on the remote control.

It may be more difficult if both the TV and DVDR are the same make as then it's possible that one control can work both devices - it's easier if they are made by different manufacturers as this is less likely to happen (sometimes a different make can be the same make).

When you do get Freeview I would strongly advise you to get a Freeview PVR rather than a DVDR as they are much much much easier to use.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FOXZFACE wrote: »
    Well yes, I suppose, but why would you Scart back from the TV when the signal is the same one, thats just a big loop.
    The TV Scart input has another signal that is an output - this is composite only but if the user selects that Scart to record off (prob though not definitely AV1) then they will record the TV. This is a normal usage for a video recorder when not recording of the inbuilt tuner but it would be more usual for a DVDR to record off the other Scart which supports RGB input.
  • josephcavorjosephcavor Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    Of course it can happen - as Nigel says, if the OP is recording from scart input (which is whatever the TV outputs) rather than from the internal tuner.

The scart input is more likely to be connected to a Sky box or other digibox

In order to prioritise the tv output you need to alter settings on the dvdr.
  • josephcavorjosephcavor Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »

When you do get Freeview I would strongly advise you to get a Freeview PVR rather than a DVDR as they are much much much easier to use.

I wouldn't say that.

I have a Humax 9200 and its not as easy to use as my Pioneer 560 even though the latter has only one tuner and of course the Humax is no use whatsoever if he wants to burn it to dvdr unless he plays the recording out via scart.
  • Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scart input is more likely to be connected to a Sky box or other digibox

Almost all DVD recorders now have one scart socket (usually AV1) as both an input and an output, as well as a dedicated scart input (usually AV2). So, it can output a signal on that socket, but it can also accept an input. Certainly the last four DVDRs I have owned have all supported this feature.

If the OP has his DVDR connected to his Freeview TV via scart, then he will be sending a signal from DVDR to TV via this connection, but the TV will also be sending a signal from its scart socket back to the DVDR via the same connection. And if the user happens to record AV1 rather than AV2 then he will end up recording the TV's signal, rather than whatever is connected to the second scart socket.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost all DVD recorders now have one scart socket (usually AV1) as both an input and an output, as well as a dedicated scart input (usually AV2). So, it can output a signal on that socket, but it can also accept an input. Certainly the last four DVDRs I have owned have all supported this feature.

If the OP has his DVDR connected to his Freeview TV via scart, then he will be sending a signal from DVDR to TV via this connection, but the TV will also be sending a signal from its scart socket back to the DVDR via the same connection. And if the user happens to record AV1 rather than AV2 then he will end up recording the TV's signal, rather than whatever is connected to the second scart socket.
    WW you have describe the issue perfectly.
    In fact, as I needed to occaisionally record from a 3rd digital tuner (to supplement Sky HD's 2 tuners) I linked my analog DVDR via AV1 to the TV's scart output.
    When I set the DVDR to AV2, it records from SkyHD for archiving and when I set the DVDR to AV1, it records from the digital tuner in the TV.

Rgds,
    Scorp