Options

Move is "the best way to play" Killzone 3

SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
Forum Member
✭✭
For those holding out on Move for Killzone 3 - this is reassuring:
MTV wrote:
There's never really been a first-person shooter that worked well with motion controls. "Metroid Prime 3" is probably the best example of motion controls working for an FPS, but that game didn't require the fast reflexes and precision associated with the genre. "Killzone 3" is all about fast reflexes, headshots and using cover, all of which are made even easier with "PlayStation Move."
MTV wrote:
Throwing grenades works great with Move, as well. No silly throw-movement is required. You simply hit the L1 button on your sub-controller and point your reticule where you want things to explode. It's way faster than throwing an accurate grenade with the Dual Shock, and feels more fluid as well.

Sounds sharp and great! Twist to reload too. . .and grenades sound less Novelty, more . . practical :D

full article:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/10/08/killzone-3-with-playstation-move-preview/

The video's I've seen looked a bit awkward so it's reassuring to see that when given actual hands-on it works great.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seen KZ3 being played in person with Move looks pretty good to me :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Sounds great, but that quote "There's never really been a first-person shooter that worked well with motion controls" is pretty ignorant. Both The Conduit and COD:MW:R on the Wii used pretty much exactly the control schemes that MAG and now KZ3 are bringing to a wider audience. Still, it is MTV ;-)
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    RisskoJo wrote: »
    Sounds great, but that quote "There's never really been a first-person shooter that worked well with motion controls" is pretty ignorant. Both The Conduit and COD:MW:R on the Wii used pretty much exactly the control schemes that MAG and now KZ3 are bringing to a wider audience. Still, it is MTV ;-)

Pretty much hit the nail on the head, I was gonna say the same thing. There's been a load of FPS games reelased on Wii that control brilliantly. Medal of Honour Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, The Conduit, Metroid Prime Trilogy, COD MW Reflex, COD W@W... all of these games are stand out titles where smooth and very precise controls are concerned.

MTV don't have a clue. :)

Still, I don't doubt KZ3 will be best played with Move. I know I can't go back to the dual stick method and fully enjoy a FPS now I've had a taste of how good motion controls really are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much hit the nail on the head, I was gonna say the same thing. There's been a load of FPS games reelased on Wii that control brilliantly. Medal of Honour Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, The Conduit, Metroid Prime Trilogy, COD MW Reflex, COD W@W... all of these games are stand out titles where smooth and very precise controls are concerned.

MTV don't have a clue. :)

Still, I don't doubt KZ3 will be best played with Move. I know I can't go back to the dual stick method and fully enjoy a FPS now I've had a taste of how good motion controls really are.

I'll play through KZ3 with Move for the fun of it. . .but for my Veteran. . .trophy whoring. . multiplayer. . real nitty gritty gaming. . it's Dual Shock 3 all the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Soundburst wrote: »
    I'll play through KZ3 with Move for the fun of it. . .but for my Veteran. . .trophy whoring. . multiplayer. . real nitty gritty gaming. . it's Dual Shock 3 all the way.

Fair enough but you will be a fish out of water if the motion controls are as tight as something like Red Steel 2 on Wii. You can expect to get owned by the players using this method, unless they separate the servers. It gives way too much advantage. it's up their with Mouse & k/b, if not better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way.

Dual Shock 3 with 2 analogue sticks will whoop Light gun users. Easy to flank. DS will be faster and great. I would never play online against people with actual controllers.

If there are dedicated servers for Move then I'll play for some fun - but if they're mixed then there's no way I'd go in with Move. Move players will be cannon fodder for those with analogue sticks.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way.

Dual Shock 3 with 2 analogue sticks will whoop Light gun users. Easy to flank. DS will be faster and great. I would never play online against people with actual controllers.

If there are dedicated servers for Move then I'll play for some fun - but if they're mixed then there's no way I'd go in with Move. Move players will be cannon fodder for those with analogue sticks.

I dont agree. Reloading a gun is quicker with pressing a button, but aiming a gun with a mouse is WAY faster than an analog stick. Move aiming is more akin to aiming with a mouse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont agree. Reloading a gun is quicker with pressing a button, but aiming a gun with a mouse is WAY faster than an analog stick. Move aiming is more akin to aiming with a mouse.

It is. . .not with a light gun though.

Someone is shooting you from a 150 degree angle (just to the back right) . . .it's super easy to spin round with an analogue stick - a light gun? not so much.

If I'm shooting a Move guy from the back right - he'll be dead with my DualShock before he even knows what hit him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Huh?? "Light Gun"? I'm confused. :confused:

Trust me, Move users WILL own your arse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member

Someone is shooting you from a 150 degree angle (just to the back right) . . .it's super easy to spin round with an analogue stick - a light gun? not so much.

If I'm shooting a Move guy from the back right - he'll be dead with my DualShock before he even knows what hit him.

I would tend to agree with what your saying, but not having tried it yet I'll keep an open mind. However, if Move (or any motion control) is not the best method for FPS online, I would question the merit of using motion controls at all. If people aren't going to use MC for multi-player why would developers include it. I suppose its all up in the air until people try these games, but if DS users have the advantage then MC in multi-player will die on its ass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to understand but having big problems with all this light gun talk. For a start nothing uses light gun technology, its motion tech, and are you now trying to say Move isn't 1:1? If it was like the Wii Motion+ then it should be just as fast and accurate as a mouse.

I can't believe you honestly think people controlling the game with 2 piddling little thumbsticks will outmanoeuvre those with motion tech who can aim headshots at will, just like a mouse. That's how it works on the Wii, you have played some FPS on the Wii right?

I did think you were joking but now I realise you are being serious. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But you are only using the move controller as a pointer so you are only rotating your move pointer on teh spot, as quick as a mouse. You aren't moving you arm even one inch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capt.Smead wrote: »
    but if DS users have the advantage then MC in multi-player will die on its ass.

We are using a lobby option for solo dualshock/move controllers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm trying to understand but having big problems with all this light gun talk. For a start nothing uses light gun technology, its motion tech, and are you now trying to say Move isn't 1:1? If it was like the Wii Motion+ then it should be just as fast and accurate as a mouse.

I can't believe you honestly think people controlling the game with 2 piddling little thumbsticks will outmanoeuvre those with motion tech who can aim headshots at will, just like a mouse. That's how it works on the Wii, you have played some FPS on the Wii right?

I did think you were joking but now I realise you are being serious. :p

It's practically a light gun - not an actual light gun. . but something that amounts to Duck Hunt.

Turning will be problematic in fast past action against live players.

A mouse is completely different from motion tech pointing devices.

Ok. . when KZ3 comes out. . we'll have a private deathmatch. . Move Vs DS3 - I swear I will honestly pound you into dust. :D:D

I'll run circles around you. . .then as you get dizzy I'll ANIMATION MELEE YOU and then tea bag you :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you are only using the move controller as a pointer so you are only rotating your move pointer on teh spot, as quick as a mouse. You aren't moving you arm even one inch.

Yes. . . aiming quickly at the things already on the screen. . straight in front of your face.

If I run round a corner. .and you happen to be facing me with me in your line of sight (straight on screen), and I'm unawares. . .you'll probably win with Move.

Any other scenario will have me win I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geurrilla know what I'm talking about:

http://www.ps3attitude.com/new/2010/10/dualshock-players-run-circles-move-players/

It'll be slaughter if motion controls are mixed with dual shock in the same server - and I'll be raging if one half get aim support while others get none. If they're mixed then there should be NO aim assist.

Mouse would beat a controller.

A controller beats everything else. It's simple. . the right stick means you know EXACTLY how much pressure is required to turn the screen, each and every time. If you get shot from the side, you know EXACTLY how much pressure to apply to snap right round and kill the guy. With a motion controller, against a live person with a dual shock I find that it would be near impossible to win that gun fight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. . . aiming quickly at the things already on the screen. . straight in front of your face.

If I run round a corner. .and you happen to be facing me with me in your line of sight (straight on screen), and I'm unawares. . .you'll probably win with Move.

Any other scenario will have me win I'm afraid.

i thought it used the analog stick (on nav controller) for spinning your player round?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought it used the analog stick (on nav controller) for spinning your player round?

Then how do you strafe or move forward?

I presume analogue stick = strafe and forward/backward
    Turning player = moving cursor to the perimeter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then how do you strafe or move forward?

I presume analogue stick = strafe and forward/backward
    Turning player = moving cursor to the perimeter?

actually now you say that i dont know now :p. we'll see when it comes out :).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    actually now you say that i dont know now :p. we'll see when it comes out :).

I'll LOVE Move for single player fun, and enjoying the experience and immersion. :D

But when I'm competitive there is simply no way I'm using Move against highly skilled Dual Shockers.

I don't care how 1:1 3D Space Camera Tracked it is - online against real people who are using a different control method - it will be second best, regardless of how much more immersive and enjoyable it is.

Seriously look at the turning and stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWiK0rmXoBQ&feature=related

At 13 seconds. . . You expect that guy playing with the Motion controller to out-gun the guy who is just off screen to his left (if he had a Dual Shock)?? No chance he'd be dead by the time he turned around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll LOVE Move for single player fun, and enjoying the experience and immersion. :D

But when I'm competitive there is simply no way I'm using Move against highly skilled Dual Shockers.

I don't care how 1:1 3D Space Camera Tracked it is - online against real people who are using a different control method - it will be second best, regardless of how much more immersive and enjoyable it is.

Seriously look at the turning and stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf4bod47WQ4&feature=related

You expect that guy to out battle a Helghan DS3 user just out of his sight?

1:1 first person i cant see working tbh, its yet to be proven. But sport champions online would have been amazing imo.

that video though is on wii :confused:, there is killzone 3 move footage, i'll go find it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1:1 first person i cant see working tbh, its yet to be proven. But sport champions online would have been amazing imo.

that video though is on wii :confused:, there is killzone 3 move footage, i'll go find it.

I used the wrong video and updated my post with further examples.

Sports champions would be great online. . .Move vs Move.

A person playing "The Fight" button bashing will undoubtedly beat up a guy throwing actual punches with Move. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really you didn't ought to put words in Guerillas mouth, first of all Motion tech isn't ANYTHING like Duck Hunt lmao. Please do a bit of research, I'm not going to give links but go a read up about it. LIght gun technology can only work with CRT TV for a start, you are implying there is lag of some kind when it's not true.

Secondly Guerilla said what they said because of how the vast majority of PS gamer are. ie. they only know a Dual Shock and nothing else. They are very new to motion tech. I mean so many people are having problems with the Move, now it's either not performing well or programmers aren't getting the best out of it or players are very slow to adapt.

When I play a Wii FPS I don't use any auto aim (which is common on all major console FPS that use joypad ahem!), its simply not needed with motion tech as it's vastly more accurate. It doesn't matter how many things you quote to try and tell me otherwise, I know from first hand experience.

The video of COD on Wii is a joke, that player is crap!, get a serious player who can actually use motion etch and he will outgun you on a control pad, it's just too fiddly and inaccurate.

Your points about the dead zone on turning is rubbish, I can feel the bite of the turn in the FPS games on Wii and have no problem knowing when they are, I just execute it in the air rather than with a tiny stick. It's perfectly natural and I don't even think about it.

Using a motion controller compared to a pad can be likened to the difference between a steering wheel and a stick, the wheel gives you so much more sensitivity as you have a much bigger amount of travel between it's end points giving you a greater degree of accuracy, with a stick you can only move it an inch either side max which is very fiddly in intense online multiplayer matches. That alone is a huge advantage when it comes to aiming on screen which is as natural as pointing at your target... you know, like you do with a gun...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not implying any lag. I'm not talking about the the technicalities of duck hunt or CRT. Just saying that it turns it into a light gun game. (or a type of game we associate with light gun - is point and shoot ...obviously I didn't mean it was like duckhunt in reality. Dont be silly :p )

Watch that video.

My dual shock three would pound that guy in live play.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually envy those of you who can play an FPS game in this way - personally I found the likes of Red Steel, Metroid and Conduit unplayable like this. :o

To be brutally honest the only Wii games I play now are the ones that require the least amount of shaking, pointing, swinging, waggling and what have you.

In this sense I guess I've taken a step backwards - so Playstation Move is really a non-starter even with the enhancements.