I dug out Mortal Kombat on the SNES

_Venger__Venger_ Posts: 3,223
Forum Member
✭✭✭
And forgot how amazing it was, not played it in over 15 years but I still remembered what to click on the control pad to activate each warrior's special powers/moves.

Rayden was definetly the coolest imo :)

Mortal Kombat 2 next me thinkz (though thats not as good imo)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _Venger_ wrote: »
    Mortal Kombat 2 next me thinkz (though thats not as good imo)
    Really? Mortal Kombat is a bit, well - saccharine on the SNES compared to MK2!
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I was playing that too yesterday on both the Snes and Megadrive, but I think that the MD version is the better of the two. Not just because of the blood code, but also the overall look as the characters are slighty more defined in detail than the Snes version which seems to be the case with MKII aswell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's already out, isn't it?
  • AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like Scorpion the best. Get over here!!! Then uppercut your opponent. :D

And in one of the latter games there was a robot guy who shot guided missiles out of his stomach, that was funny. What was he called again?

And was it Goro, the four armed monster guy?
  • _Venger__Venger_ Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like Scorpion the best. Get over here!!! Then uppercut your opponent. :D

And in one of the latter games there was a robot guy who shot guided missiles out of his stomach, that was funny. What was he called again?

And was it Goro, the four armed monster guy?

Yes Goro is the four armed guy :cool:

Scorpion is fierce as is Sub Zero

I never cared much for Johnny Cage or Liu Kang though

And poor Sonya Blade being the only female lol at least in MK2 they gave us the sexy Meleena :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _Venger_ wrote: »
    Yes Goro is the four armed guy :cool:

Scorpion is fierce as is Sub Zero

I never cared much for Johnny Cage or Liu Kang though

And poor Sonya Blade being the only female lol at least in MK2 they gave us the sexy Meleena :D

Yeah Sub Zero was great too. Was it back, back, back, forward to fly across the screen and head butt your opponent? :D

Liu Kang had a pretty cool fly across the screen kicking multiple times move though.

I remember Sonya and Meleena and remember them being over powered but don't remember any of their moves apart from a a finishing move which was blowing a kiss and the opponent exploding. :D
    Forum Member

Could be Cyrax?
    I used to like Striker and Cabal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Could be Cyrax?
    I used to like Striker and Cabal.

Yeah Cyrax sounds familiar, thanks.

Don't remember Striker and Cabal, what did they do?
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    They changed half the moves and the animations on the snes. Dreadful. MK2 is still a great port though.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member

It was Sektor that had the missiles

http://www.giantbomb.com/sektor/94-94/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPY06g0Z8yo

Cyrax http://www.giantbomb.com/cyrax/94-310/

stryker http://www.giantbomb.com/kurtis-stryker/94-198/

Kabal http://www.giantbomb.com/kabal/94-218/.
    Forum Member

Edit:
    I'm too slow :D
  • dreamfishdreamfish Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sektor was great! I loved his fatality where the metal would come out of his body and squash your opponent :)
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original MK wasn't all that in retrospect. However at the time it was groundbreaking.

MK2 was awesome, as was MK3. I remember getting both games on different Christmases and then learning as many of the moves as I could. I then took on a friend and got owned as all he did was the sweep kick repeatedly :mad: they had other flaws like that too, Mileenas aerial kick springs to mind. I have the Triolgy edition still for PS1 as I don't like the "3D" ones.

I was prety good on most characters, I liked Sub Zero, Raiden, Mileena and Sheeva the best though. Sheeva was always deemed a bad character in my circle of friends, but I always did well with her.

Worst characters for me were Sonya and Jaxx. Sonya was too complicated with her moves, and Jaxx felt clunky.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I always thought the SNES version sucked, I mean there was no blood (only sweat) and no proper fatalities. It did look better than the MD version imo and it still played well but a large part of it's appeal was lost. MK2 on SNES made up for it though, excellent conversion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved MK3. It had a huge cast of characters, levels where you could uppercut them through the roof onto another level, and tons of fatalities. Plus every so often, you had a random bloke appear at the side and shout "Toasty!".
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acclaim really are missing a trick. Most people I've spoken too prefer the 2D style of MK.

Why not release MK3 for PC, with online capabilities. Ship it with a controller for more revenue. They could then add more characters as downloadable content. Doesn't even have to be limited to PC, consoles with Internet support could get in on the fun too.
  • PowerJCPowerJC Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    Acclaim really are missing a trick. Most people I've spoken too prefer the 2D style of MK.

Why not release MK3 for PC, with online capabilities. Ship it with a controller for more revenue. They could then add more characters as downloadable content. Doesn't even have to be limited to PC, consoles with Internet support could get in on the fun too.

They've already done that. Mortal Kombat 3 has been available on xbox live for years, and they have also recently released Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection on ps3,360 and an upcoming PC release, all featuring online play. Except there is no additional characters, or bundled controllers.