Options

Official Formula 1 Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of all the accidents that dreadfull weekend at Imola, Barrichello's accident always has me grimacing and wondering how did he survive that.
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched a documentary tonight called "1", its about the drivers who risked their lives during the deadliest time of the sport and those who changed it forever.

It was fantastic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2518788/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    It allows new drivers, engineers, technicians and managers a grounding in the sport. It is where people like Rob Smedley (Jordan), Mark Webber (Minardi), Michael Schumacher (Jordan) and Adrian Vettel (Toro Rosso), Rubens Barrichello (Jordan) and Kimi Räikkönen (Sauber) started.

Not ignoring, of course, today's crop of up and coming talent, Nico Hulkenberg's performance is getting noticed as well as Romain Grosjean (I know, who'd have imagined it?).

Adrian Vettel? Not heard of him, is he related to Sebastian Vettel? :D Alonso also started at Minardi. Schumacher also paid for his drive with Jordan.

It looks like I was wrong about Nico. It seems he went whilst the light was red. Although the light changed from red to green, whilst half his car was still in the box. Still it looks like it was his fault, even though if he had waited for the light to change to green, he would have still got a penalty.
  • Options
    SamDudeSamDude Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Back of the field teams are also where drivers go on the way down.
    See: Hill, Kovi, Glock, Trulli.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The drivers may love the Suzuka track but yesterday's race was one of the most boring of the year.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    The drivers may love the Suzuka track but yesterday's race was one of the most boring of the year.

To be fair, there were quite a lot of times where there were cars running closely to each other but, at the risk of flogging the same old dead horse, it's getting to the point where that's not really interesting cos we all know that no driver is going to risk damaging their tyres with a prolonged session of wheel-to-wheel racing.

Instead it's all about driving as carefully as possible and then going quickly for a couple of laps after the guy in front has pitted in the hope that you'll make up enough time that you'll come out ahead after your own pitstop.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sport is even more boring and predictable than it was during the Schumacher years. Let's hope next years changes shakes things up a bit.
  • Options
    guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope next years changes shakes things up a bit.

Oh right, you had word Vettel's retiring?
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    guypd wrote: »
    Oh right, you had word Vettel's retiring?

No but, teams like Ferrari and Mercedes, who will build the new engines and also design their own chassis will have an advantage over the other teams like RBR. RBR will buy in an engine, in this case a Renault engine. Whilst they will have a general idea of the dimensions of the engine, and its weight. Until they have the final production level engine, they cant with any real confidence be sure their chassis will be the ideal one.

I think next season teams like Ferrari and Mercedes will a good start. Then by mid-way RBR would have got their act together, and Vettel will start coming good. We will have to see if the Ferraris and Merces have built up a big enough lead. I some how doubt it, as the four drivers will probably end up taking points of each other. They are all capable of winning races.

The new in-season tests next year will also play into RBR hands. As they will be able to test new parts out. They should thank Mercedes for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly before the accident, but sadly, with only one eye, it is unlikely she would have been allowed to race.

she had been granted her race licence actually and still held it but had chosen to persue a carreer in motovational talking following the crash

Overall, a very boring race.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it certainty was NOT BORING ..... with people going on on the first corner, battles throughout, another stunning drive from the champion elect .....

also how sad that maria de villota story is

and i saw most of SENNA, and as for that barrichello crash, how high his car went, it almost missed completely the tyre barrier!
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the Senna Movie as well and when I saw the Ratenberger Crash I read Steve Rider Autobiography and asked Bernie what would happen if a driver die at a track and Bernie Said no drivers die on the track, But looking at the senna movie it looks like Ratenberger's crash it looked like he died on impact to me:confused:

Did Senna and Prost really hate each other because at the end of Film it said Prost is a Trustee of his Foundation:confused:
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zieler wrote: »
    Do you guys think Grosjean has done enough now to keep his drive?

Yes, I think so, he's had some good weekends - plus he brings sponsorship, doesn't he?
    guypd wrote: »
    I'm done watching F1 for now. I suspect many others are doing likewise, I'm sure viewing figures are down.

I haven't watched the last few races, just read the news reports afterwards and decided not to waste my time watching the highlights. I have no desire to see Vettel process towards the title - I want to watch an interesting title fight, not a driver I don't particularly admire getting more titles to his name than I feel he merits relative to other drivers on the grid.
  • Options
    Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    I saw the Senna Movie as well and when I saw the Ratenberger Crash I read Steve Rider Autobiography and asked Bernie what would happen if a driver die at a track and Bernie Said no drivers die on the track, But looking at the senna movie it looks like Ratenberger's crash it looked like he died on impact to me:confused:

To all intents and purposes both Ratzenberger and Senna were both dead at the track but I think due to Italian law if they pronounced them dead at the scene then the event would have to have been cancelled, so they were taken to hospital for 'treatment' before it was announced.
    Did Senna and Prost really hate each other because at the end of Film it said Prost is a Trustee of his Foundation:confused:

They had reconciled by the time of Senna's death. Prost himself has publically criticised the film because it didn't mention that fact.
  • Options
    Jim_SJim_S Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    the only thing I didn't really like about the Senna/Prost rivarly was it was completely seen as one-sided with Prost basically the film's villian. They mentioned Senna taking him out to win the World Championship in 90 but it was sort of glossed over compared to Suzuka 89 where Senna was excluded from the race result for restarting the car and missing the chicane. I think most people would say running somebody off the road to make sure you can win the title (compare it to Schumacher with Hill in 94 or Villeneuve in 97) is worse than what Prost did with the 89 one

I'm sure it's been mentioned plenty of times before in discussion but Ratzenberger's death on the Saturday was definitely at the track as the footage shows him with his head slumped to the side similar to what Senna has on Sunday and of course under Italian law, the race wouldn't have been run on Sunday and Senna's death wouldn't have happened. Whoever decided to let it go on, whether it be Bernie, sponsors, the race organisers probably wonder why they made that decision :(
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Jim_S wrote: »
    the only thing I didn't really like about the Senna/Prost rivarly was it was completely seen as one-sided with Prost basically the film's villian. They mentioned Senna taking him out to win the World Championship in 90 but it was sort of glossed over compared to Suzuka 89 where Senna was excluded from the race result for restarting the car and missing the chicane. I think most people would say running somebody off the road to make sure you can win the title (compare it to Schumacher with Hill in 94 or Villeneuve in 97) is worse than what Prost did with the 89 one

I must say, I didn't think they really made Prost out to be the baddie in Senna.
    I think that role was really reserved for Jean Marie Ballestre who, possibly because he wanted a fellow Frenchy to win, seemed to be doing everything in his power to sabotage Senna and McLaren's championship.

S'funny really, after watching Senna and Rush you start to realise why Ron Dennis might've thought the FIA was out to get McLaren.

In other news...

Was watching the Japan race and Ross Brawn made a comment about how next year's calender is taking things to the point where teams ARE going to need two race-teams to piggy-back each other from race to race so they can set up in time for each race.

It occurred to me, would there be any benefit in deliberately controlling the number of people in a race team?

I mean, would it make things more interesting if, say, each team was only allowed to bring 15 people to each event and, perhaps, only allow 3 people to service a car during a pitstop?

Seems like reducing the team numbers might force teams to build cars which were more straightforward so they could be maintained by a smaller team and if the cars were more straightforward that might improve the racing.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read that Porsche Supercup leader Sean Edwards, son of former F1 driver Guy Edwards, has been killed during a private test session in Australia :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motorsport/24532901
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More bad news following Maria's death and Dario's accident 2 weeks ago. Motor racing is still an increadibly dangerous sport and despite the good work done to make F1 seem very safe it seems there's a lot of work still to do to see those benefits filter down into other formulas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Assa2 wrote: »
    More bad news following Maria's death and Dario's accident 2 weeks ago. Motor racing is still an increadibly dangerous sport and despite the good work done to make F1 seem very safe it seems there's a lot of work still to do to see those benefits filter down into other formulas.
    No - if you read the reports, you'd know that Sean wasn't killed in a Supercar race. He was doing some instructing, which drivers at the lower levels do to supplement their income.

As for Dario'a accident, the same could easily happen at Monaco or other street circuits - youtube Conor Daly's accident at Monaco GP3 race. There's no saying that couldn't happen at a F1 race at the same circuit.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ali22 wrote: »
    No - if you read the reports, you'd know that Sean wasn't killed in a Supercar race. He was doing some instructing, which drivers at the lower levels do to supplement their income.

As for Dario'a accident, the same could easily happen at Monaco or other street circuits - youtube Conor Daly's accident at Monaco GP3 race. There's no saying that couldn't happen at a F1 race at the same circuit.

I never said he was killed in a 'supercar' race (by which I assume you mean Supercup). I disagree with your suggestion that the same could happen at other street circuits. Yes, of course, a similar accident could happen in F1 and also to be fair the new chassis Dario was in probably saved his life but the Indycar chassis are still years behind F1 chassis. Chances are if he had been in an F1 car he would have escaped some of the injuries he sustained.

I totally agree about GP3 and to a lesser extent GP2 racing. I think they are pushing their luck in those series. Not a race goes by without some incidents and sooner or later it's going to end badly.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said he was killed in a 'supercar' race (by which I assume you mean Supercup). I disagree with your suggestion that the same could happen at other street circuits. Yes, of course, a similar accident could happen in F1 and also to be fair the new chassis Dario was in probably saved his life but the Indycar chassis are still years behind F1 chassis. Chances are if he had been in an F1 car he would have escaped some of the injuries he sustained.

I totally agree about GP3 and to a lesser extent GP2 racing. I think they are pushing their luck in those series. Not a race goes by without some incidents and sooner or later it's going to end badly.

There was an accident at Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago, the car just disintegrated on impact with the fence and debris ended up in the bleachers, injuring several spectators. As soon as I saw it, I said to myself, "I can't see that happening at a Formula One event."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member

Your whole point was that F1 is safer than other formulas - Sean was not racing, he was instructing which is nothing to do with what series are safe or not

As for Dario, Martin Whitmarsh has actually said that what helped Dario was something they don't have in F1 - energy absorbing seat structure and Martin wants F1 to look into it.

As for the crashes,the reason Indycar tends to have bigger crashes is because its a spec series - the cars run closer together than they would in F1. Yes the fencing was suspect in this case - unlikely that the fence would have broken at Long Beach.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ali22 wrote: »
    Your whole point was that F1 is safer than other formulas - Sean was not racing, he was instructing which is nothing to do with what series are safe or not

As for Dario, Martin Whitmarsh has actually said that what helped Dario was something they don't have in F1 - energy absorbing seat structure and Martin wants F1 to look into it.

As for the crashes,the reason Indycar tends to have bigger crashes is because its a spec series - the cars run closer together than they would in F1. Yes the fencing was suspect in this case - unlikely that the fence would have broken at Long Beach.

The reason for the the injuries in the bleachers, was not wholly the fault of the breaching of the fence, it was the way the car broke up. If the car had not disintegrated the way it did, it would probably have not breached the fencing in the first place.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    That sounds suspiciously like the "wrong kind of snow defence". :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody mate has called his new baby Sebastian, after you know who!

Could it not have been Fernando?