lizmlizm Posts: 989
Forum Member
✭✭

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lizm wrote: »

There's always been darkness in Disney films and cartoons. Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Bambi, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Lion King 101 Dalmatians and many others.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ^ True, it's nothing new.

Disney's live action output went noticeably darker in the late seventies onwards: The Black Hole, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Watcher in the Woods, Tron etc.

Box-office returns weren't that great, IIRC. But Disney continued to explore less kiddie-minded fayre with the formation of their Touchstone Pictures offshoot, which proved very successful.
  • lizmlizm Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes... there is a lot of dark in Disney films but I suppose I was shocked by the horns and 'there is evil everywhere...' comments with such dark imagery. It's more blatant especially in such a short trailer.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disney has never been a "small kids" company, they have always set out to entertain the family, and more so in recent years (as mentioned above) through Touchstone Pictures and their acquisitions of Marvel and LucasFilm.

There's more to the company than a few "cartoons".
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kids like scary things. We always forget that as adults.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kids hate adults fighting, we tend to forget that too.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maleficent is a retelling of Disney's 'Sleeping Beauty' (1959) and Angelina Jolie is made up to look like Maleficent in that film - complete with horns. Like many of Disney's best films, it is based on a fairy tale. If we, as adults, re-read the fairy tales we loved as children, we might be surprised to discover just how horrific they are.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kids much prefer to be scared than bored.

I remember my absolute fascination with Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmatians because I was terrified of Maleficent and Cruella.
  • lizmlizm Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disney has never been a "small kids" company, they have always set out to entertain the family, and more so in recent years (as mentioned above) through Touchstone Pictures and their acquisitions of Marvel and LucasFilm.

There's more to the company than a few "cartoons".

Fair enough but parents do tend to take small kids to see the new Disney movies...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Disney dropped Guillermo del Toro's Double Dare You imprint, so I doubt it'll be too scary...
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    lizm wrote: »
    Fair enough but parents do tend to take small kids to see the new Disney movies...
    Which is why the trailers and other promo material have to make clear what they're in for.

After that, it's down to the parents.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Return to Oz is pretty dark, especially compared to the Judy Garland film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Return to Oz is pretty dark, especially compared to the Judy Garland film.
    But it's a bloody good film. As a kid (even now) I prefered Return to Oz to Wizard of Oz. ^_^

Everyone always forgets The Black Cauldron, which is a very dark Disney movie -- which I also loved as a child (and still do!).

As other people have said, there's a darkness to most Disney movies, but kids tend to love it. My boyfriend's brother has adored Nightmare Before Christmas since he was 5.