EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way to know for sure is to get an EE PAYG sim card and see if that gets signal.
    Although if, as you say, EE does not appear in a network search then you may be out of luck.

A 3 SIM hides EE because EE is the 2G roaming partner, so if you do a search you'll see one or two "3" networks, one being 3 3G and the other being EE.

Although I'm not sure that this is the case here. I'd have thought that there shouldn't be any masts that only 3 exist on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gavinfabl wrote: »
    My Three UK service over the last 2 weeks has been dreadful. Actually there has not been any service whatsoever , no calls, no texts, no internet , it is totally out of action . So I am thinking about moving to EE.

I live in Princetown, Dartmoor, Devon but I have a horrible feeling EE use the same mast etc.. but don't know for sure. Also I have no idea why there is no service but reading this thread and another one on 3 UK, it might be due to the 4G rollout or they have simply cut me off by turning the mast off.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I believe the mast nearest me is North Hessary.

On my mobile phone the only operator that is visible when searching for available networks is Vodafone and I am not moving to them again.

Have you tried asking them for a Home Signal box (if you have good enough home broadband?), your phone will use this in preference to any masts. If you've contacted them about bad network performance they may be willing to give you one
  • WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    A 3 SIM hides EE because EE is the 2G roaming partner, so if you do a search you'll see one or two "3" networks, one being 3 3G and the other being EE.

Although I'm not sure that this is the case here. I'd have thought that there shouldn't be any masts that only 3 exist on?

I am pretty sure I have seen EE listed on a network search from my Moto G using with Three Sim Card. Maybe only Three branded phones do that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am pretty sure I have seen EE listed on a network search from my Moto G using with Three Sim Card. Maybe only Three branded phones do that?

I have a Nexus 5 (so obviously unbranded) and I have two 3 networks and EE. I'm guessing one of the 3's is the former Orange and the EE is the former T-Mobile?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for all your tips. I'm going to get an EE sim and see what happens.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    On the M11 and EE 4G is reasonable, O2 and Vodafone have been stuck on GPRS for quite a bit although when there is 4G I find the coverage better than EE.

3G on EE nearly the whole time.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    On the M11 and EE 4G is reasonable, O2 and Vodafone have been stuck on GPRS for quite a bit although when there is 4G I find the coverage better than EE.

3G on EE nearly the whole time.

Yes that's my experience. O2 and Vodafone's 800mhz 4g is jumping them up from the useless gprs where EE managed 3G they didn't. It will be interesting when everyone has 4g handsets which strategy pays off. The more masts and 1800mhz or the less masts and 800mhz. I think the more masts will always give more capacity. When EE add their small amount of 800 then coverage will be similar and phones should hopefully balance, if the cellular chips work properly. :-)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    A combination of 800, 1800 & 2600 will be the winning mix...
    Forum Member
    In a very old house in Suffolk on the top floor and have an excellent GPRS signal on Vodafone, average EDGE signal on O2 and two bar 3G on EE giving 6Mb!
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A combination of 800, 1800 & 2600 will be the winning mix...

Very likely true, 800MHz voice layer 1800MHz indoor data 2600MHz outdoor data.
  • bensterbenster Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Using 4g in Corby not sure if all Corby has 4g or just part of Corby
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of villages in Southern Lincolnshire have been switched on to 4G including my own. Still nothing in Grantham however.
  • bensterbenster Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    4g in Corby only in certain parts back home and no 4g
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    In a very old house in Suffolk on the top floor and have an excellent GPRS signal on Vodafone, average EDGE signal on O2 and two bar 3G on EE giving 6Mb!

Yes, this pattern seems to be the same nationally. It always surprised me that O2/Voda didn't roll out more 900mhz 3G. Maybe they just didn't have enough spectrum.
  • lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    Lots of villages in Southern Lincolnshire have been switched on to 4G including my own. Still nothing in Grantham however.

Grantham has 4g in the town centre / earls field / dysart road area. Came live xmas eve as well as a host of EDGE 2g upgrades
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lee18xx wrote: »
    Grantham has 4g in the town centre / earls field / dysart road area. Came live xmas eve as well as a host of EDGE 2g upgrades
    Thanks.
  • ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No 4G in Stamford/Deepings/Spalding town centres :(

Oakham has 4G now so something might happen soon.

Not that I'm going to rush into changing my heavily discounted T-Mobile contract, I've been using a PAYG 4G sim in my Z1 compact phone for 3 months to monitor 4G progress but it seems the 4G signal is quick to die off and revert back to 3G which makes me wonder if it is worth it.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    ozz wrote: »
    No 4G in Stamford/Deepings/Spalding town centres :(

Oakham has 4G now so something might happen soon.

Not that I'm going to rush into changing my heavily discounted T-Mobile contract, I've been using a PAYG 4G sim in my Z1 compact phone for 3 months to monitor 4G progress but it seems the 4G signal is quick to die off and revert back to 3G which makes me wonder if it is worth it.

Usually that's only the case in areas with little coverage or where the area is only covered by one 4G mast and there are less busy or better serving 3G. Or if your area is still being rolled out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    benster wrote: »
    4g in Corby only in certain parts back home and no 4g

I've started to see sporadic 4G in parts of Corby in the last few days... along the road from Tesco to the steel works and briefly in my house too last night. So is somebody working on something or is it weather conditions giving us access to something from a bit further away? I do hope it's the first of these.
    Forum Member
    Fleet Services: weak HSPA+ signal on EE; average 4G signal on O2.
  • ChrysalisChrysalis Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holy ****

EE blows everything else out the water here.

56.71 mbit down on my new S5 on EE, and 33.49 mbit up.
  • sparky93sparky93 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    Holy ****

EE blows everything else out the water here.

56.71 mbit down on my new S5 on EE, and 33.49 mbit up.

thats nothing, i had 102m down,38 up last nite, best ive had on my s5 :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sparky consider what I am used to is usually sub 2mbit, its a huge jump.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Mine has been delayed as well, did you do the request via 150 or the online page? Did you receive a text from EE to confirm the PAC was accepted.

I've been told now it will only process on Monday for Tuesday completion.

I'm not too worried, it'll cost an extra £2.50 in line rental (which hardly breaks the bank), and I've forwarded calls and texts to the new phone number until Tuesday.

How quick is this text supposed to arrive?

I did the website form 30 mins ago and no text to either number.

--edit--

rang them now, seems it did fail on website, they did it manually. Although I still have no confirmation text.
  • sparky93sparky93 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    Sparky consider what I am used to is usually sub 2mbit, its a huge jump.

indeed it is :-) you must be very happy
This discussion has been closed.