Options

Looking for recommendations of a new show to watch

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,526
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Currently not watching any shows but very keen to get hooked onto something new and hoping that someone has a recommendation of what to watch next? Shows we've seen and enjoyed have been; Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Shield, The Sopranos (and more, but they've been most memorable!)

Any suggestions would be gratefully received :)

Comments

• Options
    MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Who
    Arrow
    Grimm
    Marvel Agents of SHIELD
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perception - If you like crime
    Bates Motel, Sleepy Hollow, American Horror Story - If you like creepy horror shows.
    Once upon a time - If you like fairly tale fantasy with a twist
    Orphan Black - If you like sci-fi
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Given your likes;

- Justified
    - Sons of Anarchy
    - Boardwalk Empire
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rome. Short lived but two absorbing seasons.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arrow
    Marvel's Agents of Shield
    White Collar
    The Good Wife
    Once Upon A Time/Once Upon A Time in Wonderland
    Castle
  • Options
    David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the_melon wrote: »
    Hi,

Currently not watching any shows but very keen to get hooked onto something new and hoping that someone has a recommendation of what to watch next? Shows we've seen and enjoyed have been; Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Shield, The Sopranos (and more, but they've been most memorable!)

Any suggestions would be gratefully received :)

Given what you like, I couldn't recommend the sf some other posters go for; I loved all the shows you mention and think Dr Who is nothing more than a children's show. Hugely recommended are Deadwood, Carnivale And Huff. As others have said Boardwalk Empire is a stunner; first ep directed by Martin Scorsese. Mad Men is also fabulous as is The Borgias. Dexter is as much fun as it's possible to have with your clothes on and Six Feet Under was my introduction to quality telly a decade ago. Have fun.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given what you like, I couldn't recommend the sf some other posters go for; I loved all the shows you mention and think Dr Who is nothing more than a children's show.
    Yes, leaving out the kiddies / comics shows I'd second the recommendation for White Collar - though it's more of a cop show than "cult". In a similar vein, you could also try Motive (yet another cop-show, but with a twist). It's only had 1 series of 13 episodes but there's a second one in the pipe. You'll know after the first episode whether it's for you, or not.
    You could also try Boss, but it only lasted 2 series and got canned.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    The only non-sci fi/fantasy shows I can think of that I'm watching currently are Hawaii Five-O and Bones. Both excellent :)

Edit: not counting reality TV and talent shows, of course, but I'm guessing you're ruling those out too :D
  • Options
    David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    The only non-sci fi/fantasy shows I can think of that I'm watching currently are Hawaii Five-O and Bones. Both excellent :)

Edit: not counting reality TV and talent shows, of course, but I'm guessing you're ruling those out too :D

Nothing against either of these shows, but they are a very different kettle of aardvarks to The Wire and Breaking Bad.

I don't think the OP is avoiding sf or fantasy, s/he mention GoT, but all their favourite shows were ultra-high production values American cable series - mostly from HBO. Bones is a pretty standard US network police-procedural.

As The Wire was on the original list, the other David Simon tv series might be worth a punt - Generation Kill (a one-season show a bit like Band of Brothers, but modern) and Treme (a curious mix of social commentary and music set in post-Katrina New Orleans)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone - I'm not adverse to sci or fantasy (far from it!) and would definitely be interested in trying out some different genres.

Watched and enjoyed Band of Brothers, Dexter and Six Feet Under. Started Justified, but didn't get too drawn in to it really, same as Sons of Anarchy, but maybe I'll persevere with these again.

Will try out some of the above, thanks.! Any more suggestions would be great!
  • Options
    miffy_1306miffy_1306 Posts: 2,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen Revolution? I love that show.
  • Options
    lizmlizm Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supernatural & Lost
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nurse Jackie
    The Big C

They are what you call dark comedies. Nurse Jackie is about a pill popping Nurse, while The Big C is about a school teacher who discovers she has cancer. Both fantastic. The Big c has already finished with 4 seasons while Nurse Jackie has done with 5, with season 6 due to start in April.
  • Options
    daz100daz100 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Southland
    Banshee
  • Options
    Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carnivale, Spooks and Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes would probably be worth a try if the main requirement is top-quality drama from the cult/sci-fi arena.

You'd have to watch out for Carnivale, though, as it was criminally cancelled after the second season. Personally, I'm not one to disregard a good series just because everything isn't neatly tied up - too many just end badly, anyway!

Away from cult/sci-fi programmes, Bodies is one of British TV's greatest successes this century. Not for the squeamish or easily offended, but it's a fairly rare example of a series which has garnered critical acclaim as well as being extremely well regarded by the relatively small audience who watched it. The writer, Jed Mercurio, was also responsible for Cardiac Arrest in the 90s - another outstandingly good medical drama.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    daz100 wrote: »
    Banshee

Banshee as well for me it's awesome
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for banshee
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Orange is the new black
    Just spent all weekend watching the first season and it has to be one of the best new shows I have come across in a long time.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Continuum is a great genre show if you like intelligent shows.

Lost Girl is just a fun show but it's my current favourite :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone - got some great series ideas lined up now!

I LOVED orange is the new black! Just hanging on for the new series now!