Could you be a judicial executioner?

PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you lived in a state where the death sentence was in effect would you have what it takes to be the states executioner.

I know i wouldn't be able to do it. In the past executioners were seen as "damned" people and even their graveyards were separate from public graveyards.

If there is anyone on DS who has the necessary gumption to be a judicial executioner, and if so, what methods would you use.

Comments

• BarnacleHead12BarnacleHead12 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    No. I couldn’t. The most murderous I get is squashing spiders. And I always thought it would be interesting if we did bring back capital punishment, if the executioner were picked jury-style –so any member of the public could be called on to do it. I wonder if as many people would be in favour of bringing it back if there was a chance they would have to wield the axe or open the trapdoor or set someone alight. Saying that, some people might be even more in favour!
  • gazmatgazmat Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    I reckon I could handle it. My preferred method for minor crimes such as littering or using a phone while driving would be that old Chinese favourite Ling Chi. For more serious stuff like parking in a disabled space without a badge or behaving suspiciously I'd probably go for hanging, drawing and quartering.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only in temper could I sanction an execution. That would rule me out as I have a short temper!!!
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gazmat wrote: »
    I reckon I could handle it. My preferred method for minor crimes such as littering or using a phone while driving would be that old Chinese favourite Ling Chi. For more serious stuff like parking in a disabled space without a badge or behaving suspiciously I'd probably go for hanging, drawing and quartering.

Executioners often also administer non-lethal physical punishments, or apply torture. Would you add that onto your resume?
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »
    If there is anyone on DS who has the necessary gumption to be a judicial executioner, and if so, what methods would you use.

Judging by the number of posts you see of the 'stick me in a locked room wiv 'im' type ilk I'd wager DS would be a perfect recruiting tool for potential executioners! ;-)
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just call me Gashead Pierrepoint. Money for old rope, innit.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, not in a million years. For a start, I wouldn't want to do the killing, and for another thing I'd be the figurehead for a method of punishment I totally oppose, which would be deeply hypocritical even if I could bring myself to pull the lever or whatever.
  • Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - not me.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even bring myself to kill a spider that is tormenting me.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would put a giant food blender in every prison in the country, The convicted can then spend life inside or at any point walk in close the door and press the go button, The remains can then be washed away and used as fertilizer on the prison farm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Comfortably...providing of course that the "victim" had been 100% proven guilty and the law stated that the death penalty was the only remaining course of action.

Again, for non lethal punishment...the punishment would need to be stated as per the law and administered accordingly, but only after 100% proof of guilt, with absolutely no doubt whatsoever.

I could comfortably administer this, with the full support of the law behind me. Morally, I would be doing the right thing...
    Forum Member
    I can't even bring myself to kill a spider that is tormenting me.

What if the spider had been convinced of the premeditated homicide of numerous flies?

Not even then? ;-)
  • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I could
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been quite a few testimonials from state executioners about how the job seriously messed them up. Luckily this country won't ever put its prison workers through that situation.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    What if the spider had been convinced of the premeditated homicide of numerous flies?

Not even then? ;-)

Surely that would be insecticide?
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, and I'd be pretty wary of anyone who offered themselves up for the job.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Nope, and I'd be pretty wary of anyone who offered themselves up for the job.

Lol, exactly. It'd be a strange thing to actively apply for.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't we just put prisoners in a room with a button. Leave them there until they decide to end it themselves. However, I don't volunteer for cleanup duty.

Ps how much is an executioner paid these days? It used to be quite lucrative. That might make a difference
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Surely that would be insecticide?

A good point well made.

On that topic, I doubt hanging would be appropriate punishment for the spider seeing as they love all that hanging about malarkey, and a fly would probably just hover up so the rope went slack, so I'd have to suggest the electric chair for all creepy crawlie killers. That or death by firing squad. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    A good point well made.

On that topic, I doubt hanging would be appropriate punishment for the spider seeing as they can love all that handing about malarkey, and a fly would probably just hover up so the rope went slack, so I'd have to suggest the electric chair for all creepy crawlie killers. That or death by firing squad. :D

It's a tangled web you weave.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »

Good find. That was quite an interesting read.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. One of the reasons why I don't agree with the death penalty is that I don't think it's fair for another family to be punished in losing a loved one, at the expense of the victim/their family getting 'justice.' I wouldn't want to be the person responsible for that.
  • highwayman_nehighwayman_ne Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    No need for an executioner - just do a Battle Royale / Hunger Games - last man standing goes free :D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »

Thanks for posting that. It was a difficult but interesting read. I am strongly against the death penalty because I think it's barbaric and inhumane and has no place in modern society. I think a better punishment for the most serious of crimes (eg serial killers) would be life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.