Options

Forever (UK pace)

Comments

• Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the first episode of Forever. Quite a lot going on and a charismatic central performance from Ioan Gruffudd. We'll see if they can keep it interesting.
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I liked it too.

It would be nice to find a series I like. I can't get into 'The Leftovers' or 'Legends'.

I quite like the characters in this so hopefully this will be the one.
    Stansfield wrote: »
    A sort of immortal Sherlock - with a Job.:cool:

As opening episodes go, this was very good last night.
    Great chemistry between Ioan and the Cop, plus his sidekick Judd Hirsch {Abe}...train crash, stunning and the fall also on to the Car - but how many times can he walk out of the Hudson River naked and they police just let him go after a couple of hours.

Liked the flashbacks too.

And the Russian....;-)
    I agree. I thought this was a superior police procedural show. The best of the new US autumn series I've seen so far. Also agree about walk it out of water. With modern CCTV surveillance that trick will soon be picked up. Also what happens to his dead bodies. They presumably vanish and end up in the drink?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    It seemed a real cut and shunt of a show.

His deductive reasoning was taken from Sherlock/Elementary.

His immortality and having an antique shop run by someone he rescued as a child during the war was a direct lift from Highlander.

And someone keeping track of disasters to find someone who wasn't hurt is from Unbreakable.
    Can't disagree but I think it works well. We need thread merge!!
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it because I have been a fan of Ioan Gruffudd for all his career. I am not well versed in this genre, but I thought it was a bit of lightweight fluff. Plotholes a mile wide, poorly developed storyline, but ok for all that. I did like the bit at the end when you found out how he first came across the Judd Hirsch character. That was a sweet touch. All in all, I grieve for Ioan that he has sunk to this level of fluffy storytelling, but I'll keep watching for a while anyway, if only for him.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was gonna watch this on catch up but sadly sky haven't put yesterday's programmes up again. Think this is the 3rd day its happened.
  • Options
    Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Watched the pilot via On Demand. It is an enjoyable show but as mentioned above, the deductive reasoning is lifted straight out of Sherlock and Elementary.

The concept of an immortal man is fine but I feel one issue with this show is the repeated 'killing and coming back to life' of Henry Morgan. Surely they can't keep killing him in each episode.

Will give the series a go but it does have the hint of 'one series then cancelled'.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very nice and light hearted, mr fantastic is pretty good in that role :D
    i'll switch between viewing and recording this with peaky blinders
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched pilot and I did enjoy it but please tell me he's not dying in every ep?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Watched pilot and I did enjoy it but please tell me he's not dying in every ep?
    I mentioned that in another thread which seems to have disappeared?

He would seem to be an unlucky fellow if he dies every week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually, typing 'fellow' reminded me and so did a search for it

The thread was about Forever but didn't have it in the title.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Without giving away spoilers....

I read the synopsis of the show and it says he keeps appearing in a body of water every time he dies?

So does he die every episode? Seems like an unlucky fellow if he does.

Is it spanned across decades / centuries or all present day?
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isnt there a huge plot hole when he dies? He would end up at the same morgue he works at,-at very least would have a police record of death which the female cop would see unless his body vanishes?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Isnt there a huge plot hole when he dies? He would end up at the same morgue he works at,-at very least would have a police record of death which the female cop would see unless his body vanishes?

His body disappears. So far (as we know) no one has seen his body vanish in front of them.
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His body disappears. So far (as we know) no one has seen his body vanish in front of them.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a good idea that he dematerialises as it shows he could come back from catastrophic disasters like a nuclear explosion. Those beings who really on the body being intact couldn't realistically.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Everything about this told me I'd hate it, my missus wanted to watch it & as I have my way with a handful of other shows I sat back & got ready to moan.... yet didn't it, it is what it is but now & again it's quite nice to have that.

Avi8 wrote: »
    All in all, I grieve for Ioan that he has sunk to this level of fluffy storytelling, but I'll keep watching for a while anyway, if only for him.

Didn't you watch Ringer? After that shitfest surely the only way is up :D
  • Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,487
    Forum Member
    Wasn't it 3 times he died in that first series? Train crash, poison, then off the roof, now the latter 2 were for good reasons - so I accept that.

If the series continues in the vein of him dying to save lives, then I think it will be interesting to see what scenarios come up. The series has to be based on that - or what's the point of it?

Actually, I would love to send him off to sort out the ISIS lot just now, imagine the info he could bring back from there. The SAS etc would love him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It didn't really grip me. I get the association with the style of Holmes but no real feeling for the character or the way he's acted.
    Nor the other characters involved.

It makes more sense with him killing himself to help others rather than just being an unlucky bastard who dies every episode though.

But then again I can't see how if he seems to appear naked in the same body of water everytime that he hasn't been reported or known to the authorities.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught up with this last night and found it quite enjoyable, you have to forget the plotholes, its a stupid premise anyway. Ioan Gryffudd is a very charismatic lead and its great hear his Welsh accent (a cultured actor's accent not valleys) and not some sort of American twang, it really suits the role.

Hears hoping it stays on air - any ideas of viewing figures in the US yet?
  • Options
    leeowls87leeowls87 Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tv ratings in America

1) 1.7 (8.59)
    2) 1.8 (6.85)
    3) 1.4 (5.69)

Its still early but its on the bubble, The growth from the 1st episode was encouraging, the drop from ep 2 to 3 not so much.

Its on tonight in the US so tomorrow we shall see if it continues to drop or holds steady or hopefully rises

If it stays around that 1.4-1.5 number I'd have it as going to the wire on a 2nd season and would probably depend on the other ABC shows ratings, it would likely get a back order with those numbers tho which would at least give us 22 eps to enjoy.

Tuesday 10pm has been a mess for ABC tho and Forevers ratings have been better then previous attempts to get something going in that slot so ABC might be satisfied with those numbers.

I'd love them to try and pair it with Castle tho as I think both shows are similar and would share an audience but Castle Mondays at 10 has been a staple for years.

Really hoping it rises a bit, loved the 1st episode
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many questions....

Does he never age, or does he age between "deaths" and just get reborn at the same age each time?

What happens to his clothes/personal effects when he dies? Does he have to rely on a friendly police officer returning his pocket watch each time?

If he's going to be reborn in the same piece of water each time, why doesn't he stash a set of clothes under the nearby bridge?
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now watched episode 2 - it's reminding me quite a bit of House. Makes me wonder what House would have been like if Hugh Lawrie had played him as an Englishman with his natural accent.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite enjoying this. No it's nothing amazing but it's an enjoyable detective show. And I'm glad they didn't have him just repeatedly dying every episode.
  • Options
    GibsyGibsy Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    The good news regarding US ratings is that it received a 64% uplift on a Live+3 basis giving it a 2.4 on viewers aged between 18-49. If this continues we could be looking at a Season 2
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure about this series at all. It just reminds me of so many other shows/films. I'll watch one more but I think it will all be a bit samey.

Highlander - bringing up a child from WW2 who knows his secret and runs antiques shop.

Time Travellers Wife - called Henry and returns naked every time.

Mentallist - the way he knows so much about people from one glance.

Sherlock - his lengthy explanations of what happened.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this series at all. It just reminds me of so many other shows/films. I'll watch one more but I think it will all be a bit samey.

Highlander - bringing up a child from WW2 who knows his secret and runs antiques shop.

Time Travellers Wife - called Henry and returns naked every time.

Mentallist - the way he knows so much about people from one glance.

Sherlock - his lengthy explanations of what happened.

Also there's a touch of Quincy/Body of Proof/Rizzoli and Isles in that he is a medical examiner who helps to solve crimes
  • Options
    tellymantellyman Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And as I said before, reminds me of Adam Adament.