Options

Labour propose increased 'workers tax' to fund NHS for pensioners

Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
Forum Member
www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/17/labour-national-insurance-increase-save-nhs-mp-demands

Not entirely unexpected. Seems very likely to me that both Labour and Tories will hike NI within the next parliament, to ensure NI exempt pensioners get a better service.

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was me thinking that the bankers bonus tax and mansion tax were going to pay for everything...
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    There was me thinking that the bankers bonus tax and mansion tax were going to pay for everything...

Nah it will be George Osborne's £360bn personal unsecured lending tree that will be paying for everything.
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/17/labour-national-insurance-increase-save-nhs-mp-demands

Not entirely unexpected. Seems very likely to me that both Labour and Tories will hike NI within the next parliament, to ensure NI exempt pensioners get a better service.

Pensioners are only exempt from NI contributions as their pensions entitlement is based on the amount of years that paid in up to the point of state pension age , if working pensioners paid NI for every year they work after their pension then they would have every right to expect their pensions to increase to reflect the extra they have paid in.

My Dad worked (and paid tax) for 70 years, yet his pension is based only on the 51 years that he paid NI on, if he wasn't exempt from paying NI after his 51 years and continued to pay in for the extra 19 years then he would have every right to expect a higher state pension based on 70 years of contributions.

Do hope this is not going to be one of those boring threads about entitled pensioners getting freebies that young people have to pay for
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Pensioners are only exempt from NI contributions as their pensions entitlement is based on the amount of years that paid in up to the point of state pension age , if working pensioners paid NI for every year they work after their pension then they would have every right to expect their pensions to increase to reflect the extra they have paid in.

My Dad worked (and paid tax) for 70 years, yet his pension is based only on the 51 years that he paid NI on, if he wasn't exempt from paying NI after his 51 years and continued to pay in for the extra 19 years then he would have every right to expect a higher state pension based on 70 years of contributions.

Do hope this is not going to be one of those boring threads about entitled pensioners getting freebies that young people have to pay for

What happened to the mantra of, "we are all in this together?" I shall be making many more years worth of contributions than your father did, but I won't be getting any more of a pension that he has.
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »

Counting this new one, Labour has already announced 9 new taxes.
    And the campaign has hardly started yet.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mungobrush wrote: »
    Counting this new one, Labour has already announced 9 new taxes.
    And the campaign has hardly started yet.

Glad to see someone's serious about reducing the deficit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    andykn wrote: »

Wrong.

These new taxes are not to reduce the deficit
    They are all about new spending

And if Ed brings up his "plan-B" again we'll be borrowing even more.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member

Indeed Andy, the Tories' obsession with working age benefit cuts and tax cuts for the better off are some of the main reasons why Osborne has failed so spectacularly with his deficit promise. We need a balance of cuts and increased taxes for those that can afford them imo. In this area of policy I think the Lib Dems are possibly the least bad of the 3 main parties.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

You are joking! On the day a further fall in unemployment is announced and wages again outstripped inflation (which is itself at a record low) - the Labour Party think it is a good idea to make employing people more expensive. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are joking! On the day a further fall in unemployment is announced and wages again outstripped inflation (which is itself at a record low) - the Labour Party think it is a good idea to make employing people more expensive. :o

You seem to have fallen for the OP's con. It's only a proposal from one MP, not the whole Labour Party.

You have to stop believing what right wingers tell you, they're not very honest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    How about means testing the state pension.

Plenty of money for the NHS then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You seem to have fallen for the OP's con. It's only a proposal from one MP, not the whole Labour Party.

Never seemed to stop those on the left claiming that comments by a Conservative MP is potential Conservative Party policy
    You have to stop believing what right wingers tell you, they're not very honest.

I'm not very honest? ;)

Thanks a lot
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong.

These new taxes are not to reduce the deficit
    They are all about new spending

And if Ed brings up his "plan-B" again we'll be borrowing even more.

And doubly wrong because taxing people will take money out the economy, leading to lower growth, lower spending, higher unemployment - and all the costs that come along with that.

But Labour never learn...
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've only glanced through that, but will take a better look later. However, I'll take a guess and suggest those stats tell far from the full picture and take very few not exactly positive influences into account. I'm referring to the inflation not taking into account housing/mortgages, zero hour contracts, underemployment, high earners increasing the average salary rise and the huge amount of job centre sanctions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    I've only glanced through that, but will take a better look later. However, I'll take a guess and suggest those stats tell far from the full picture and take very few not exactly positive influences into account. I'm referring to the inflation not taking into account housing/mortgages, zero hour contracts, underemployment, high earners increasing the average salary rise and the huge amount of job centre sanctions.

They must be good because I've just seen the Labour spokesman for employment on TV welcoming the further drop in unemployment numbers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must be good because I've just seen the Labour spokesman for employment on TV welcoming the further drop in unemployment numbers.

Yup, but he's just one MP, not the whole Labour Party.
  • Options
    Forum Member

For the gazzilionth time sanctions do not decrease unemployment - just the claimant count and this seems a standard reply from those on the left when unemployment goes down under a Conservative led government.

However the last NI increase was originally announced when Labour were in power and they even admitted it would increase unemployment to the Treasury Select Committee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »

His quote has just made the BBC news

"Labour's shadow employment minister Stephen Timms said the fall in overall unemployment was welcome,"
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the gazzilionth time sanctions do not decrease unemployment - just the claimant count and this seems a standard reply from those on the left when unemployment goes down under a Conservative led government.

However the last NI increase was originally announced when Labour were in power and they even admitted it would increase unemployment to the Treasury Select Committee.

I realise this and agree. But what sort of 'knock on' effect does it have?

Does the threat of sanctions lead to people taking zero hour contracts, which have increased exponentially in recent years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

"spokesman" mean something different in your world?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never seemed to stop those on the left claiming that comments by a Conservative MP is potential Conservative Party policy
    "potential" being the key word there.

I'm not very honest? ;)

Thanks a lot

Well equating the OP's false "Labour propose..." with "potential...policy" isn't a terribly honest comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Does the threat of sanctions lead to people taking zero hour contracts, which have increased exponentially in recent years.

I see you are in denial of the facts

"The ONS said the employment rate, or level of people in work, was 73.2%, its joint highest rate.
    Average earnings including bonuses were up 2.1% in the quarter compared with a year earlier.
    CPI inflation was 0.5% in December, and new data released on Tuesday showed the rate fell to 0.3% in January, its lowest level since records began.

James Sproule, chief economist at the Institute of Directors (IoD), said wages would continue to rise as competition for talent intensified. "Two-thirds of IoD members [are] planning pay rises at least in line with inflation over the coming months," he added."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "spokesman" mean something different in your world?

Nope, just quietly pulling your leg after you came over all high and mighty about right wingers not being very honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member

ZHC only account for about 4% of all of those employed so hardly the kind of increase indicated by what you say. but even here the person is still working. That said any knock on effect would rather depend on why they were sanctioned in the first place.

There are two reasons why the increase in income tax receipts have not met expectations the first is the increase in the lower tax rate and the other is that wages have (until 4 months ago) kept up with inflation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    How about means testing the state pension.

Plenty of money for the NHS then.

You make an excellent point.
    In my view, all benefits should be means tested.

It's ridiculous that average and above income earners get stuff like child allowance and winter fuel payments.