Options

Climate Change is now a Religion

Black CloudBlack Cloud Posts: 7,057
Forum Member
Belief in climate change can now be considered to be a religion and has the protection of the 2003 Religion and Belief Regulations.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/nov/03/tim-nicholson-climate-change-belief

It was only a matter of time I suppose.

Comments

• Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    Interesting spin! However the ruling makes clear that it's not a religion but a deeply held philosophical belief, which is entitled to the same protection as religious convictions.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This looks like it's bordering on legal minefield territory. What's to stop anyone citing anything as a personally held philosophical belief?
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    The world has gone completely mad and bonkers.
    It's an old story from 2009 though.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Interesting spin! However the ruling makes clear that it's not a religion but a deeply held philosophical belief, which is entitled to the same protection as religious convictions.

This is bordering on the absurd (OK so it may have decided to bypass absurd and move on to something else). While climate change is no doubt happening - after all it did happen without any intervention from the monkey descendants known as Homo Sapiens. That said religion is about faith - requiring little in the way of absolute proof. Science however is about questioning any given hypothesis and refining it in light of new evidence.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After laughing I assume a non-belief in man-made climate change is entitled to the same protection.

I don't see where in the article having been made redundant how he was able to a claim to an employment tribunal for unfair dismissal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rusty123 wrote: »
    This looks like it's bordering on legal minefield territory. What's to stop anyone citing anything as a personally held philosophical belief?

They can cite anything they like - doesn't mean the court will accept it!
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Belief in climate change can now be considered to be a religion and has the protection of the 2003 Religion and Belief Regulations.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/nov/03/tim-nicholson-climate-change-belief

It was only a matter of time I suppose.

And njp and andykins are archangels, with you and jelliedeel both on 666.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They can cite anything they like - doesn't mean the court will accept it!

True, but then again it might.
    I wouldn't have thought a court would have accepted this claim but they did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »
    And njp and andykins are archangels, with you and jelliedeel both on 666.

Well we are gonna be responsible for helfire and damnation right here on Earth, or so some would have you believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The judge may well have been a Green, someone for which climate change is the Holey Grail.
  • Options
    Forum Member

In this case I can understand why:

"He [Nicholson, head of sustainability at the firm] alleged that while the firm had good written policies on the environment it had refused to abide by them, and claimed that when he tried to encourage the company to become more responsible, he was obstructed by his bosses."
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    And al religions it will have its brainwashed fundamentalists.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is bordering on the absurd (OK so it may have decided to bypass absurd and move on to something else). While climate change is no doubt happening - after all it did happen without any intervention from the monkey descendants known as Homo Sapiens. That said religion is about faith - requiring little in the way of absolute proof. Science however is about questioning any given hypothesis and refining it in light of new evidence.

That would be why the Judge ruled "It must be a belief and not an opinion or view based on the present state of information available."
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that mean it would be a mortal sin to vote against our current MP, who is not only a strong believer in climate change, but unfortunately also has a cabinet seat telling us all what to do about it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be a religion, there must be a deity. Who is the god of global warming?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Does that mean it would be a mortal sin to vote against our current MP, who is not only a strong believer in climate change, but unfortunately also has a cabinet seat telling us all what to do about it?

According to some on here, it's already a mortal sin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be a religion, there must be a deity. Who is the god of global warming?

Not necessarily, Budhism doesn't have a deity as such.

That said it would be better if it had a deity so should we have vote on NJP, Andykn or Elfcurry for climate change godhead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not necessarily, Budhism doesn't have a deity as such.

That said it would be better if it had a deity so should we have vote on NJP, Andykn or Elfcurry for climate change godhead.

And despite popular misconception, Buddhism isn't a religion, its a philosophy. Ignore the oft incorrect Wikipedia and some so-called scholars who want to alter the meaning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »

No, it's not a religion - the thread title is misleading!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    After laughing I assume a non-belief in man-made climate change is entitled to the same protection.

Actually, you may be onto something: in the case of AGW deniers*, their belief is more akin to a religious one as it appears to be based on blind faith (usually in anything published on wattsupwiththat.com).

(* rather than genuine sceptics)
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's sceptics for ya, can't win an honest debate.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About time
  • Options
    Forum Member

True but belief in climate change now has the protection of the 2003 Religion and Belief Regulations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And despite popular misconception, Buddhism isn't a religion, its a philosophy. Ignore the oft incorrect Wikipedia and some so-called scholars who want to alter the meaning.

Suppose your right but I sure it will have the protection of the 2003 Religion and Belief Regulations.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as the scientific theory about the beginning of existence has no tangible proof at the moment then climate change sits in the same wheelhouse.

I would imagine, in the future, climate change will be (dis)proved more easily than what made existence happen.