Smoking ban applies in prison rules high court judge

steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
Forum Member
✭✭
http://news.sky.com/story/1439191/smoking-ban-applies-to-prisons-court-rules

A prisoner who suffers from various illnesses made worse by smoke has won a case and is calling for the smoking ban to be enforced.

The judge rejected an argument by Justice Secretary Chris Grayling that the 2006 Health Act does not "bind the Crown" and therefore does not apply in state prisons.

Smoking is allowed in cells with the doors shut, but banned in communal areas. Black, however, argued not enough was being done to stop prisoners and staff lighting up in areas that were supposed to be smoke-free.

Black, a convicted sex offender, went to court to argue that inmates should be able to make anonymous calls to the NHS freephone line set up to report infringements of the rules.

Although he did not win a ruling on access to the hotline, the judge said Mr Grayling would be expected to re-examine the issue after today's ruling.

Comments

• UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Convicted sex offender eh? Bet this ruling'll make him even more popular with his fellow inmates.

Yeah, I sympathise with his plight - barely.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prisons are just below implosion point as it is. Clamping down on smoking might just the the last straw.
  • Black CloudBlack Cloud Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    I can see enforcing this may lead to trouble in prisons.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    persumably they will set up a smoking area outside to alleviate trouble but have to confiscate the cigarettes when indoors
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    persumably they will set up a smoking area outside to alleviate trouble but have to confiscate the cigarettes when indoors

Maybe they can be like some hospitals and ban it anywhere within the grounds so they can set up a smoking shelter outside the walls, that would work really well.

I would have thought prison cells were covered by the same law as hotel rooms (some hotels choose to be non smoking in all rooms they do not have to be) , a persons temporary accommodation away from home and not a public space.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if you are going to ban smoking in public buildings, it is logical that the ban would apply in prisons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if you are going to ban smoking in public buildings, it is logical that the ban would apply in prisons.

Public spaces are different to a person's accommodation be that full time or temporary and a cell is accommodation.
  • Black CloudBlack Cloud Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Public spaces are different to a person's accommodation be that full time or temporary and a cell is accommodation.

In most prisons it's shared accomodation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus a prison cell is a small confined space with just a single small window. Outdoor designated smoking areas only I'd say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave9946 wrote: »
    Plus a prison cell is a small confined space with just a single small window. Outdoor designated smoking areas only I'd say.

Which would push what is a highly volatile environment over the edge in many cases , adding pressure to staff , resulting in damage to property and possibly people some of whom may be innocent and on remand . Punish the guilty yes but with common sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then perhaps smokers in 1 cell and or wing and non smokers in another cell or wing?.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »

I don't think they have the staff to 'police' all that. Even with no extra outside exercise time, handing out smoking gear and searching everyone after, will strain the system.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Then perhaps smokers in 1 cell and or wing and non smokers in another cell or wing?.

What you mean a compromise? Anti smokers don't want that as it's an exercise in controlling everyone, not be reasonable.
  • bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly, otherwise they will have riots IMO.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    What you mean a compromise? Anti smokers don't want that as it's an exercise in controlling everyone, not be reasonable.

Yeah that would mean people have a choice. Like having some pubs smoking and some not. The anti-brigage would hate that. People doing anything they don't personally approve of! The very thought...!
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Yeah that would mean people have a choice. Like having some pubs smoking and some not. The anti-brigage would hate that. People doing anything they don't personally approve of! The very thought...!

It's simply about prisons being subject to the same existing constraints as other public-private spaces. No new anti-smoking boundaries are being created or extended.
  • dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't stop phones and drugs in prisons and yet they are worrying about smoking to protect a perverts health
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can't stop phones and drugs in prisons and yet they are worrying about smoking to protect a perverts health

It's no more about protecting a 'pervert's' health than it is to protect the health of perverts outside.

Why do you believe convicted criminals in prison should have rights (in this case to smoke) that are denied to the law abiding?:confused:
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they have the staff to 'police' all that. Even with no extra outside exercise time, handing out smoking gear and searching everyone after, will strain the system.
    Works fine in America.

Over there inmates don't mess with the guards, here prisoners rule.

Clamp down on all smoking in prisons, get the sniffer dogs in to find the tobacco.

Let's stop having non smokers having this vile habit forced on them in prisons.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Let's stop having non smokers having this vile habit forced on them in prisons.

They could stop committing crimes
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see enforcing this may lead to trouble in prisons.

You have the perfect username for this thread. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    They could stop committing crimes

As could people who want to continue smoking.

Not being able to smoke could be the best thing to happen to many addicts currently incarcerated.
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just about the prisoners though, it's also about the people who work in prisons. Just having the door shut doesn't stop smoke getting around. And it would seem both staff and prisoners are flouncing that rule as well and smoking outside of their cells. How is that fair on the staff that don't smoke?
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Convicted sex offender eh? Bet this ruling'll make him even more popular with his fellow inmates.

Yeah, I sympathise with his plight - barely.

find it very hard to feel sympathy with a sex offender, by the very nature of his crime he is scum therefore I could not care less if he gets ill through being affected by smoke or any other thing deemed hazardous to health.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,013
    Forum Member
    find it very hard to feel sympathy with a sex offender, by the very nature of his crime he is scum therefore I could not care less if he gets ill through being affected by smoke or any other thing deemed hazardous to health.

Would you prefer to provide him or others with an opportunity to claim damages?