DVD recorder help needed

TabbyKitten95TabbyKitten95 Posts: 370
Forum Member
Hello

I`m a bit of a techno dunce and need some advice. My VCR is on its last legs and I want to replace it with a DVD recorder.

I wanted to get a digital one rather than analogue ready for the switchover but I can`t get digital TV just yet where I live. (I bought a cheap Freeview box but it just displays `no signal`. It isn`t a fault with the box - it worked fine at my mum`s)

My question is, if I get a digital DVD recorder can it pick up and record the analogue signal for the time being until the switchover, or would it just be the same as the Freeview box with zero signal?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but as I say I don`t really know anything about this stuff. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Nick_2005Nick_2005 Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello

I`m a bit of a techno dunce and need some advice. My VCR is on its last legs and I want to replace it with a DVD recorder.

I wanted to get a digital one rather than analogue ready for the switchover but I can`t get digital TV just yet where I live. (I bought a cheap Freeview box but it just displays `no signal`. It isn`t a fault with the box - it worked fine at my mum`s)

My question is, if I get a digital DVD recorder can it pick up and record the analogue signal for the time being until the switchover, or would it just be the same as the Freeview box with zero signal?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but as I say I don`t really know anything about this stuff. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

I cant say for all of them, but got a Pioneer 560 DVD/HD recorder last week and that has both analogue and digital tuners. in fact it has two different aerial inputs on the back , one for each type of signal.

This is just one machine, so has to be othes too, just not sure if they are all like this.

hope this helps a bit.
  • normalnormnormalnorm Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Hello

Presumably when you say your VCR is on its last legs, you mean the tape system as opposed to the tuner. In which case you could connect your VCR to your new DVD recorder via scart and record from the analogue tuner in the VCR. In other words, leave the VCR connected as it is but take the TV scart and connect it to the DVD recorder. Connect the second DVD recorder scart to your TV.

For simplicity, it probably means setting the VCR manually to the channel you wish to record and leaving it switched on but it might get you by until switchover - although you didn't say how long you had to wait.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    And if your budget runs to it get a recorder which includes its own hard disk drive. No more faffing around looking for blank tapes or discs to record on to and easy to burn to DVD anything you really want to (which for most people is not much as they record and delete most stuff)
  • battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tosh RD-XV48 will do everything (and more) you are asking!