sky tak 1899?

hi,

i am thinking off moving my phone line to sky and can someone confirm if I can use prefix codes such as 1899 and 18185?

thanks for any help as I cant find any info about this.

thanks

Comments

• ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately not. The only way round it is dialling 1899 freephone number (0808 1 708 708). The only problem with that is it's 5p connection and 1p/minute rather than the 5p connection and 0p/minute (for UK numbers) you get by dialling 1899.

If you sign up with Sky you could get Sky Talk Anytime which gives you 'free calls' to UK landline numbers and 20 international destinations. It costs £5/month, so will likely cost you more than 1899 if you're not a heavy user.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The prefix codes work with my mum's sky landline no problem.

As far as I know they work with ANY BT (or ex-BT) landline, i.e. you are connected to a BT exchange.

They dont work with any other phone company's landlines though - like Virgin Media for instance.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    AlexD wrote: »
    The prefix codes work with my mum's sky landline no problem.

As far as I know they work with ANY BT (or ex-BT) landline, i.e. you are connected to a BT exchange.
    While BOTH of the things you say are correct your final piece of logic is not correct!

OLDER Sky customers may still be connected to BT phone equipment at the exchange (Sky doing Broadband only) - and so the dialing prefixes may well work!

All NEW Sky customers are being connected to Sky's new "Phone and Broadband" equipment at Exchanges - Sky are renting "bare wires" from Openreach - and so the prefixes will NOT then work.

Sky may (at any time!) migrate old customers to the new equipment!
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    While BOTH of the things you say are correct your final piece of logic is not correct!

OLDER Sky customers may still be connected to BT phone equipment at the exchange (Sky doing Broadband only) - and so the dialing prefixes may well work!

All NEW Sky customers are being connected to Sky's new "Phone and Broadband" equipment at Exchanges - Sky are renting "bare wires" from Openreach - and so the prefixes will NOT then work.

Sky may (at any time!) migrate old customers to the new equipment!

Yes, Sky moved me over to their broadband and voice network when I moved from unlimited to fibre unlimited. At that point 1899 stopped working.

Was a pretty big negative tbh. Now Plusnet have come out with unlimited/unshaped fibre I might move their when my Sky contract is up to get 1899 back. Also Plusnet offer 80/20 MB for the same price Sky offer 40/10 MB, plus cheaper line rental.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    .....plus cheaper line rental.
    I am on £9.95 line rental with Sky......which is cheaper than PlusNet (paying 12 months iin advance).

While Sky tried to bury this option somewhat I had no trouble signing up to it last month.