'Rhoda' Valerie Harper diagnosed with terminal brain cancer

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
Forum Member
✭✭
Sad, sad news for people who remember 'Rhoda' in the 70's.
Valerie Harper has revealed that she has been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

The legendary Mary Tyler Moore Show actress confirmed her illness in an interview published in the next issue of People.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a463671/mary-tyler-moore-valerie-harper-diagnosed-with-terminal-brain-cancer.html#ixzz2Mlc1Fvmh
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Comments

• dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Oh that's very sad. My mother loved MTMS & Rhoda. I got her the dvd's of both. Marge Simpson is in that, the actress that does her voice i mean. Her voice isn't really that different from the character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terribly sad :(
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Oh that's very sad. My mother loved MTMS & Rhoda. I got her the dvd's of both. Marge Simpson is in that, the actress that does her voice i mean. Her voice isn't really that different from the character.

I think you're referring to Julie Kavner who actually does the voice of Marge Simpson. She also played Rhonda's sister, Brenda in 'Rhonda'.

Indeed Valerie does have a guest spot in one of the 'The Simpsons' episodes this year.
  • Buffy AnneBuffy Anne Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    That's really sad indeed.

I've watch some of the things she's been in, including Rhoda, and have always found her to be a talented and charismatic actress.

A lot of people from the vintage comedy era are no longer here, or are now very old. :(
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,887
    Forum Member
    Very sad. I absolutely loved Rhoda.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is really sad news, my heart goes out to her and her family. I loved 'Rhoda' when it was shown in the early 2000s on Paramount Comedy.
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhoda was brilliant. So very very sad to hear this news.
  • kiteflyerkiteflyer Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's awful news. I really like Valerie Harper and loved MTMS and Rhoda. So sad to hear that she has terminal cancer.
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved Valerie Harper..... she was marvellous both on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and of course her own wonderful spin off Rhoda which ran for many years. Comedy at it's best.....Julie Kavner was terrific on it too.... and forgive me.. can't remember the name of the actress who played their mother, but she was worth her weight in gold too.... hilarious !

So sad to hear of her declining health....hope the coming months are as gentle as they can be for her...lovely lady !
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news, another Rhoda fan here...a great sitcom, brilliant actors, I remember Carlton the doorman (who was heard but not seen),
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conchie wrote: »
    Loved Valerie Harper..... she was marvellous both on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and of course her own wonderful spin off Rhoda which ran for many years. Comedy at it's best.....Julie Kavner was terrific on it too.... and forgive me.. can't remember the name of the actress who played their mother, but she was worth her weight in gold too.... hilarious !

So sad to hear of her declining health....hope the coming months are as gentle as they can be for her...lovely lady !

Nancy Walker played Rhonda's mother in first appearing in 'TMTMS', then its spinoff 'Rhonda'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Walker
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »
    Sad news, another Rhoda fan here...a great sitcom, brilliant actors, I remember Carlton the doorman (who was heard but not seen),

I remember reading somewhere that the guy who did that voice was also the original voice of Garfield
  • J_PeasmouldJ_Peasmould Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's very sad news! I used to really enjoy her in Rhoda when I was a kid. :(
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere that the guy who did that voice was also the original voice of Garfield
    Yes, Lorenzo Music played Carlton the doorman. R.I.P.

Very sad news about Valerie though. :(
  • SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Oh no! This is terrible news. I love Valerie Harper .... such a good comedy actress. Rhoda was my favourite comedy show ever. Such a warm actress.

Hoping her final months are not too uncomfortable.

She's not that old is she?

Really, really upset for her :cry::(
  • lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Lovely woman and loved her characters 'Rhoda' and 'Valerie'. Just goes to show cancer doesn't discriminate. I hope although a sad diagnosis she can make it past three months.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved her performance in SaTC as the mother of one of Carrie's boyfriends.

Very sad news. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She also was in an episode of Columbo were she played an escourt lady who thought Columbo was her next client. She was a very powerful actress and when she and Joe split up I got quite angry such was the writing of "Rhoda" as I could not work out was wrong with their relationship.
    Valerie was my first hearthrob, she will always be a wonderful actress and such a sexy women who never had to try to be sexy, she just was. I wish her all the love in the world, also to her family and her fans.
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,181
    Forum Member
    V.sad. i thought she was great in Melrose Place as Michael and Jennifer's mum
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Poor Valerie, but I do like her live for today attitude.
    I loved the Rhoda series far more than The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
  • kiteflyerkiteflyer Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarn wrote: »
    Oh no! This is terrible news. I love Valerie Harper .... such a good comedy actress. Rhoda was my favourite comedy show ever. Such a warm actress.

Hoping her final months are not too uncomfortable.

She's not that old is she?

Really, really upset for her :cry::(

She is in her seventies. She was born in 1939. I have just read her article about how she found out she had cancer and how she is dealing with the terminal diagnosis. Such a brave lady. So sad. I hope that when her times comes it is without suffering. :cry:
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For fans of Valerie, check out clips of her turn as Tallulah Bankhead here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-snlznj8ELg

She absolutely nails it. A terrific actress and from what I've seen, a lovely lady.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Such sad news. :(
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    kiteflyer wrote: »
    She is in her seventies. She was born in 1939. I have just read her article about how she found out she had cancer and how she is dealing with the terminal diagnosis. Such a brave lady. So sad. I hope that when her times comes it is without suffering. :cry:
    I read that interview with her recovery from lung cancer in the National Enquirer at the end of January. When I saw the heading in this post I just thought that the People had got in late with the same news. So sad that she gets over one hurdle and is faced with another.

Fabulous actress - I've seen her in loads of TV movies and of course - Rhoda was one of the best comedies of the 70's and if shown again - it can still stand the test of time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭