Options

York Train Station

Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm thinking of going on a ghost hunt event in York in February and the event finishes at 3am, and as I live in London, was wondering whether York train station is open 24 hrs?

I don't have any money to pay for a hotel, but will be travelling alone, so was also wondering whether it would be safe to just stay in the station until I go home?

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a very good Ghost Tour in Guildford, Surrey, runs from March through to Halloween... bit closer for you, just in case...

Not sure about York Station being 24hr or not but I'm sure there's a 24 hr McDs in York that you could hole up at...

ETA: Quick Google found this:
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/yrk.aspx

And, yes, York has three 24 hr McD's...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    There's a very good Ghost Tour in Guildford, Surrey, runs from March through to Halloween... bit closer for you, just in case...

Not sure about York Station being 24hr or not but I'm sure there's a 24 hr McDs in York that you could hole up at...

Hi, might try the Guildford one one day, do you have a website for it? I really want to do the York one though, as it is a place where I have experienced activity before, but have never spent the night there.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a read of this.
    http://www.northernrail.org/travel/stations/York
    As far as I am aware all large stations do not allow the general public in after midnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, might try the Guildford one one day, do you have a website for it? I really want to do the York one though, as it is a place where I have experienced activity before, but have never spent the night there.

http://www.ghosttourofguildford.co.uk/

I've done it three times, always excellent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The last train to Leeds/Manchester goes at 2am. Trust me, I've sat in York train station several times in the wee hours!
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thinking more about this.
    It is the platform areas that you are not allowed near once the passenger trains stop running.

York station is so big, so I am sure there are places to hang out at whilst you wait for your train home.
    Google will help you find them as well as asking here no doubt.
    Have a good night when you go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last train to Leeds/Manchester goes at 2am. Trust me, I've sat in York train station several times in the wee hours!

Hi the event finishes at 3am and I won't be getting y train back till about 8am, do you think they chuck people out when the last train goes?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi the event finishes at 3am and I won't be getting y train back till about 8am, do you think they chuck people out when the last train goes?

I don't think they do, but I will warn you - it is the COLDEST place on earth. I swear that it's even colder than the North/South Poles - seriously!

I lived in York for 2 years and still work there so know the station quite well. The official NR website says it's open 24 hours. I believe you can get a train back to London at 4am too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe you can get a train back to London at 4am too?

Yeah, there's a 4am train during the week, think it's just after 4am at the weekends... (or there 'was'... it's been a while...)
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of going on a ghost hunt event in York in February and the event finishes at 3am, and as I live in London, was wondering whether York train station is open 24 hrs?

I don't have any money to pay for a hotel, but will be travelling alone, so was also wondering whether it would be safe to just stay in the station until I go home?

I assume that you've looked at the train prices? If you can't afford a hotel you might find them a bit of a shock . . .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    I assume that you've looked at the train prices? If you can't afford a hotel you might find them a bit of a shock . . .

You might be the one shocked then, coz currently East Coast trains are offering advance fares York-London for £13.00 each way, or £32.50 each way 1st class...
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they do, but I will warn you - it is the COLDEST place on earth. I swear that it's even colder than the North/South Poles - seriously!

I lived in York for 2 years and still work there so know the station quite well. The official NR website says it's open 24 hours. I believe you can get a train back to London at 4am too?

:D Yes, I'd make sure you wrap up warm.

Have you looked in to booking a hostel for the night?
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll save you a trip, there's no such thing as ghosts!:D:p
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's the problem then? York station will definitely be open at 8am, even 6 or 7am.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the problem then? York station will definitely be open at 8am, even 6 or 7am.

Re-read the first post... OP hasn't got money for a hotel so is thinking of sitting around at York station from the time their event finishes at 3am until their train at 8am...
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    York train station is freezing cold, I sat there for an hour and my chest hurt afterwards. The Travelodge on Micklegate does rooms for £15 if you can scrape that together.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yeah, York station is bloody cold. You'll start off thinking "yeah, it's a bit nippy" and be a block of ice in 30 mins :p
    Please ensure you wrap up warm if you're going to wait in the station. There are some very cheap B&Bs in York though! :)
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 24hr McDonald's seems your best option. The station is ridiculously cold like people said. Even worse if you're hanging around for a good few hours.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Trans-Pennine expresses go all night, so the station is open 24hrs. As has been mentioned, though, it is very cold so try and spend at least one hour nursing a tea in McD's....
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    York station was freezing when I stayed there for an hour or so last week, and that was the daytime :o
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    The 24hr McDonald's seems your best option. The station is ridiculously cold like people said. Even worse if you're hanging around for a good few hours.

Sounds like a plan.

Don't know when the event is but during the week there is a train back to London at 04.00, on Saturdays there is one 03.52 and 06.01 and one at 06.55 on Sundays (but not every one in February)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a plan.

Don't know when the event is but during the week there is a train back to London at 04.00, on Saturdays there is one 03.52 and 06.01 and one at 06.55 on Sundays (but not every one in February)

Hi the event is the 1st Feb,so I would be coming back Sunday, it's a shame it's not on a Friday night, as the early train would've been great. Looks like I'll be stopping in Mcdonalds for a few hours :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Yes, I'd make sure you wrap up warm.

Have you looked in to booking a hostel for the night?

Hi even the hostels are quite expensive, plus not sure what ones allow 24hr access as I don't want to be disturbing people at 3am.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member

York RAILWAY Station please
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    York RAILWAY Station please

Ohh sorry Michael Portillo, better not tell York station I said that otherwise I may not be able to seek shelter there.