Dermot O'Leary wants to make it big in Hollywood

13»

Comments

• viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    Poor Dermot. :D

He never even said he wanted to make it big in Hollywood! Or that he was even planning a career there! He might just be popping over there for a catch up with his wife, a spot of shopping and a tour of celeb houses in Beverley Hills.

Now that he's been roundly condemned for something he personally hasn't uttered a word about, despite the Mirror's claims, I'm hoping he gets a huge TV gig just to annoy all his detractors. ;-)
  • AbbieJayAbbieJay Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    I think we need some new male presenters.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for him, if it doesn't work out he will always find work back here :)
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck to Dermot - I think he's a great presenter and is just the right side of 'safe' to be a success in the States.
  • Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it will be quite funny to see him getting Rylan teeth, Seacrest hair and being forced to lose weight....
  • Caza_BellowCaza_Bellow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Dermot. :D

He never even said he wanted to make it big in Hollywood! Or that he was even planning a career there! He might just be popping over there for a catch up with his wife, a spot of shopping and a tour of celeb houses in Beverley Hills.

Now that he's been roundly condemned for something he personally hasn't uttered a word about, despite the Mirror's claims, I'm hoping he gets a huge TV gig just to annoy all his detractors. ;-)

Not necessarily true. He has on a few occasions, expressed that he wants to work in the US, particularly when Cheryl was heading to the states for the X Factor (in my opinion) he really thought that he was going to get the X Factor US gig... :blush:
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily true. He has on a few occasions, expressed that he wants to work in the US, particularly when Cheryl was heading to the states for the X Factor (in my opinion) he really thought that he was going to get the X Factor US gig... :blush:

Well he couldn't have made a worse job of it than she did. ;-)

Really, if he fancies his chances in the US, why not? If he fails, no biggie, but it just seems so petty to knock him for wanting - if he does actually want - a US career.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Visitor Q wrote: »
    I think it will be quite funny to see him getting Rylan teeth, Seacrest hair and being forced to lose weight....

Ooh!!! Can someone do a mock-up now so we don't have to wait, please??!!!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he couldn't have made a worse job of it than she did. ;-)

Really, if he fancies his chances in the US, why not? If he fails, no biggie, but it just seems so petty to knock him for wanting - if he does actually want - a US career.

Cheryl got sacked as a judge on the American X Factor because of her accent. It had nothing to do with her making a bad job of it.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Cheryl got sacked as a judge on the American X Factor because of her accent. It had nothing to do with her making a bad job of it.

Accent didn't help but it was just as much to do with her lack of personality and the fact that people didn't warm to her.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Accent didn't help but it was just as much to do with her lack of personality and the fact that people didn't warm to her.

So we're stuck with her then. Nice.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

She was useless on it.
  • TTTangoTTTango Posts: 7,619
    Forum Member
    Dermot could play the Irish card stateside. The Americans love the Irish
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TTTango wrote: »
    Dermot could play the Irish card stateside. The Americans love the Irish

Being born and raised in Essex could make that difficult.
  • Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Being born and raised in Essex could make that difficult.

He's called Dermot O'Leary, that's more than enough.

There are countless thousands of Americans who claim to be Irish (or Italian, or whatever) despite never having owned a passport or set foot outside the USA.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Visitor Q wrote: »
    He's called Dermot O'Leary, that's more than enough.

There are countless thousands of Americans who claim to be Irish (or Italian, or whatever) despite never having owned a passport or set foot outside the USA.

Ah, a prime example of said stupidity...this is legendary in metal circles...

hub.contactmusic.com/dave-mustaine/news/mustaines-terrorist-blunder
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL. I am loving this thread. :D:D

Dermot is only 5 feet 3. I suppose he could play one of the Seven Dwarfs. :D:p
  • acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    LOL. I am loving this thread. :D:D

Dermot is only 5 feet 3. I suppose he could play one of the Seven Dwarfs. :D:p

Why do people ridicule short men? :confused:

I never get it. It's like one of the last acceptable prejudices.
    Forum Member
    acid rain wrote: »
    Why do people ridicule short men? :confused:

I never get it. It's like one of the last acceptable prejudices.

Did someone just mention dwarfs? I thought they were off limits?
    Forum Member
    Dermot is too middle of the road for me. He doesn't seem to have any quirks or anything outstanding. I feel he's not being himself, as it's too impersonal?
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a bizarre and, sadly, very telling thread.

The thread title has been taken as fact despite no actual Dermot quote saying he wants to 'make it big in Hollywood'.

But apparently the title alone is enough to draw out all those who dislike him/think he's talentless and can't wait to tell him how talentless he is, despite his long and successful career on British TV.

Where's the balance, for god's sake? Maybe he's going to try and see if there are any openings there since his wife is based there a lot of the time. How that eff that translates into him trying to conquer America is just ? :confused:

Dermot is a Marmite character, people dislike seeing him on TV so it is to be expected he has his critics on here. He has his radio show still, there were rumours in the Mirror he is going to be in a TOTP revival - http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/top-pops-set-comeback-dermot-5546470

He had a good run with TXF - and earned him more than enough money to live on for sure, he is never going to have a better job in the future. I don't see him getting a network job in the US.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doing what? he can't even address an audience without swinging his leg backwards and forwards.