Options

Review of the Grundig GUFSDTR500

1235»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    bramble wrote: »
    The DTR boxes are not zappers, so I wasn't expecting an update yet... and didn't get one.

So much for the Goodman's technical help line. Should have rang the local asylum and donated the £1.50 to charity.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    bramblebramble Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    acppca27 wrote: »
    So much for the Goodman's technical help line. Should have rang the local asylum and donated the £1.50 to charity.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry you've confused me.

The first time I heard the term "zappers" was when bob_cat of Humax used the term on this forum when the original (non-PVR) Humax Foxsat was coming out.

The DTG schedule of current freesat OADs includes for Harvard "HD Zappers: Bush / Goodmans / Grundig" versions 1.9.1 or 2.0.1.

On the basis of both the use of the term zappers and the version numbers, I didn't expect this update to be for the Grundig and Goodmans HD DTRs.

I would certainly like to know when my GFSDTR500HD will receive the iPlayer update as I found its Beta version on my previous Humax Foxsat-HDR to be good quality.

I've always felt that the iPlayer belongs in the lounge on the television, not in the study on the computer... but that's just my domestic arrangements.:)
  • Options
    lovinthetellylovinthetelly Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...just got the 1.9.1 and 2.0.1 update to my box - both together at the same time :)
    It's a Goodmans 500GB box, went straight from 1.4.1, I presume the Grundig boxes will do the same.
    I don't know if your box will update automatically, I just tuned into channel 999.

So I'm watching the BBC iPlayer through it now - 'bout time too:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too (GFSDTR500HD). Switched it on and the box had been upgraded while in standby.

The iPlayer higher quality picture is fine as it I had found it previously with the Foxsat-HDR.

Menu navigation is significantly faster than I had experienced with the Foxsat-HDR. Have the BBC speeded up the navigation in the last couple of months or it just down to the different processing speeds (Humax v Harvard)? I don't have the Humax any more for comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Me too, mine is updating as I type

Its just like easter i mean Christmas:D

Went to the guide then tried to exit the guide and the update started.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iplayer is brilliant some niggles

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1177080&page=29

I must check if the new software 2.0.1 has any other enhancements as well as the Iplayer such as:-

Now & new for non free sat channel

Ability to add non free sat channels to favorites

Ability to arrange non free-sat channels.

No menu lockouts, when volume menu is up cannot switch channel and when information menu is up can not change volume, without waiting of menu to disappear or exiting the menu.

USB export functionality

Library sorted by viewed, recorded and scheduled in three tabbed pages via <<>> keys would be ideal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tested the following issues last night and can confirm they have not been resolved in the new firmware update

Now & new for non free sat channels. FAILS

Ability to add non free sat channels to favorites. FAILS

Ability to arrange non free-sat channels. FAILS

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    TopovTopov Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Did we establish whether you can record from the buffer if you rewind, or can you only start recording from "now"..?

It's just that I'm trying to replace a V+ box which would allow you to record even the bit of the programme that you'd already watched, and I'm pretty sure neither the Humax or the Sagem allow you to do this.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Topov wrote: »
    Did we establish whether you can record from the buffer if you rewind, or can you only start recording from "now"..?

It's just that I'm trying to replace a V+ box which would allow you to record even the bit of the programme that you'd already watched, and I'm pretty sure neither the Humax or the Sagem allow you to do this.

The Humax won't for certain not sure about the Sagem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I have been watching a 1 hour program from the start and I want to record it say I have to go out or I think it is worth recording. If I have been watching it for say 30 minutes I press record and I get the whole program. Nice:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I have been watching a 1 hour program from the start and I want to record it say I have to go out or I think it is worth recording. If I have been watching it for say 30 minutes I press record and I get the whole program. Nice:)

And that's on the Goodmans/Grundig..?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I may have chosen my Freesat recorder! :)

Thanks, acppca27!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes that the Goodmans ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, all - have now bought and set up the Goodmans, and apart from a few minor niggles (no page up/down in Guide, no RGB Scart out, for example), am very happy! Picture quality is the best I've ever seen on digital tv, so I am very pleased!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ch+ & ch- should move you page at a time through guide ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ch+ & ch- should move you page at a time through guide ;)

P+ and P-, but yes, thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had an issue with the box occasionally losing video and sound but menus were still functional. A power reset was required to recover. Since the update I have had no issues interesting:rolleyes:
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have a review of the Grundig Freesat HD + recorder in this weeks Computeractive.

I will not re-copy it here ( I don’t have permission to re-produce and I don’t want my ISP cutting me off for copyright infringement :D ) but here are their summing up, for and against remarks.

For : Easy to set up, stores hundreds of hours of recordings.

Against : Expensive ( they have it listed at £280) and you have to pay extra for a satellite dish.

They do make a note that many users may already have a dish.

They also give the HDR as an alternative saying it’s also easy to use with the ability to archive to a computer or for burning to disc.
  • Options
    JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first time I heard the term "zappers" was when bob_cat of Humax used the term on this forum when the original (non-PVR) Humax Foxsat was coming out.

Remote controls have been know as 'zappers' (because that you can zap things you don't want to see with them) for many, many, years.

See Here

Seems rather odd to appropriate a word with a well known and logically related usage for something with no etymological connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    Remote controls have been know as 'zappers' (because that you can zap things you don't want to see with them) for many, many, years.

See Here

Seems rather odd to appropriate a word with a well known and logically related usage for something with no etymological connection.

What I was referring to was specifically bob_cat (Chief Technologist, Humax) referring to the "basic HD receiver" as a zapper.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=771857
  • Options
    JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I was referring to was specifically bob_cat (Chief Technologist, Humax) referring to the "basic HD receiver" as a zapper.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=771857

Yes.

Which is odd because the word 'zapper' has a well established meaning 'to zap' that is intimately involved with the product you refer to.

What do you suppose the basic HD receiver 'zaps'? :confused:

If anyone took that usage up it could lead to a great deal of confusion.