Options

spielberg's best?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
Forum Member
With out question one of the greatest directors of our time. But where do you rank his films. What is his best :confused:

While the CGI out there today is mind blowing back in the 90s it was only just making its way in to movies. So for me his best is Jurassic Park. I remember seeing it as a kid and thinking that is the most amazing thing I have ever seen.
To this day I am yet to see any one make a dinosaur look as good or real as what he and his team did over 20 years ago, :)

Comments

• Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaws

Pure perfection in every way. I never tire of it, it always holds my attention and fascinates me from start to finish.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duel - Spielberg became too sentimental after that...with the exception of Jaws.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lots of great ones but im going for raiders of the lost ark
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Duel - Spielberg became too sentimental after that...with the exception of Jaws.

Raiders isn't sentimental. ET had to be, and it worked in that one. It didn't seem too manipulative. Close Encounters too had saccharine moments, but again they worked.

I think 'Minority Report' was a good late return to form too.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't just pick one so I'll do a top 3:

1. Schindler's List
    2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    3. Duel
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a fan of 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'Raiders'. He has done some good movies but for the love of god Steven stop forcing memories of your childhood on us. Too much schmultz at times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Jaws
    2. Raider's
    3. Close Encounter's

ET, Duel, The Colour Purple and JP are also amazing as well.
  • Options
    jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    He had one hell of a run between 1975 and 1993
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Back to the Future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back to the Future.

that was directed and written by Robert Zemeckis....
    spielberg was producer
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    2. Jaws
    3. Jurassic Park

What movies are all about as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raiders is his best for me....

but honourable mention for schindlers list, jaws, colour purple, the rest of the indiana jones film (including crystal skull (ooops... can open, worms everywhere...)), ET and (gasp) war of the worlds (pure unadulterated popcorn movie fun)

he is perhaps my fave director, but has pumped out some shite too - catch me if you can, the terminal and hook are all just terrible.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raiders is his best for me....

but honourable mention for schindlers list, jaws, colour purple, the rest of the indiana jones film (including crystal skull (ooops... can open, worms everywhere...)), ET and (gasp) war of the worlds (pure unadulterated popcorn movie fun)

he is perhaps my fave director, but has pumped out some shite too - catch me if you can, the terminal and hook are all just terrible.....

i think catch me if you can is one of his best...hook was crap though
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone who has made the number of films Spilberg has is going to make a few films that people don't connect with. With the films you mention, Catch Me If You can I think is very good, The Terminal doesn't quite work but is charming nonetheless, and even Hook, though rather disappointing was still an interesting idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Anyone who has made the number of films Spilberg has is going to make a few films that people don't connect with. With the films you mention, Catch Me If You can I think is very good, The Terminal doesn't quite work but is charming nonetheless, and even Hook, though rather disappointing was still an interesting idea.

I agree! Thought catch me if you can was excellent...However, my faves have got to be...Duel, Jaws and Indiana Jones and the temple of doom....like the darker stuff!! ;)
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    Between E.T & Jaws. He gets extra points for helping get Gremlins made, points off for Transformers.
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he had made about 30 films now I think

Duel
    Jaws
    Close Encounters
    Raiders
    E.T
    Saving Private Ryan
    A.I
    the first hour of War of the Worlds

still have not got round to seeing Schindlers List, Empire of the Sun or the Colour Purple

or for that matter

Hook
    Tintin
    War Horse( opens today I think)
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    1- Jaws
    2- ET
    3- Close Encounters
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Close Encounters and Jaws for me, not necessarily in that order. I can't decide between the two, I just love them both. An honourable mention goes to Jurassic Park and the Indie films, except for the last one.

If you look at his producing credits too, yet more of my faves are there. Poltergeist, The Goonies, Arachnophobia, The Money Pit, Gremlins.......the list goes on and on.
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    E.T without a shadow of doubt! That is one of the ultimate classics in history.
  • Options
    freemarketfreemarket Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    His best films are Jaws, ET and Raiders of the Lost Ark. My personal favourite is Raiders.

Without doubt his worst movie is AI :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jurassic Park for me. The effects look better than some of the films that have come out in the last 5 years and I still get goosebumps everytime I hear that t-rex.

jaws just bores me as does close encounters.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Raiders
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is my favourite Spielberg movie.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it would have to be Jaws .