After a new pair of boots. Reckon these are any good?

Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
Forum Member
✭✭
I really need some new footwear, especially for the winter. My old boots have had it (the soles have split). I wouldn't mind something waterproof, or at least water resistant.

What about these?

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20356498

Anyone got them already? If so, are they hardwearing, cause any problems etc.? The soles look useful on those, unlike some of the others I've looked at. I won't be buying online, though.

Another alternative I'm considering is just to buy a pair of rigger boots. ANy other recommendations.

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're paying that much then take a look at Magnum Boots. (Those Clarks boots look like they're trying to copy Magnum anyway)

And Sorrell - arguably one of the best brands for winter conditions, depending on what you're doing.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    I always need to purchase good quality branded footwear as I need a ½ size and so few manufacturers seem to do 9.5 these days. That’s why I’ve always had Clarks (& similar).

Not the cheapest but always of a certain standard and a brand I’ve never had a problem with.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you are willing to pay a decent sum like the clarks then i'd suggest timberlands. they come in half sizes. i've had a few pairs of them in various styles since the early 90s and they are very comfy and long lasting. they cost a bit more than other boots but have outlasted everything else i've tried. you can get styles similar to the pair in the photo you've shown, plus all sorts of other styles like the traditional boot which comes in different colours and variations. i have both black and tan of the trad boot plus another pair of black boots and a pair of hiking boots which i've had for years and are still in great nick. i think they do decent warranties too but i've never had a problem with mine. they have a sale on the website at the moment, it's free to send stuff back too. or checkout schuh or office as they will have sales on, but you don't often get decent deals on timberlands, at least not the basic range, you do on the fashion stuff, of which the quality is the same, just the colours might be more faddish
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I did check ou the gear you mentioned. I decided to cheap out, though. I bought a pair of Regatta Crossland Mid boots (£28, BHS), which are supposed to be waterproof. I'll find out if that's true if and when the snows arrive.

They're comfortable, anyway. I've bought size ten footwear for the last few decades, but in this case it was a size 11 that fitted properly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    If you're paying that much then take a look at Magnum Boots. (Those Clarks boots look like they're trying to copy Magnum anyway)

And Sorrell - arguably one of the best brands for winter conditions, depending on what you're doing.

I was just going to say this. OP definitely for that price go for Magnums.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just going to say this. OP definitely for that price go for Magnums.

Too late, OP went for a cheaper option.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I am currently trying to wear in a pair of Dr Martens, wow they are killing me, the heels have no give at all, I wouldn't mind but this is about the 5th pair I have had and I can't remember having this much torture before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently trying to wear in a pair of Dr Martens, wow they are killing me, the heels have no give at all, I wouldn't mind but this is about the 5th pair I have had and I can't remember having this much torture before.

I have also found this and the soles do not seem to be as good as a few decades ago. My best pair where second hand from the mid 80s I wore them for years and still they had no wear on the soles and just scuffs on the toes.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a pair in brown for Christmas but haven't worn em yet, I paid the £95 because Clarks have always been great footwear.