Options

Foxsat-HDR - best deals and availability thread (Merged)

NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since this will keep coming up, thought I'd start a new thread to keep the news in one place.

Thanks to Barry for the heads-up, LE Concepts are now preordering the HDR for £289, money not taken til despatch - they advertise November. Delivery £10 by City Link, or their shop is in Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Parabolic are advertising at £299, but their site does have tons of info on it on the machine - some of it new to me.

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turbosat £299 not taking pre-orders on website yet.

Satbuyer £??? (£275-£300) can contact them to be placed on waiting list.

A word of caution - placing a pre-order does not necessarily guarantee you will get the pvr before any one else.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,520
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    A word of caution - placing a pre-order does not necessarily guarantee you will get the pvr before any one else.

No, so far we've 'sold' one, the money is in the till, and we're lending a non-PVR Freesat box to the customer and fitting a dish and quad LNB - the first PVR box we receive will be delivered and swapped for the loan box.

So that one customer is guaranteed the first box we get, even before we put one on display, but you can only guarantee one like that.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Yes you can guarantee your customer will be one of the first to recieve the pvr from your initial stock but no retailer can guarantee they will receive stock before any other retailer unless they have the clout of the big chains. Though I have noted that Humax claim to operate a fair system of distribution for orders placed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    My farther in law was in Lakes TV & Video in Aylesbury yesterday and enquired about the Humax FreeSat+ PVR. They looked it up on their computer and told him the price was £230.00. :D

Said it was due in November but Humax were doing final tests on HD Recording.

I wonder if they've quoted their cost price and not their retail as this seems to be fairly cheap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ian_mc wrote: »
    My farther in law was in Lakes TV & Video in Aylesbury yesterday and enquired about the Humax FreeSat+ PVR. They looked it up on their computer and told him the price was £230.00. :D

Said it was due in November but Humax were doing final tests on HD Recording.

I wonder if they've quoted their cost price and not their retail as this seems to be fairly cheap.

Looks like the trade price minus VAT for a £299 selling price with typical Freesat margins.
  • Options
    ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ian_mc wrote: »
    My farther in law was in Lakes TV & Video in Aylesbury yesterday and enquired about the Humax FreeSat+ PVR. They looked it up on their computer and told him the price was £230.00. :D.

That price is neither trade nor retail, I'd question it's accuracy.

Nice idea for a thread though, defiantly a good idea.

I had thought about pre-orders, but as others have suggested, there's no guarantee you will receive at time of release, or even at the same time as other places, it all depends on the supply chain for which different routes are used for different retailers. It's not like films/music etc where a release date is given and stock is held until then...shame really!

What are your thoughts on pre-order? Worthwhile?
    Looks like the trade price minus VAT for a £299 selling price with typical Freesat margins.

If that's the price being paid by trade, then I'll be over the moon with my quoted trade price :D (but then, I'm working on large quantities!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ian-d wrote: »
    If that's the price being paid by trade, then I'll be over the moon with my quoted trade price :D (but then, I'm working on large quantities!)

I've not seen any prices on the PVR, I generally only get to see them occasionally (it's not part of my job) - but based on the current profit margins for Freesat, that looks spot-on for £299 retail. Which was why I said people wouldn't be selling them for £250 (as they cost £270), unless the trade price drops.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not seen any prices on the PVR, I generally only get to see them occasionally (it's not part of my job) - but based on the current profit margins for Freesat, that looks spot-on for £299 retail. Which was why I said people wouldn't be selling them for £250 (as they cost £270), unless the trade price drops.

Nice one Nigel, £300 was the price I predicted too ;)

What do you think about the Panasonic Blu-Ray Freesat PVR: http://www.pvrjunction.co.uk/panasonic-freesat-pvr-planned/

How much are we predicting this to cost? I say £600 :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

£250 would be possible, but with a very tight margin and too much risk for a new product. £275 upwards seems reasonable, but with demand, £299 likely. All depends on trade prices though, they remain inaccurate at this time.

Think I might contact Freesat about getting a set release date organised, so that all major and independent retailers can obtain initial stock first, as I can see the major retailers getting priority through their distribution again (not Humax' fault, just the process)
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are your thoughts on pre-order? Worthwhile?

As you say later, I guess you'll need a good indication of when you can get stock and how reliable that promise is before pre-ordering makes much sense. If you do get promising word, I'd go for it though!
  • Options
    JimBentonJimBenton Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote: »
    Nice one Nigel, £300 was the price I predicted too ;)

Yes, it seems that pretty much everyone was predicting that price.

It has been on several websites for a while. :)
  • Options
    rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good stuff - all those of you planning to make their Foxsat HD non-PVR redundant don't forget there is a ready market out there ............. starting very close to home ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...but it has only been guess work! Other than a few of us who have been give trade price indications, and like me, have said £299 is likely, but cheaper is certainly a possibility if demand doesn't outstrip supply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...but it has only been guess work! Other than a few of us who have been give trade price indications, and like me, have said £299 is likely, but cheaper is certainly a possibility if demand doesn't outstrip supply.

Be interesting to see what happens then - as you seem to be implying that profit margins will be substantially higher on the PVR than on existing Freesat boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be interesting to see what happens then - as you seem to be implying that profit margins will be substantially higher on the PVR than on existing Freesat boxes.

Not at all, what I'm suggesting is that the pre-conception is £299, so it's likely retailers, including the major ones will price around this whilst demand is high, to maximise profits. It won't however, based on the trade price I have, reflect an equivalent profit value to that of the current HD box, but then I'd expect a slightly larger profit margin from a PVR anyway, as there is more parts that could go faulty.

If the major retailers come in at a profit margin similar to that of the Humax HD when launched (i.e. £149) then their price for the PVR will be significantly below £299, but we'll have to see. I intend fighting the major retailers to the death on this product ;)
  • Options
    AyceAyce Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting excited now..... no doubt I'll be skint when it comes out though :(

Terran

PS Any one recken the price may drop in the sales next year at all ?
  • Options
    snaithgsnaithg Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all, what I'm suggesting is that the pre-conception is £299, so it's likely retailers, including the major ones will price around this whilst demand is high, to maximise profits. It won't however, based on the trade price I have, reflect an equivalent profit value to that of the current HD box, but then I'd expect a slightly larger profit margin from a PVR anyway, as there is more parts that could go faulty.

If the major retailers come in at a profit margin similar to that of the Humax HD when launched (i.e. £149) then their price for the PVR will be significantly below £299, but we'll have to see. I intend fighting the major retailers to the death on this product ;)

R.I.P. Ian ;)

Graham
  • Options
    snaithgsnaithg Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ayce wrote: »
    I'm getting excited now..... no doubt I'll be skint when it comes out though :(

Terran

PS Any one recken the price may drop in the sales next year at all ?

I'm still banking on a launch price of £249, any higher and I will also be looking for sales post Christmas.

Graham.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,222
    Forum Member
    I think £299 is a very fair price and they will still sell by the bucketloads, if it's £249, i don't think we'll see them on the shelves for dust. :)

Exciting times ahead for freesat+ for sure. :p
  • Options
    alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snoods wrote: »
    I think £299 is a very fair price and they will still sell by the bucketloads, if it's £249, i don't think we'll see them on the shelves for dust. :)

Exciting times ahead for freesat+ for sure. :p

Either way I am having one :D Unless the banks all go bust :)

Xmas is coming early this year i hope :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,222
    Forum Member
    alan.w wrote: »
    Either way I am having one :D Unless the banks all go bust :)

Your bank will go bust the day before it comes out for saying that Alan. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Count me in too. I think £300 quid isn't too excessive and anything less is a bonus.

What I do fear is availability will be like the original Foxsat. I expect to have as much luck asking for one in Comet as if I had walked into Dudley central library and asked for the original copy of the Bible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that price isn't so much a factor as availability, and even as a retailer I'm concerned by how this will play out. If it's anything like the Humax HD, the major retailers will have stock weeks before independents, but then, those were extremely circumstances, as the independent agreement was made very late. I feel the only solution is to have a release date, and allow stock to arrive for all assigned distributors prior to this date, but this seems unlikely.

I bet I end up with hundreds of boxes a week late :D Fortunately I have all my stock on sale or return ;)
  • Options
    bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3DPT wrote: »
    Count me in too. I think £300 quid isn't too excessive and anything less is a bonus.

What I do fear is availability will be like the original Foxsat. I expect to have as much luck asking for one in Comet as if I had walked into Dudley central library and asked for the original copy of the Bible.

To be fair to Comet at the Riverside retail park at Northampton on the day the Humax Foxsat was launched they not only had stock but were clued up regarding freesat. Hoping this will be the case for the launch day for the Humax HD PVR............:):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not at all, what I'm suggesting is that the pre-conception is £299, so it's likely retailers, including the major ones will price around this whilst demand is high, to maximise profits.

Presumably prices have been released to the trade?, which unfortunately I'm not privy to :( but everyone seems to be aiming at £299, presumably (again) based on that trade price.

Unfortunately Freesat is ordered completely differently, and while I have access to most prices - Freesat ones aren't listed - bummer really! :rolleyes: