A question for the women here

Comments

• SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I'd feel like I'd wasted my education and I like earning and spending my own money. I can imagine I'd get really bored too.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I wouldn't like a partner like that. I would like a women who would be my equal. Someone I could never be able to control in anyway. A strong women.

Housewives are something I would be able to use to my advantage. Ironically, I don't like that.

Eh? I'm a fifties style housewifey and ain't no f*cker able to control me thank you very much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm too independent and i'd hate to rely on a man for money. What happens if he dies or leaves you or becomes ill? Who pays the bills then? Who goes to work and what sort of job can a girl with no education and only house cleaning-gossiping-cookin skills really do? No thanks. Never rely on a man, not even your father, mine died when I was young and it taught me a good life lesson.
  • kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    I already do the larger share of the 'housewife' bit as well as work full time. However, I love my job (most of the time) and would not want the 50's housewife style of life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galvatron wrote: »
    Interesting... very mixed opinions on this.

Personally I think it would be very boring unless you had either children, lots of friends visiting or a hobby you were really into.

On the other hand I think it is pretty harsh that some people are saying that housewives are automatically submissive slaves. I know plenty of women who are housewives but who actually wear the trousers in their relationships.

Me too. It's crazy that in some people's eyes staying home and looking after the house and kids means their no longer an equal partnership. That attitude is as narrow minded as the attitude that a ''women's place is in the home''.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    How many of you would be happy to live the idyllic1950s housewife lifestyle: Husband going out to work, you staying home, housework, baking things, buying new appliances, having friends round to gossip etc?

Also for the men: would you like to have a partner like this?

(in both cases, assuming you could afford to live with only one person working in your household)

No, i'd be happier being shot in the face in all honesty. I'd hate to be a kept woman.

I'd feel trapped, isolated, and intellectually malnourished.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done both - didn't work for five years when the kids were small. It had it's good and bad sides - great to be able to spend time with the kids instead of farming them out to other people but I did end up crawling the walls with boredom at times. I never felt subserviant in any way and my husband transferred a monthly allowance into my name so I had my own money. Working when you have kids and a home to run is hard work but work can be a great outlet for your intellect and sociability.

The only scenario I couldn't imagine is being a housewife with no kids - that just seems lazy to me as it doesn't take all week to run a house with just two adults in it!
  • jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Riccy wrote: »
    I can tell you didn't scrub the kitchen floor :D

...ohh the dull and boring life of a housewife huh...little wifey doing all the chores at home, devoid of personality and being unequal because she didn't go out and earn a crust.....:rolleyes:
    It's carpeted.

Maybe I should have used another smiley at the end, but I was being gently critical of the OP. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    jrio wrote: »
    It's carpeted.

Maybe I should have used another smiley at the end, but I was being gently critical of the OP. :)

I knew you were and I was using your post as a sounding block for the OP :D ...but I'm not so genteel ... ;)
  • humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread has managed to make me feel insulted in sooo many ways.
  • jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Riccy wrote: »
    I knew you were and I was using your post as a sounding block for the OP :D ...but I'm not so genteel ... ;)
    It surprised me because you posted at a time when you should have been cooking your man's dinner, ready for his return from a hard day's work bringing home the bacon. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    MEEEEEEE!!!

I've just gone back to full time work after 7 years as a 'housewife' and those 7 years were the best of my life, seriously!
    I'd happily stay home, keep the house clean and cook fabulous food for my family. I don't know why so many women are so against it tbh.

I just find housework excruciatingly boring.

The modern equivalent is surely the gym bunny. I was amazed to discover these women: they drop their chidren off at school, do a class, do an hour or so in the gym, spend ages and ages showering and doing their hair, have a long, leisurely lunch together, read the paper and chat, then go and pick their children up. Not surprisingly, they tend to look toned and rested, so perhaps their husbands (who are probably working 60 hours a week to pay for it) think they are getting their money's worth.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't get married until I was 39 so I would have been ****ed in the 50s!! I love baking though. :D
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Me!

If I had a high-flying city job where I got paid loads, met interesting people, went exciting places, and was really useful and valuable to the company, then I'd like to work.

But if I was in a job where I was just another number, then I'd definitely prefer to be the perfect housewife. As long as my man was ok with that and could support that lifestyle, I'd love it. I'd love to look after my house, the kids and the garden.

I don't see anything wrong with that at all :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I don't like coking and cleaning. If I could stay at home and have someone cook and clean for me then that'd be cool.
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many of you would be happy to live the idyllic1950s housewife lifestyle: Husband going out to work, you staying home, housework, baking things, buying new appliances, having friends round to gossip etc?

Also for the men: would you like to have a partner like this?

(in both cases, assuming you could afford to live with only one person working in your household)

"Idyllic" says who?

I'd go insane.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting... very mixed opinions on this.

Personally I think it would be very boring unless you had either children, lots of friends visiting or a hobby you were really into.

On the other hand I think it is pretty harsh that some people are saying that housewives are automatically submissive slaves. I know plenty of women who are housewives but who actually wear the trousers in their relationships.

Personally I think it would be very boring even with children, friends, hobbies...

Women should be running countries, companies, universities, not sitting around talking about cupcakes...
  • KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? I'm a fifties style housewifey and ain't no f*cker able to control me thank you very much.

:D:D I read that 'control' part and figured the OP was very young or had never been around all those families where the 'housewife' ruled !
  • KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just find housework excruciatingly boring.

The modern equivalent is surely the gym bunny. I was amazed to discover these women: they drop their chidren off at school, do a class, do an hour or so in the gym, spend ages and ages showering and doing their hair, have a long, leisurely lunch together, read the paper and chat, then go and pick their children up. Not surprisingly, they tend to look toned and rested, so perhaps their husbands (who are probably working 60 hours a week to pay for it) think they are getting their money's worth.

Yup, or variations of it. They also control the finances, as in investments, savings, budgets, etc. ...which makes perfect sense to me.

Considering the dumbasses you could end up working around or the boring, repetitive nature of so many jobs...I could do that lifestyle in a heartbeat I think, specially the long, leisurely lunches with friends! Nothing like meeting/talking to people on the same wave length as you for mental stimulation...I can't imagine being bored then
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member

My mum's 'idyllic' lifestyle as a 50s housewife was nothing like the life of a housewife today - no central heating - a coal fire to be set every morning and kept going, with all the resulting mess to be cleared away; no automatic washing machine - a top-loading washer with a mangle as it didn't spin; washing pegged out to dry in dry weather, in front of the fire filling the living room with steam on wet days; no supermarkets; no microwaves, freezers or convenience foods (apart from a very limited range). Outside toilets, quite often no bathroom - tin baths kept in the cellar and filled with water heated by boiling kettles on the cooker.

That was the reality for working-class women in the 50s - not my idea of idyllic!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinda wrote: »
    Considering the dumbasses you could end up working around or the boring, repetitive nature of so many jobs...I could do that lifestyle in a heartbeat I think, specially the long, leisurely lunches with friends! Nothing like meeting/talking to people on the same wave length as you for mental stimulation...I can't imagine being bored then

Really? I'd end up organising massacre in Prada, just out of sheer boredom.

There are many such wives round my way, husbands are bankers/lawyers - my next door neighbour shops, plays tennis & chats. Her husband's gets up at 4am & drinks too much. My bf & I have picked him up off the pavement a couple of times...

Women in that lifestyle just start getting obsessed with soft furnishings, surgery & pushing their children.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a housewife - not a very good one tbh, but a housewife nevertheless.

It's still a marriage of equals - his role is to bring in the money for our family, mine is to look after the family and make sure he's looked after enough to be fit to work in a demanding job that he loves.

We're pretty skint, but we'd sooner have it this way than any other. When our Babe is poorly with her asthma, or he has a delivery coming, or we need to sort out elderly relatives it's great that I have the flexibilty to drop everything and be available. I'd hate to lose the freedom I have and go back to an office again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've made a considered choice to be at home for four years whilst the children are small - it's a personal decision, that I felt they would benefit from having me around full time for the first few years.

I hate cooking and cleaning and won't do much of either. We have a cleaner to do that - although I couldn't give a cr*p to be honest. A tidy house is not that important to me.

My kids no longer get the benefit of me being around because I have gone back to college to re start my career as the youngest is at school, and the thought of being stuck at home for the rest of my life scares me to death.

I know quite a few full-time housewives and I respect their choices but could never, ever do it and I have no idea what they actually do all day whilst the kids are at school. I'd be interested how they measure the success or value of their life because it is not something that I understand, but they must find it rewarding in some way!
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was first married, I stayed at home and my job consisted of bringing up my three children. I cooked, using fresh ingredients (still do) and made cakes. I sewed and made my own clothes and my daughter's dresses. I looked after the house and garden; decorated, cleaned and still had time for my own pursuits. I wasn't bored and my days were full and busy.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I kind of envy some mums who have stayed at home for their families but in a nice way

I've been lucky in the fact that I've managed to spend a good proportion of time with them in their toddler days. Then I luckily got a job that allowed me time off with them but also I was able to see them all day as well as it was in the same school as the two youngest ones.