Upgrading - half rebuilding my PC, just a question

The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My motherboard is broke so ive decided to get a new one. Im also upgrading the graphics card from a geforce 9800 gtx to an SLi 2x geforce 470 gtx. Also upgrading the PSU from 650 to 1000 watt. Im keeping my CPU, memory, and solidstate harddrive.Windows 7 home 64 bit installed.

Question:
By using my old harddrive will the PC load up as normal so after the windows load screen has finished, will all the "found new hardware" "Drivers are being installed" etc on system tray next to the clock... will everything go smoothly like that? or would i have to reinstall windows after i first boot up? or something else?

Comments

• Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theoretically it should boot up fine. If it does, expect 'This copy of Windows is not Genuine' messages because of the amount of hardware change that has taken place. Sometimes you have to phone Microsoft's automated hotline or it will do it online.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also unistall any drivers that are related to any hardware you're removing BEFORE you remove anything. This is what I'd do anyway.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I prefer to do a clean install when changing something as significant as the motherboard (unless there is not much difference in the MB chipset, SATA chip etc.). Time consuming I know, installing all the apps and restoring data. But ensures everything runs smoothly. Also a great opportunity to junk any software etc. you don't use/need.
  • Ethan RayneEthan Rayne Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Personally I prefer to do a clean install when changing something as significant as the motherboard (unless there is not much difference in the MB chipset, SATA chip etc.). Time consuming I know, installing all the apps and restoring data. But ensures everything runs smoothly. Also a great opportunity to junk any software etc. you don't use/need.

I've found Windows 7 is really good at sorting itself out ,incudeing changing chipsets from nvidia to amd, that its no longer a requirement to do a clean install, both times i've done it required ringing the automated reactivation line though
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently changed my whole machine and kept the old hard drive installed, and was quite suprised Windows 7 even worked. I was planning to install fresh on my new SSD and forgotten to swap the boot settings. No blue screen for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    if you're changing the motherboard, you'd be a fool not to reinstall Windows, Unless you're swapping it out for the exact same make & model.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Times have changed since a decade ago when you'd have to do a clean install to avoid problems. Personally, I would still back everything up and format the drive as a major hardware change like you are planning is the ideal time to start with a clean system.
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    Also upgrading the PSU from 650 to 1000 watt.

Bloody hell guv, is your heating on the blink?
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    As you're presumably wanting to get the maximum performance out of this machine, I would avoid taking a shortcut and just go for the clean install.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did as i originally posted. No problems at all ;)
    Windows 7 is awesome.
    All i had to do was upgrade the graphics drivers and job done, i couldnt believe it. I was sort of expecting things to act slightly slower or not at all, but if anything things seem a little faster.

Windows performance test gives me a score of 7.3... due to the slowest part - my old 160GB solidstate harddrive lol that was so expensive for a harddrive.

The geforce 470 gtx gives a score of 7.8. the score cap is 7.9. Then i enabled the SLi feature in the nvidia tool window, retested and i think the score mustve gone off the chart.
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the scores only go up to 8.0

Mine does quite well too, although my boot into W7 on the old drive was accidental so I did a clean install on SSD afterwards.

W7 is, without a doubt, a good-un.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did as i originally posted. No problems at all ;)
    Windows 7 is awesome.
    All i had to do was upgrade the graphics drivers and job done, i couldnt believe it. I was sort of expecting things to act slightly slower or not at all, but if anything things seem a little faster.

Windows performance test gives me a score of 7.3... due to the slowest part - my old 160GB solidstate harddrive lol that was so expensive for a harddrive.

The geforce 470 gtx gives a score of 7.8. the score cap is 7.9. Then i enabled the SLi feature in the nvidia tool window, retested and i think the score mustve gone off the chart.

Are you sure you're talking about an SSD there? SSDs are quite recent.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that is based just on the size of it, not its speed!
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    It is based on disk transfer rate not size.

My setup has a rating of 5.9 based on Disk Transfer rate.

That's based on 3 Hard-drives totalling 1.75TB.

I reckon it uses the lowest reading of the three
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Are you sure you're talking about an SSD there? SSDs are quite recent.

Old as in 1 year. The newer drives are even faster, this is mine:
    http://www.dabs.com/products/intel-x25-m-160gb-2-5--mlc-sata-ii-68PQ.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old as in 1 year. The newer drives are even faster, this is mine:
    http://www.dabs.com/products/intel-x25-m-160gb-2-5--mlc-sata-ii-68PQ.html

Flaming heck! You must have one expensively built desktop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Flaming heck! You must have one expensively built desktop.
    Haha well, I built it a year ago and cost me about £1450 without a graphics card as i used an old graphics card (geforce 9800 gtx) which i was using as an upgrade for my previous PC which i gave to my sister and i put a £40 graphics card in there.

That 9800 graphics card fried last week. So as i said previously i upgraded the motherboard, power unit and got 2x 470 gtx's in SLi. I decided on 2x of those because the 470 is soo much cheaper than the 480 and perform almost equal, the new 580 isnt much different in performance so getting 2x 470's seemed best considering reliability, cost vs performance for high end cards. I say reliability because the best/fastest cards seem to die quicker than the model below.

Total price of my PC, not counting the old mobo and psu:
    £1800.

The most expensive PC maker, Alienware, a similar spec PC already built from them costs £2500-2900.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell! Well, enjoy then :D