Options

who thought that Royle Family episode was AWFUL

Comments

• Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You was meant to cringe

"You was"? Sorry, can we have that in English, please?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    "You was"? Sorry, can we have that in English, please?

Afraid not

Get back up on your high horse
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant return to form. Made me wish for a new series.
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be worse they could have had a Gavin and Stacey Christmas special.
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The usual quickly tossed off rubbish that Aherne gets away with every Christmas.
  • Options
    lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    i really enjoyed tonight's episode, it's not as good as the first 3 series and The Queen of Sheba and i
    don't think it ever will be but it still raised a lot of laughs in my house. I really want to see Antony and Saskia's wedding now. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Nope, thought it was very good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    OP - this thread hasn't gone the way you thought it would has it? :D
  • Options
    gaz141gaz141 Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it, think you are in the minority here OP
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which episode?
  • Options
    stevehotspurstevehotspur Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it, all back in the house, loads of laughs.
    Roll on next year.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont want a new series but once a year ok...and leave Gavin and Stacey alone please.
  • Options
    trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm in a minority, but I actually liked the last two Christmas specials.
    Tonight's had moments that really made me laugh and parts I didn't like so much ( I know it's just me, for instance, but I don't like Denise's disinterest in her kids, and think it goes too far).
    But you do have to take it for what it is, and though this won't go down as one of my favourite episodes, I'd hate for them to axe it.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or you could just switch off?:rolleyes:

It seems to just be a minority that dislike it... so I think it should continue for those who do enjoy watching it.

Lay it to rest? MY ARSE

There's a flaw in your reasoning..."just be a minority" - a minority of what? The people who watch it, or TV viewers in general? The former I take it, because I doubt whether those who don't enjoy it are a minority of all viewers.

So if the people who watched it but didn't like it stopped watching it, it would leave those who like it in the majority. According to your argument, the show should continue for those who enjoy watching - no matter how small that number may be - and be paid for by the majority who don't like it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the best thing on TV on Christmas Day for me. I loved it! I'm still laughing at it now. Brilliant. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i LOVED it!!!

I always have though :o
  • Options
    sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,286
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed this, far more than I expected to. It was great to see Ralf Little back in it, and some very funny moments throughout - much better than the last outing.

Interesting that the two writers have made their own characters virtually retarded now (certainly in Dave's case), although he's never been all there really... :p

The Royle Family is perfect for Christmas - an excuse for the whole family and friends to gather at the house on the one day of the year this happens around the country!
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or you could just switch off?:rolleyes:

Are you seriously suggesting that, if they dislike it, people can't have their own opinion of the show? Plus, your use of that smiley totally negates any credibility you thought you may have had.
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that, if they dislike it, people can't have their own opinion of the show? Plus, your use of that smiley totally negates any credibility you thought you may have had.

What Mr Goth said I get sick and tired of people on here saying switch off if you don't like it.
    This is a discussion forum and be pretty boring if every thread was full of fanboys droning on about their beloved shows.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    I love the "I don't like it - it need's to be axed" mentality, it really makes me smile.

Care to share any other shows you dislike? I'd hate for one of my favourites to vanish because you don't like them - I really don't. :p

Rubbish episodes do tend to taint the show as a whole - Fawlty Towers reputation is intact and always will be....what if they made specials into the 80's than got worse and worse - I'm certainly glad it ended in 1979.
    To be honest, the 3rd Royle Family series wasn't up to scratch - they should've stopped after Series 2 and made two specials Emma's parents round for Xmas and Nana's death...perfect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andie07 wrote: »
    It was the best thing on TV on Christmas Day for me. I loved it! I'm still laughing at it now. Brilliant. :D

me too....when Jim was reading the poem, we were really laughing, we loved it, I thought The One Ronnie was a bit tired ( obviously)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the other hand, the OP of this thread posted identical "I hated it" comments repeatedly on three threads (this one, the main Royle Family thread, and the Sheridan Smith thread) and never in all the many posts actually gave a convincing reason. The vast majority of other posters disagreed, yet the OP just kept saying "I hated it". The rolling eyes smiley was a pretty spot on response, I would say!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it a real mixture of humour and sad moments ~the man who plays Joe is a great actor
    I had no idea they would kill Mary off !.
  • Options
    mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    I thought it was brilliant :D

However, 'Come Fly With Me' was absolutely dire.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather they'd laid it to rest after the original 3 series, as the returns have sullied its reputation somewhat.

The show is now operating in a slightly more "sitcommy" reality. Dave is far stupider, Jim is even more unpleasant, Denise seems heartless, Joe is far more verbose than he ever was in the original episodes. Only Barbara seems unchanged.

I watched the last two episodes in the last week when they were on Gold. I was not keen on either of them on first viewing (especially The New Sofa which verged on pantomime at some points) but they were a good way of setting myself up for Joe's Crackers. They're only disappointing when compared to what the show used to be. Limited expectations then, for this outing.

I didn't mind it. I'm not sure I approve of killing Mary off offscreen but I guess you have to make these decisions if actors are unavailable. She was conspicuous by her absence last year, so it's good that it's now dealt with.

Once again it was trying too hard for laughs (the protestations over a minute's silence seemed nasty and the final moments were ridiculous) but it was still leaps abounds over dreck such as My Family.

Also, it's a small criticism but ever since The Queen of Sheba, when they lost the real-time aspect they began missing a key feature of how the show originally worked so well.

So, yeah, I don't mind a Christmas episode each year. If the show must be revived and has to operate as a shadow of its former glory, it's just as well that it's at a fairly consistent standard. I'd have difficulty choosing whether this was better or worse than The Golden Egg Cup.