Options

William's Uniform quick question

duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
Forum Member
✭✭
Was there a reason behind him wearing the Irish Guards uniform as opposed to wearing the uniform of the RAF in which he is actually serving?

Comments

• Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I read on the Beeb it may have something to do with the Queen undertaking the first state visit to the Irish republic. Building bridges.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's commissioned into the Army as well and is Colonel in Chief of the Irish Guards, the uniform he was wearing. It was also a diplomatic nod to Ireland as the Queen is visiting there soon on the first visit of a British monarch since George V.

But, the real reason is probably because the Irish Guards uniform is a lot more dressy and noticeable than an RAF officer's 'best blue'. As an ex RAF type myself I can tell you that we always felt like the poor relations when some of the Army regiments were on parade with us!! :D

William just wanted to look gorgeous!;)
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    He's commissioned into the Army as well and is Colonel in Chief of the Irish Guards, the uniform he was wearing. It was also a diplomatic nod to Ireland as the Queen is visiting there soon on the first visit of a British monarch since George V.

But, the real reason is probably because the Irish Guards uniform is a lot more dressy and noticeable than an RAF officer's 'best blue'. As an ex RAF type myself I can tell you that we always felt like the poor relations when some of the Army regiments were on parade with us!! :D

William just wanted to look gorgeous!;)

Should've kept the hat on then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Should've kept the hat on then.

Not the done thing in church, I'm afraid, but you're right he takes after his Grandad & Uncle Eddy in the receding hairline department!
  • Options
    kaloukkalouk Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure but I'm sure they said he had something added to it to represent the RAF it was early this morning I heard it so I may have nodded back to sleep and imagined the whole thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kalouk wrote: »
    Not sure but I'm sure they said he had something added to it to represent the RAF it was early this morning I heard it so I may have nodded back to sleep and imagined the whole thing.

He had the RAF pilot badge on the shoulder of his blue sash.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info.

Much appreciated. :)
  • Options
    kaloukkalouk Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He had the RAF pilot badge on the shoulder of his blue sash.

Thanks, glad I didn't imagine it, you must be a lot brighter than me first thing in the morning :)