Lady Gaga - ARTPOP (4th studio album)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Look, if you guys wanna talk about how Gaga is going to flop and disappear (which people have been doing since The Fame!!) then start a new thread about it- perhaps "The Fall of Lady Gaga?!1"- and talk about it there. This one is about her fourth album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Gaga will never again have the cultural impact of her debut. A volcano can only erupt for so long. She needs to either get away from dance music or make pretty much the best dance album ever.

Just to continue your analogy there, a volcano often has a lifespan of many millions of years and can erupt many many times during its life.

I think she could easily make another serious impact on pop culture, she just needs to play everything right. If she meant what she said about it being less serious then that's already a massive leap in the right direction for a more commercial appeal again. I just hope there's still some substance in the material, I have no doubt there will though with Gaga.

I think she's already made an error by announcing the album title when the release date is next Spring.

Also, didn't she say that she was announcing the album title in September, is there still going to be an announcement in September or is that void now?

I am very excited to see everything unfold though, in typical Gaga fashion.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'll probably do the first single announcement in September instead- if she doesn't spoil that by then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    I hope this album is good, as I find with Gaga, she has so much hype, but she never really has the material to back it up with. The Fame was a good debut, TFM was great, and then BTW wasn't good at all, asides one or two tracks. Everyone hypes her up so much, but she's a classic case of style over substance.

I do hope she manages to pull it off though, she seems lovely.
  • Kellie BKellie B Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I hope this album is good, as I find with Gaga, she has so much hype, but she never really has the material to back it up with. The Fame was a good debut, TFM was great, and then BTW wasn't good at all, asides one or two tracks. Everyone hypes her up so much, but she's a classic case of style over substance.

I do hope she manages to pull it off though, she seems lovely.

Yeah I do agree with this great point. I would even go as far as to say that Katy Perry and Rihanna have had songs that have made a much greater impact on pop culture than Lady Gaga has. So it will be interesting to say what Gaga tries to pull out of the bag this time.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree, Born This Way was great and I didnt like The Fame era.

I guess I'm one of those new fans who was drawn in by the last era like people mentioned above.

I don't know what I'd like to see in this new album. Something other people arent doing would be nice, but at the same time not so distant as to flop. I think we can expect moments of darkness and moments of bubbly, fizzy pop. But I'll probably like it either way. I like her voice.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    Lady Gaga has undenieably created some pop tunes that will be regarded as pop classics from the 00s and 10s : Poker Face, Bad Romance, Paparazzi, Telephone. Then there are some great beacons of shinning light in BTW, Judas, Edge of Glory, Alejandro. (Sadly, the non released greatness of Dance in the Dark, Americano, Heavy Metal Lover, I Like It Rough, Schiesse, Government Hooker will never reach the acclaim they deserve). But one thing is sure .....her first GHs is shaping up very nicely....potentially the best since Britney and Pink
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    I have no doubt that Art Pop will be a pop music excstasy takin a serious nod to the likes of the Maestro Pop Music Artists (MJ, Madonna, Queen, Bowie, Grace Jones and Abba) and Yes she will be a better pop artist for it. He pop roots will show out ......
  • Kellie BKellie B Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Chris Moyles and his Radio 1 Breakfast team were slagging Lady Gaga off this morning. I only got the last part of the conversation but Chris was calling her all style over substance. Wonder what made this happen? did anyone else catch it? I am surprised he did this.

I will listen again once it comes on the iplayer.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady Gaga has undenieably created some pop tunes that will be regarded as pop classics from the 00s and 10s : Poker Face, Bad Romance, Paparazzi, Telephone.

Even Gaga herself thinks Telephone's a lousy song that just had a striking video. I'd agree on the others though.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an interesting title and quite intriguing. I think she'll go back to more light hearted stuff like what was on The Fame and will distance herself from the pretentiousness of BTW. She started to take herself way too seriously and her more down to earth approach can be seen on what she says on twitter and how she's behaving in general whereas in the lead up to BTW she thought she was some sort of musical deity. This is a really important album for her, I think BTW went down well amongst her fans but not necessarily with the casuals and it sunk like a brick after the initial sales onslaught so I think she'll try and aim it towards the casuals a bit more
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Gaga has undenieably created some pop tunes that will be regarded as pop classics from the 00s and 10s : Poker Face, Bad Romance, Paparazzi, Telephone. Then there are some great beacons of shinning light in BTW, Judas, Edge of Glory, Alejandro. (Sadly, the non released greatness of Dance in the Dark, Americano, Heavy Metal Lover, I Like It Rough, Schiesse, Government Hooker will never reach the acclaim they deserve). But one thing is sure .....her first GHs is shaping up very nicely....potentially the best since Britney and Pink

Just a question out of interest, why are allways among fans
    Poker Face, Bad Romance and Paparazzi highly regarded as Materpieces.?

Isn't Just Dance far superior?(for me it is)

I'm from Germany and if I recall right Just Dance was the first Hit for her even before it all started in US or GB. (The same incidentally happend now to Lana del Rey )

And for Government Hooker this is a fu**** Masterwork.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I agree with the comment made about GaGa's first greatist hits, it is shaping up to be great! I hope there is a song like paparazzi on the new album, its my favourite song of hers.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from Edge Of Glory none of the singles from Born This Way did it for me. Judas is the worst song she has ever put out imho. I had to force myself to listen to the album because I just couldn't get into it.

I think this was a good thing in retrospect however because it means the next album can only be better. So having Born This Way being a naff record is probably going to benefit her for ARTPOP.

Still a bit mixed on her revisiting The Fame theme however. That chapter should be closed if you ask me.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from Edge Of Glory none of the singles from Born This Way did it for me. Judas is the worst song she has ever put out imho. I had to force myself to listen to the album because I just couldn't get into it.

I think this was a good thing in retrospect however because it means the next album can only be better. So having Born This Way being a naff record is probably going to benefit her for ARTPOP.

Still a bit mixed on her revisiting The Fame theme however. That chapter should be closed if you ask me.

I agree. Never go backwards and try to re-create the music that made you the star today. Well that's what i think
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Never go backwards and try to re-create the music that made you the star today. Well that's what i think

I think The Fame was very much a self contained era. I don't think its right for her to know go back into it. I suppose one of the problems Gaga has though is that she has done so many different image styles in such a short space of time that there is little for her left to really work with. So repeating some things was going to happen. Perhaps she shouldn't have been so full on that early in her career. Holding some ideas back for later albums would have been more wise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    It's only fan speculation and assumption that she's revisiting The Fame. Even if she touches on similar ideas, I doubt she'll repeat herself. She probably won't need to considering there's a wealth of material left to explore.

I doubt she'll ever 100% draw a line under it all, anyway. Warholian philosophies on Fame, pop culture and iconography clearly fascinate her and are at the root of what "Lady Gaga" is. She was even writing essays about this in school.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The title to me sounds like it's off the back of 'the fame' era. I hope it is. Brilliant debut album (and 'tfm' as a follow up).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am way more positive about this now since that letter to her fans and the totally fabulous perfume advert.

I'd rather forget BTW happened and just regard this as her 3rd album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is like The Fame then its definitely quite a regression from Born This Way. Maybe her label want The Fame type success again from her so gave her less control over this album than BTW.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fame era had big hype because she was new. Her career just needs to find a safe place commercial wise.

I don't buy the "go away and come back". Her image is very polarizing it really doesn't matter how long she is gone or not.

I am curious more for this because of the BTW drama. I like pure dance from her.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Beyonce & Gaga are teaming up together. The word 'ratchet' is being thrown around too many times..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm will Ratchet be the "Lady Marmalade 01" of 2012?? Two big Pop Divas and Two R&B/Hip Hop sensations on one song??? hmmmmmm, either way its all a little bit exciting isnt it ;)
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    I think Gaga's Ratchet is different to Beyonce's Ratchet but who knows maybe there's something they've not said ;)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Is Ratchet definitely the title of her new single then?