Windows 10

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    Ok, a couple of questions from a noob:

I was mid installation when a message popped up saying that if I was to continue with the installation, I would lose the language packs I have installed (I don't have any custom ones installed - just the default UK one). What did that mean?? :confused:

My laptop is as follows:

Processor: Stone Group laptop with Intel Pentium, CPU B950 @2.10GHz, RAM 4.00GB 3.40 GB Usable, 32 bit, currently running Windows 7.

Is this sufficient to run Windows 10 smoothly - I know the Windows 10 website shows that my pc can run in but want your views?!!

Ignore message re. language. The guys in US speak and write in something that closely resembles English (:-))

PC should be fine. You can roll back to W7 within 28 days. Also recommend making a full system image to external hard drive using Macrium Reflect Free or similar.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It didn't take long...

Scammers capitalise on Windows 10's popularity in latest ploy

You get an email from Microsoft, who else, that you can install W10 using the attached "installer", which is a classic ransomware. I am afraid a lot of people may actually fall for this one.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just like to report that RCT1 works on Windows 10 if you fancy playing a better game then Candy Crush :D
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    That seems an long time - how much memory does your laptop have, or was internert very slow?
    It looks like the internet was slow or probably more likely the limitations of the laptop's broadcom wi-fi chip, as it is a couple of generations back now.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Unlimited downloads but 'only' 5 Mbit/s. Download takes a couple of hours.

It's not a problem, I can still browse, more or less as normal.

Windows Updates are a right hog though, Do they have secret priorities?
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it possible to change the way it logs into accounts? With W7 shutdown also logged you out, with 10 it logs back into the last user account. This is a pain in the ass on a shared PC. So much so I've gone back to 7 for the time being.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »
    Ignore message re. language. The guys in US speak and write in something that closely resembles English (:-))

PC should be fine. You can roll back to W7 within 28 days. Also recommend making a full system image to external hard drive using Macrium Reflect Free or similar.

...thanks for this!!

Just installed Windows 10 (only took just over an hour!) and it actually seems to have improved the speed of how programs and windows open up!! I'm actually liking Windows 10 quite a bit - much better than Windows 7.
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible to change the way it logs into accounts? With W7 shutdown also logged you out, with 10 it logs back into the last user account. This is a pain in the ass on a shared PC. So much so I've gone back to 7 for the time being.

Re-install W10, try right-click Start Button, Command prompt (Admin) and type netplwiz

If that doesn't work may be better to go back to W7 again.

If someone has another suggestion, reinstall W10.....etc
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re-install W10, try right-click Start Button, Command prompt (Admin) and type netplwiz

If that doesn't work may be better to go back to W7 again.

If someone has another suggestion, reinstall W10.....etc

According to a technical website, A pin instead of a password should work to prevent to auto sign in. I can't test because I am the only user on this computer.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    It didn't take long...

You get an email from Microsoft, who else, that you can install W10 using the attached "installer", which is a classic ransomware. I am afraid a lot of people may actually fall for this one.

Hmm nasty. Although obvious scam to everyone here. Hopefully Microsoft will issue a widely publicised advisory about they never send the W10 installer as an email attachment. People should know better, but I fear some will fall for it.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to a technical website, A pin instead of a password should work to prevent to auto sign in. I can't test because I am the only user on this computer.

Settings->Accounts->Sign-in options->
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    I upgraded on my PC find which is self build. On my brothers PC which a Medion PC it failed to install with Error 0x80070652 and fails to apply the image.

Tried most of the Microsoft rep solution but no further forward. I'm thinking the only option might to partition the drive and install it separately as it's seems to failing to write W10.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An issue i have noticed not just in windows 10, 8 and 7 but when i hover over am mp3 file it gives most of the information about it but not the bit rate of it. In XP it shows the bitrate of the file but the only way i can see it is if i go into properties of the file and shows it there.

I can add a colum in 1 folder of mp3 files but how do i apply to show all bitrates on all files in all folders and directories without creating another column in each folder?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member

Do you mean it actually logs on so that you can use the the PC? - (Change your log in preference to require password)
    Or, that you just get one account to sign into? (bottom left, I think, all your accounts)
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how to zoom to a custom level in Edge?
    It goes from 100% to 125% and that is too large for me. In IE I would use around 112%, but I can't see any way of having a custom size zoom.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know how to zoom to a custom level in Edge?
    It goes from 100% to 125% and that is too large for me. In IE I would use around 112%, but I can't see any way of having a custom size zoom.

Hold down CTRL on your keyboard and turn the wheel in your mouse to adjust your zoom size. On mine, it can go to 110%.

That usually works in any Windows program.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    An issue i have noticed not just in windows 10, 8 and 7 but when i hover over am mp3 file it gives most of the information about it but not the bit rate of it. In XP it shows the bitrate of the file but the only way i can see it is if i go into properties of the file and shows it there.

I can add a colum in 1 folder of mp3 files but how do i apply to show all bitrates on all files in all folders and directories without creating another column in each folder?

In Explorer, click View Tab
    Options
    View Tab
    Apply to Folders
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Hold down CTRL on your keyboard and turn the wheel in your mouse to adjust your zoom size. On mine, it can go to 110%.

That usually works in any Windows program.

Thanks.
    That did it.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    It didn't take long...

psionic wrote: »
    Hmm nasty. Although obvious scam to everyone here. Hopefully Microsoft will issue a widely publicised advisory about they never send the W10 installer as an email attachment. People should know better, but I fear some will fall for it.:(

:o That type of malevolence i shocking. If it does occur then there's advice here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2084002/how-to-rescue-your-pc-from-ransomware.html

That said, it's advisable to back up your data prior to an operating system upgrade and at general regular intervals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Backing up a System Image, to a USB external hard drive, is one of the key points.

It protects against extreme viruses and encryption malware. Or just random messing up of Windows, for whatever reason.

Cost £30-£60 if needing an extra hard drive.

Making the backup only takes a little brain effort the first 2 or 3 times it is done.
    Then the idea becomes clear. Honest! :)

Do it now! Tomorrow!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    Backing up a System Image, to a USB external hard drive, is one of the key points.

It protects against extreme viruses and encryption malware. Or just random messing up of Windows, for whatever reason.

Cost £30-£60 if needing an extra hard drive.

Making the backup only takes a little brain effort the first 2 or 3 times it is done.
    Then the idea becomes clear. Honest! :)

Do it now! Tomorrow!

...with our free friend right here: Macrium Reflect Free :)
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How to alleviate some of the stuff you signed up for by installing 10.
    www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/03/windows_10_privacy_defaults/

At least you can alleviate it, at least for now. Our signature allows MS to turn it all back on, and more, via them compulsory updates.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, read his message
    site update - 4 august

this guy knows his onions talking about windows

http://www.tweakguides.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as I saw 'Use Express Settings' my antennae twitched.

I locked it down via Custom Install and later through every Privacy setting I could find.

I still daresay there is hidden access in the backgound.

"Allow MS access to my Contacts and Calendar"?

Cheek.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The privacy watchdog now gets involved with the Mail one of the first to actually report it, yet again.
    www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3184827/Is-Microsoft-reading-emails-Windows-10-threaten-privacy-watchdogs-warn.html

"The privacy statement says: ‘your typed and handwritten words are collected.’"