Sky Broadband issue.

Hello all,

I'm New to this forum and hoping someone may be able to give me a steer on the following issue.

I have recently moved to a 6 year old new development near Epsom in greater London.I have never been blessed with super fast BB in my previous properties so was hoping i might hit the jackpot this time.

I have gone for the Sky unlimited package due to the fact i wanted to make use of the sky any time download service with my new SKY+HD box.

Was told when i signed up that i should be able to get 10MB download speeds in my location but in reality its about 1.3MB.

When installed it started at 2mb but during the 'training' period it dropped right down to 0.25MB before i had to ring up and complain. Its now settled at the 1.3MB which is way too slow to use the anytime service so the question im really asking is if I went to another provider would i be able to get anything faster?

BT have said i WOULD get 15MB with them but how can there be a difference?

this is a speed test i just did:

1061378223.png

Don't really understand the Noise db correlation thing so any ideas would be great. these numbers do seem very high considering im less than 2 miles from the exchange.

This is the Sky Router statistics info.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1248 kbps 960 kbps
Line Attenuation 50.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 16.9 db 7.0 db

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    chucky2 wrote: »
    i
    Those numbers show that you ARE getting in excess of 10 Mb/s - about 12 in fact.

Based on that high Line Speed, you will need to discuss with Sky why your Throughput number is so appalling.
  • tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i
    Those numbers show that you ARE getting in excess of 10 Mb/s - about 12 in fact.

Based on that high Line Speed, you will need to discuss with Sky why your Throughput number is so appalling.

Isn't 1248K equal to 1.248M?

For the OP to be getting 12Meg it would say 12480K wouldn't it?:confused:
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim1964 wrote: »
    Isn't 1248K equal to 1.248M?

For the OP to be getting 12Meg it would say 12480K wouldn't it?:confused:
    True. Me thinks beerhunter's been on the brandy:D:p.
    Forum Member
    True. Me thinks beerhunter's been on the brandy:D:p.
    Well if one can't find any beer - any port (sic) in a storm.

You're both absolutely right. I was out by a factor of ten.

So back to the OP's problem. Start by reading on these forums how to use your Test Socket.
  • AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, if you insert your downstream attenuation (i.e. 50) into this site it will calculate the maximum speeds you can expect on your line.
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

So you should get more than 1.248 but do not expect the 10 or 15 you have been quoted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks All.

I have used the test socket with a small improvement. Went from 1.4Mb to 1.55Mb. Im not after soper quick but anything above my old speed of 3.2Mb would be fine. I find the Sky Sagem router pretty poor with the wifi side. Speeds are halved to my Ipnone 4 which normally loves wifi.

So would going to say BT possibly get me faster speeds or is it all the same system no matter who provides the service?

thanks
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

Further to my speed issues.I seem to have found the problem!

I'm in a newish build 3 bedroom apt (5 years old) which has phone sockets in 2 of the bedroom as well as the lounge. The master socket is in a utility area by the front door.

Went into the test socket and immediately my noise went from around 20db down to 9db resulting in a speed increase to 5mb!!!! Great!!!!

Put the master socket back together,plugged in the cable and Boom. Back up to 25db and speed to 1.2mb.

So obviously the noisy line is the issue. What could be causing the increase? all i have is a Sky+ Hd box in the lounge socket on a filter supplied by sky, but even when i remove it it makes no difference.
    Forum Member
    First, ensure that ONLY the following wires are connected to the back of the faceplates of the Master and Extension Sockets: Blue & White to 2 and White & Blue to 5. NO OTHER wires are needed and so should NOT be connected. If you find any that are disconnect them.

Now with only the router connected, check your speed. Now start plugging telephones and the Sky box (via microfilters) one at a time, testing the speed at each step.

BTW the Sky box does not need to be connected to the telephone line unless you have multi-room or use Interactive Services. As these boxes often cause problems, I'd leave it disconnected if I was you.
    Forum Member
    I have had a look behind the faceplate. the orange wires were connected as well. have pulled them out leaving only the blue and blue stripe.Although the blue with white stripe is in position 1 not 2?

nothing else in house plugged in but as soon i change from test socket to main the Db gain jumps from 7.1db to 18-22db resulting in a major drop in speed. What else could cause the line noise?

Thx
  • ilovekrysilovekrys Posts: 1,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry mate but it does sound like you have been wired up wrong
    2 blue and white
    5 white and blue

so it does sound like you have got to change the wiring on the normal lines not the main bit of the master socket
    Forum Member
    nothing else in house plugged in but as soon i change from test socket to main the Db gain jumps from 7.1db to 18-22db resulting in a major drop in speed. What else could cause the line noise?
    Nothing. It's your Internal Wiring or something connected to it.

You need to go through the exercise that I posted earlier.