• sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is Jane?
  • junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    There's a real danger that they will overdo the maudlin stuff with this storyline. Of course it has to be drawn out but they have to be careful not to get carried away.....they don't need to hammer home the point that Hayley is dying and that this is a personal tragedy for her and Roy.

I totally agree, its some of the best acting in Corrie but I think it has to have a balance and not too much as the majority of people watch Corrie as an escapism and not for heavy drama. They maybe should of done a special 1 and a half hour special about the heavy Haley scenes then those that want to watch can do and the other Corrie fans can have it a bit more lighthearted. What with Nicks storyline last night's episode was far to depressing for Christmas, they seem to of turned into Eastenders.
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Cripes Corrie was depressing tonight, I feel like popping my clogs myself.

Really can't wait for Hayley to hurry up & peg it - not sure I can stomach much more of this - grizzling at the panto, hurling Chrimbo trees, breaking that expensive looking angel, shouting at Kylie.

Where's me valium ...

Yes, that angel upset me. They don't come cheap and it was very fortunate for us all that Roy is such a good D.I.Y merchant. The tree is probably ruined though. Maybe Hayley should reflect on that but, yes, that angel thing upset me.
  • Charley Says...Charley Says... Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »
    I think it's being done very well...It makes you realize it can happen to anyone at any time...I really felt for Hayley last night when you could hear her crying in the bedroom what emotions and thoughts were going through her mind.....It certainly makes you appreciate good health...

I may be wrong but wasn't it Leanne who was breaking her heart when Nick walked in... :confused:

I know I have ranted at her on here on another thread but when she was crying made me feel really sorry for her...
    Then what does the baldy loon go and do... creep back out of the door... >:(
  • ncl*girlncl*girl Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds awful but it's just far too depressing for Christmas time viewing, and I know they've got to put hard-hitting storylines in to emulate real life - but I can't help but think anyone who does have cancer, or does have a terminally ill relative wont want reminded of it over this period.
  • avaconradavaconrad Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ncl*girl wrote: »
    It sounds awful but it's just far too depressing for Christmas time viewing, and I know they've got to put hard-hitting storylines in to emulate real life - but I can't help but think anyone who does have cancer, or does have a terminally ill relative wont want reminded of it over this period.

My sister has bone and breast cancer and I can't even watch it.
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    avaconrad wrote: »
    My sister has bone and breast cancer and I can't even watch it.

Being serious for a minute, I can fully understand the view of people and it is, of course, hugely distressing for those closely involved in real life tragedy but I sometimes wonder in soaps why we are so defensive of cancer, for example, yet find murder much more palatable and "entertaining".
  • Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes they had a depressing episode but for someone who's just found out they have weeks left to live it wasn't going to be street party was it?

and the Christmas day was light hearted I think and was great.
  • adamlee19adamlee19 Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch corrie aint watched it since 99 or so.
    I cant answer anyone simpley cause I dunno whats going on obviously know Hayley is leaving. But anyway peoples saying how bad Corrie is atm but yet there easly beating eastenders in the ratings. Cant be that bad.
  • ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the consultant was true to form actually. He didn't actually die but my mother and I were told my dad might not survive and the way his consultant spoke to us was similar to Hayley's.

I know it's not real but people calling Hayley Harold is so disrespectful. She has been known as Hayley for 15 years so why call her Harold now?
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    Being serious for a minute, I can fully understand the view of people and it is, of course, hugely distressing for those closely involved in real life tragedy but I sometimes wonder in soaps why we are so defensive of cancer, for example, yet find murder much more palatable and "entertaining".

Because it's too close to home for comfort. Most people aren't likely to live in a street with a murderer, or have been affected by some nutbag doing in the residents. Most people have or will however, unfortunately be affected by cancer one way or another, either directly or indirectly through someone they know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was really glad they allowed Hayley to just rage against the unfairness of it all last night; that seemed far more realistic than the endlessly upbeat "lets go bungee jumping, I'll just strap my morphine pump to my leg" kind of dialogue or the heavyhanded "oh, I don't want the party (i.e. MY LIFE) to come to an end (i.e DEATH)" symbolism. When a doctor has to tell a patient they only have weeks to live, I would imagine they have to be fairly flat and emotionless about it to contain some of their own feelings about being the bringer of such terrible news, so I actually thought the consultant was well played.

Yes, it was downbeat and depressing and I'm finding this storyline a bit of a struggle to watch - my partner's mum died of pancreatic cancer in April and my niece successfully battled cervical cancer over the summer and is now in remission, thank God. I'm really hoping they don't drag out Hayley's death scene for too long, that would be just cruel to the viewers and to the characters. I want her to slip away in her sleep.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrWoodySir wrote: »
    We need our Jane to return.
    IWasBored wrote: »

Jane had the best attitude to her death

Again, who is Jane? Hello??????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    Again, who is Jane? Hello??????

Jane - woman Hayley met at the cancer support group. Died in November.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    I'm depressed at the thought of another MUP (Mouthy Young Person) arriving on The Street. Sophie's new friend. :(

I think we have more than enough already.

More than enough, already, Sandra-Bee - Kylie, Faye, Grace, none of whom can act. I have a nasty suspicion that the latest MUP will become Sophie's next lover and end up living at Sally's.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may be wrong but wasn't it Leanne who was breaking her heart when Nick walked in... :confused:

Both Hayley and Leanne were, just to drive home how depressing the show is right now :o
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    Depressing is not the word! It is totally heavyhearted, full of hopelessnes coupled with Kylie's desperation to wholly destroy her life. Although it is acted well by all actors especially the two who play Roy and Hayley, it is very dark and dismal.

I totally agree. Way to put the viewers in a thoroughly depressed state whilst watching a much loved soap at Christmas I thought. :(
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's too close to home for comfort. Most people aren't likely to live in a street with a murderer, or have been affected by some nutbag doing in the residents. Most people have or will however, unfortunately be affected by cancer one way or another, either directly or indirectly through someone they know.

Spot on.
  • Susan_TowersSusan_Towers Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    re having terminal cancer as a story line - it makes me rather angry to be honest. My mother did of cancer last christmas, and no soap opera will ever convey the true pain and reality of the disease. But that is my problem I suppose. I find it hard to watch because it brings back something I would rather forget.I expect if one of your family has been murdered or killed in an accident you would find similar scenes hard to watch. Sadly, cancer is everywhere, there can be few people whose lives haven't been touched by it directly or indirectly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unnecessarily misery-based writing over the last couple of weeks - a predictable and clichéd meltdown from Kylie, the sordid Nick/Leanne development and the unbearably bleak change in tone in Roy and Hayley's storyline. The acting remains convincing in the latter, but there is far too much overwrought emotion pervading storylines at the moment and giving them little viability; the end result is that the show as a whole feels very negative and miserable. Attempts at comedy (Mary's "won't see another one", Sally and the trifle) have fallen flat. As the Blackburn tenure continues, things are starting to look even less promising with more tired material coming up for Kylie, the crude portrayal of Hayley's illness and frankly intolerable nonsense such as Tina/Peter and another "feisty" character in the form of Maddie. Get your act together Corrie - if you insist on giving us non-stop bleakness, make it plausible!
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% agree, especially the second episode - I felt like slitting my wrists!

I never thought that I'd be willing Hayley to hurry up and kick the bucket but I'm now bored to tears with this storyline, which is sad because it could have been so much better.

Also, in tonight's first episode, the director should have told the actress playing the consultant that she was supposed to act her lines and not just read them - she was appalling! Did she not realise that the cameras were rolling?

I thought that too!! No emotion, she was like a robot>:(
  • MallyminxMallyminx Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    I agree with a previous poster, the consultant needed to speak in that unemotional way. It must be terrible having to break such tragic news to someone and staying professionally unemotional must help both them and the patient to 'hold it together'. Or everyone would break down which would be dreadful.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unnecessarily misery-based writing over the last couple of weeks - a predictable and clichéd meltdown from Kylie, the sordid Nick/Leanne development and the unbearably bleak change in tone in Roy and Hayley's storyline. The acting remains convincing in the latter, but there is far too much overwrought emotion pervading storylines at the moment and giving them little viability; the end result is that the show as a whole feels very negative and miserable. Attempts at comedy (Mary's "won't see another one", Sally and the trifle) have fallen flat. As the Blackburn tenure continues, things are starting to look even less promising with more tired material coming up for Kylie, the crude portrayal of Hayley's illness and frankly intolerable nonsense such as Tina/Peter and another "feisty" character in the form of Maddie. Get your act together Corrie - if you insist on giving us non-stop bleakness, make it plausible!

To be fair, it's only this weak that the Hayley storyline has been bleak. I'd become a bit fed up with her relentless cheerfulness and insistence on doing everything her way. However, I love ROy's character and am always happy when he's on screen.

I'm totally bored with the Platt saga. Kylie had progressed as a character and now she's regressed to how she was a couple of years back. I'm just not that interested in David/Kylie/Nick/Leanne. It seems they've run out of ideas with them and are just going round in circles.

Although it was depressing, I still preferred it to the Christmas Day episodes that were filled with false merriment (the snowball fight) and comedy moments like Sally's head in the trifle (not funny) and Norris's coat being used for the snowman.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallyminx wrote: »
    I agree with a previous poster, the consultant needed to speak in that unemotional way. It must be terrible having to break such tragic news to someone and staying professionally unemotional must help both them and the patient to 'hold it together'. Or everyone would break down which would be dreadful.

I thought she was just a bad actress. She seemed quite nervous delivering her lines (Maybe going on the Corrie set as a new character is quite nerve wracking) but doctors are usually pretty cool and professionally distant when it comes to breaking bad news.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ameredith wrote: »
    I thought the consultant was true to form actually. He didn't actually die but my mother and I were told my dad might not survive and the way his consultant spoke to us was similar to Hayley's.

I know it's not real but people calling Hayley Harold is so disrespectful. She has been known as Hayley for 15 years so why call her Harold now?

This. It really annoys me that I'm seeing so many posts referring to her as Harold recently. I know she's not actually a real person but it's bordering on transphobia for me. If Hayley was a real person and people were referring to her as Harold then that would be completely unacceptable.

In terms of the episode last night, yes they were depressing but what were people expecting with the nature of the content? I actually thought it was really well done and the best Corrie episodes in a while.