Options

A Simpler and leaner BBC

marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
Forum Member
✭✭
BBC DG Tony Hall has today outl;ined plans for a leaner BBC with the loss of up to 1000 jobs

The licence fee income in 2016/17 is now forecast to be £150m less than it was expected to be in 2011. This is because as more people use iPlayer, mobiles and online catch-up, the number of households owning televisions is falling. It also provides further evidence of the need for the licence fee to be modernised to cover digital services.

The new measures being proposed will help bridge that gap by delivering £50m in savings from merging divisions, cutting down management layers, reducing managers and improving processes. More than 1,000 posts will be lost as a result.

The proposed steps that will be taken to make the BBC simpler and leaner are:

To reduce the number of divisions. First by joining up technology teams across Digital, Engineering and Worldwide. Further changes are also possible.
To reduce the number of layers from the top to the bottom of the organisation. In some places there are currently 10 layers of people and management and this will be cut to a maximum of seven in the future.
To reduce management roles in all areas of the BBC. A simpler organisation will inevitably require fewer managers, especially at senior levels.
To simplify and standardise procedures across the BBC, particularly looking at how professional and support areas such as marketing and communications, finance, HR, IT support and legal are structured and can be simplified.

Throughout the summer, the BBC will be identifying where the specific savings opportunities are with final decisions expected to be taken in early autumn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/simpler-leaner-bbc?ns_mchannel=email&ns_source=inxmail_newsletter&ns_campaign=bbcmediacentre_corporate__&ns_linkname=na&ns_fee=0

Comments

• Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Another thread about the BBC! Wahey(!!!!)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any reduction in the numbers of BBC managers is to be welcomed - and was promised by Tony Hall shortly after he took office.
  • Options
    arista_tibb7arista_tibb7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Any reduction in the numbers of BBC managers is to be welcomed - and was promised by Tony Hall shortly after he took office.

Yes its a Good Thing
  • Options
    dave666dave666 Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is good news the bbc have been having a free ride for too long. its days are. numbered time for the extortion tax to end and the bbc to support its self
  • Options
    Joe_WhiteJoe_White Posts: 1,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I never.
    I wonder what the "official" claimed evasion/no licence figure is now? it was 5.5% & "low" was the PR claim.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why cant the BBC just change the TV Licence so that you need a TV licence to watch shows on catch up on iplayer
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Why cant the BBC just change the TV Licence so that you need a TV licence to watch shows on catch up on iplayer

The Culture Media and Sport can request the T&C's be changed to include digital/mobile devices and catchup, but then it has to be changed by law in parliament.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »

or just get rid of the the tv tax. hopefully next year they have even less money.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave666 wrote: »
    this is good news the bbc have been having a free ride for too long. its days are. numbered time for the extortion tax to end and the bbc to support its self

It has been explained to types like you why ads and subs are a non-starter for a public service BBC. You keep saying what you're saying doesn't change this fact. Put simply...

The Licence Fee... keeps the BBC universal and independent. Both very important. Non-commercial programming can also be made which the ad-channels don't make.

Ads and subs promote a race to the bottom. Poor / cheap programming to maximize profits. Then there is the negative impact on the current commercial sector, FTA platforms and universality.

Having programming uninterrupted by ads is bliss...appreciated by the masses, another reason why the universal funding of the Beeb must be maintained.

The BBC is the best that we have. It must be well funded to allow it to continue to be the best. The broadcasting levy is the necessary update to the licence fee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    It has been explained to types like you why ads and subs are a non-starter for a public service BBC. You keep saying what you're saying doesn't change this fact. Put simply...

The Licence Fee... keeps the BBC universal and independent. Both very important. Non-commercial programming can also be made which the ad-channels don't make.

Ads and subs promote a race to the bottom. Poor / cheap programming to maximize profits. Then there is the negative impact on the current commercial sector, FTA platforms and universality.

Having programming uninterrupted by ads is bliss...appreciated by the masses, another reason why the universal funding of the Beeb must be maintained.

The BBC is the best that we have. It must be well funded to allow it to continue to be the best. The broadcasting levy is the necessary update to the licence fee.

the bbc is best in your opinion it is an opinion not fact. we all have our own opinions i much prefer sky over anything the bbc has to offer.
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or just get rid of the the tv tax. hopefully next year they have even less money.

So we'll all have less money thanks to having to hand it over to Sky, VM and BT after they take advantage of the depleted FTA offerings..
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    the bbc is best in your opinion it is an opinion not fact. we all have our own opinions i much prefer sky over anything the bbc has to offer.

Well I prefer BT over Sky but that doesn't mean we don't need Sky and the BBC.

We can and should have all three, without cuts in income or services for any. Competition and variety forces standards and choice to be maintained.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VDUBster wrote: »
    So we'll all have less money thanks to having to hand it over to Sky, VM and BT after they take advantage of the depleted FTA offerings..

so you are forgetting about itv channel 4 channel 5 and many more free to air broadcasters
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so you are forgetting about itv channel 4 channel 5 and many more free to air broadcasters

For now... Those three all have Pay TV operations too.

Do you really think they are going to turn down a wedge of money to go behind a paywall if offered?

The Murdochs do not support the demise of the TV Licence and the BBC because it will benefit us financially...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Well I prefer BT over Sky but that doesn't mean we don't need Sky and the BBC.

We can and should have all three, without cuts in income or services for any. Competition and variety forces standards and choice to be maintained.

the bbc gets its money by extortion sky virgin media have to earn theirs by providing a quality service that people want. it is finally looking like the bbc have to start living in the real world. i am hoping the license gets cut even more at the next charter renewal
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please get rid of Victoria Derbyshire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VDUBster wrote: »
    For now... Those three all have Pay TV operations too.

Do you really think they are going to turn down a wedge of money to go behind a paywall if offered?

The Murdochs do not support the demise of the TV Licence and the BBC because it will benefit us financially...

more likely they will stay fta and benefit from more viewers as more people would be watching tv because they don't have to pay a corrupt biased organisation
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    £50m expected to be saved by 1,000 job cuts. That means at those 1,000 are on around £50k a year, bloody hell. They must be swimming in money at the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    £50m expected to be saved by 1,000 job cuts. That means at those 1,000 are on around £50k a year, bloody hell. They must be swimming in money at the BBC.

all paid for out of mine and your wallet even if we don't watch the abbc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

...but Sky doesn't offer a broad portfolio of quality UK content ad-free does it. Sky is mainly imports, repeats and ads isn't it...only available to those who can pay. Sky is not a public service like the Beeb. That's the difference.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...but Sky doesn't offer a broad portfolio of quality UK content ad-free does it. Sky is mainly imports, repeats and ads isn't it...only available to those who can pay. Sky is not a public service like the Beeb. That's the difference.

The point is, MANY people don't care about PSB and they prefer to pay for Sky and have no love for the BBC.

I for one am cancelling Sky as I see it as the least value for money thing I have ever paid for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

sky have been making more homegrown content in the last few years. an idiot abroad was excellent even though i can't stand ricky gervais
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the bbc gets its money by extortion sky virgin media have to earn theirs by providing a quality service that people want. it is finally looking like the bbc have to start living in the real world. i am hoping the license gets cut even more at the next charter renewal

My post number 11 explains everything really clearly. The BBC is a public service.

Private is not the answer. Private means cheap programming, narrow programming and bums on seats programming. Not a positive move.

What you are advocating is the destruction of our broadcasting sector right?
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    Please get rid of Victoria Derbyshire.

Definitely.

I would chip in some money myself towards her redundancy package, if the BBC can get rid of the unhinged man hater.

About time that the management bloated BBC gravy train was reduced and put in some order to give VFM.£4 billion a year licence fee funding and only half of that goes on BBC programmes ? Who is pocketing the rest of it ?