I'm a bit confused with the connection from Sky Q Mini to Q Silver..?

2»

Comments

• pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zaichik wrote: »
    Incidentally, while the Q system uses 5Ghz wifi if you have Sky BB and the hub, it will only use 2.4Ghz wifi with other BB providers.

You can get a 5Ghz wifi connection to a Q Mini if your NOT on Sky broadband!

To do that, you would need a Sky Q Booster, connected to your router via an Ethernet cable. The 'connected' light on the Q Booster will NOT light up, however it will connect a via WPS to a Q Mini on the 5Ghz band.

Before you connect up the Q Booster directly to your router, you should reset it by holding the reset button on the rear for around 10 seconds until the red light flashes green.

Also, the Q Booster connected this way will act as a dual band wifi hotspot. You can get the password from the Q Booster by going to the Q Boosters menu directly.
  • BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get a 5Ghz wifi connection to a Q Mini if your NOT on Sky broadband!

To do that, you would need a Sky Q Booster, connected to your router via an Ethernet cable. The 'connected' light on the Q Booster will NOT light up, however it will connect a via WPS to a Q Mini on the 5Ghz band.

Before you connect up the Q Booster directly to your router, you should reset it by holding the reset button on the rear for around 10 seconds until the red light flashes green.

Also, the Q Booster connected this way will act as a dual band wifi hotspot. You can get the password from the Q Booster by going to the Q Boosters menu directly.
    You only get wifi hotspots on sky broadband actually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    You only get wifi hotspots on sky broadband actually.

I'm not referring to hotspots from a Q Mini here. You can get wifi from a Q Booster if connected In the way described in my post.!

There is also a way to get hotspots from Q minis without Sky Broadband, but it does involve using a Sky Q router, see post 8 on the thread below.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=82867120#post82867120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Customers cant connect to a booster as a hotspot if its connected to a 3rd part router though. Booster only transmit 5ghz if i remember rightly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Customers cant connect to a booster as a hotspot if its connected to a 3rd part router though.

Yes they can, if connected as described in post 28 of this thread.
    Booster only transmit 5ghz if i remember rightly.

Booster transmit on both bands, I have copied and pasted the details from my booster below.

Your Sky Booster 2's Connection To An Access Point

Status of your wireless network

Wireless Enabled

Wireless Network Name (SSID)

Wireless Network Visible Yes

Current Wireless Channel 1 (2.4 GHz), 36 (5 GHz)

Wireless Encryption WPA2-PSK

If you go to the Booster 2's menu and click on "Advanced" (Username = admin Password = sky ) you can set different passwords for 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz networks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they can, if connected as described in post 28 of this thread.

Booster transmit on both bands, I have copied and pasted the details from my booster below.

Your Sky Booster 2's Connection To An Access Point

Status of your wireless network

Wireless Enabled

Wireless Network Name (SSID)

Wireless Network Visible Yes

Current Wireless Channel 1 (2.4 GHz), 36 (5 GHz)

Wireless Encryption WPA2-PSK

If you go to the Booster 2's menu and click on "Advanced" (Username = admin Password = sky ) you can set different passwords for 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz networks.

Ya bloody right mate ha ha !!!

Just had a play about with a booster in a couple of different routers. didn't even know you could access the set up page using Boosters IP address.