Options

Homeland on Ch4 (UK Pace) - No Spoilers! (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »

nasir seemed to give up damm easily as well, almost as if it was part of a plan...

Just watched on catch up and this was the first thing that struck me when he was kneeling there almost smiling.

Reaching into his jacket seemed quite deliberate too, so perhaps he was just smiling because he felt he had made his peace and was ready to die, but I can't help thinking that this is part of some bigger plan and that is why he looked so serene.
  • Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate53 wrote: »
    Throwing something into the mix for next season -Clare Danes is heavily pregnant and still filming , think this could be put into the script - pregnant with Brodies child.......

The pregnancy was never going to be a factor in this series. It's been reported numerous times even by Ms. Danes herself.

Claire Danes and the rest of the cast have finished filming for this season. Filming for Season 3 will begin in June 2013 according to David Harewood. CD will have had her baby well before then.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with last two episodes.

Thank God they found Nazir. For awhile I thought this series was going up like The Fugitive, with Carrie chasing Nazir and Nazir always getting away...

Why wasn't Carrie offered any medical attention after her ordeal? She'd been in a car crash, abducted and beaten by Nazir, beaten again and none of her employers seemed to care - apart from Quinn.
    Estes is the worst. I hope things turn around for Saul - he stays and Estes is removed.

Brody's family are spoilt and boring....Glad it's the final episode next week.
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, after the last few eps I'm getting pretty dissilutioned. I was with S1 and the first half of S2, but something's gone badly wrong.

The giveaway was the music. Earlier in this series I was praising it for its restraint. You barely noticed it (indeed it was often absent completely), yet when it was there it was original, avoided cliche and it did it's job brilliantly. The score during the underground chase this week was absolutely by the numbers, exactly what any jobbing TV composer would score. Big percussion. Yawn.

And that's a microcosm of the whole thing. Everything got big, cliched and unbelievable. The arc of Carrie's character this season has been pushed too far. The air of reality and believability has been lost. What a terrible shame.... it was a great series they threw away, presumably in the desire to make it more mainstream.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Just been looking back over some episodes and noticed some odd things. Dar Ardal - there must be more to him than that chat with Saul - the whole Saul too soft thing suggests he may have an agenda to make the CIA all hard (unfortunate expression perhaps but you know what I mean ...). This may give Quinn a reason not to kill Brody as Brody being found to have been a terrorist would suit Dar Ardal's intentions. I suspect Quinn is more loyal to Dar Ardal then Estes. Also before the CIA knew Roya was the contact two others (the dark-skinned!) were suspected also (ep 4) - the car wash guy and the taxi driver - maybe not just Roya was involved especially as the car wash guy was played for kinda odd comic value (blood / mud splatter etc and all the choosing scents to cover the smell in the car from the tailor smoking - too much investment for merely a background character; Rashid - even his name was mentioned by Brodys secretary later "from Constitutional Wash"- more fun there and Saul mentioned Rashid Fadl twice more - and both he and the taxi-driver went to the same YMCA. A Johan Icard was on the pinboard but not mentioned by Saul - perhaps lost in the edit while the other one or two will prove to be relevant so left in. Too many small details all lovingly placed to seem insignificant always catch my attention - well least on second viewing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Just a warning, don't read the comments to the current Homeland article, there is a massive spoiler in the first one which I saw by accident :mad:

No more speculation from me until the finale is over.
  • Options
    Chappers67Chappers67 Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Just watched on catch up and this was the first thing that struck me when he was kneeling there almost smiling.

Reaching into his jacket seemed quite deliberate too, so perhaps he was just smiling because he felt he had made his peace and was ready to die, but I can't help thinking that this is part of some bigger plan and that is why he looked so serene.

Indeed, that was designed to get him shot....martyrdom and all that...

He's definitely managed to put some sort of plan in motion, that he feels can't be stopped, and therefor his death is either irrelevant or, it acts as a means to get the CIA to take their eye off the ball. Maybe now, "the mole" will step forward....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been looking back over some episodes and noticed some odd things. Dar Ardal - there must be more to him than that chat with Saul - the whole Saul too soft thing suggests he may have an agenda to make the CIA all hard (unfortunate expression perhaps but you know what I mean ...). This may give Quinn a reason not to kill Brody as Brody being found to have been a terrorist would suit Dar Ardal's intentions. I suspect Quinn is more loyal to Dar Ardal then Estes. Also before the CIA knew Roya was the contact two others (the dark-skinned!) were suspected also (ep 4) - the car wash guy and the taxi driver - maybe not just Roya was involved especially as the car wash guy was played for kinda odd comic value (blood / mud splatter etc and all the choosing scents to cover the smell in the car from the tailor smoking - too much investment for merely a background character; Rashid - even his name was mentioned by Brodys secretary later "from Constitutional Wash"- more fun there and Saul mentioned Rashid Fadl twice more - and both he and the taxi-driver went to the same YMCA. A Johan Icard was on the pinboard but not mentioned by Saul - perhaps lost in the edit while the other one or two will prove to be relevant so left in. Too many small details all lovingly placed to seem insignificant always catch my attention - well least on second viewing.

The only way I can see things continuing next season is if Estes is discovered organising the assasination of Brody. Dar Ardal denies knowledge and Quinn disappears. That way Saul and Carrie and be brought back into the fold. How deniable Brody is a terrorist I'm not sure but it doesn't rule out keeping him in play if Nasir is part of a larger network. Nasir wouldn't risk being in America and getting so 'hands on' if he were at the top of the network. The terrorist network would probably know Brody facilitated the death of the Veep and could still consider him an asset. It woud just mean deceit from Carrie to keep him as a CIA asset.

I don't think Nasir gave up easily, I'm pretty sure he knew he was cornered and had no way out. We all know he's a fanatical Muslim so why wouldn't he be happy to become a Martyr. He was probably thinking about the Virgins he was about to receive.
  • Options
    NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In this age of fibre optic broadband you guys are still discussing the 2nd last episode???
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Nansbread wrote: »
    In this age of fibre optic broadband you guys are still discussing the 2nd last episode???

Some people just prefer to watch on C4 rather than download it from a pirate site.

A week is really not that much to wait for and there hasn't been much that would make want me download it.
  • Options
    NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people just prefer to watch on C4 rather than download it from a pirate site.

A week is really not that much to wait for and there hasn't been much that would make want me download it.

Its Homeland. There has not been much???:eek:
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like to watch TV shows on a TV!
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same here.

And for certain series watching and following the forum at the same time enhances my viewing. Probably more so for other programmes than Homeland (GBBO & Masterchef come to mind) but even so, still like to watch and discuss.

There have been a few times this series when I have had other commitments and couldn't watch on Sunday evening - I did miss being able to post with the 'gang' as I watched on catch up.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's extremely easy to watch at "US pace" and still watch on a TV...
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Not so easy for some to do that and while confining their comments to UK pace though.
  • Options
    tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kris wrote: »
    Just a warning, don't read the comments to the current Homeland article, there is a massive spoiler in the first one which I saw by accident :mad:

No more speculation from me until the finale is over.

i read it too. :mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    which article in particular?
    The David Estes should have not been published either, really
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    feeVerte wrote: »
    which article in particular?
    The David Estes should have not been published either, really

The one about the tone of the third series...I guess I should have expected spoilers really :o
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everyone has fibre optic broadband. In the UK or here in France. Download speeds in rural Wiltshire rarely get above 1mb and in the evenings / weekends it's closer to .5mb and there's no chance of fibre optic connections. Last time I downloaded a 15 minute movie clip, it took about an hour. Even if I did have a fast connection, I really doubt I'd spend time downloading something I can watch in a few days or weeks anyway.

But I don't understand why some posters feel they must excitedly tell us that they are an episode or two ahead of the UK transmission of some series or other. And...? What do they get out of posting that? Does it feed their ego in some odd way? Do they think they're indicating that they're part of some technological elite just because they're watching something ahead of others? Strange.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Its Homeland. There has not been much???:eek:

Compared to other shows I've watched it's been a snooze inducing show. The likes if Dana's continual teen strop and even more pointless romance was just like watching paint dry. I really hope next series they just stick to the plot rather than make documentary about his rather pointless family.

It will probably be a show where the first season is the best and following ones just pale in comparison.
  • Options
    CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it a lull before the storm episode?
    I think the finale might be a shocker, leaving us on edge ...hoping so anyway !;)
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i read it too. :mad::mad::mad:

Unfortunately I read it too.
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casmana wrote: »
    Was it a lull before the storm episode?

That's part of my problem with how Homeland has gone recently though. In the last episode, Abu Nazir was found and killed. In theory, that's the climax of the entire series - the Big Bad has been found. Yet it felt "meh". Regardless of what is to come, that's a fail.

The reasons as to why it felt "meh" are quite complex, but the broad summary is that it's not been very good drama. When events become increasingly unbelievable and character motivations cease to make sense, then the first casualty is folks caring. It's possible to care deeply over the smallest, tiniest details - if you are invested in the drama.

The production values have been disappointing too. I think subliminally if people here a stock-sounding score over a chase scene, they think "yeah, seen it all before". If the score is doing something more unusual (and this goes for edtiting, lighting, sound design - the whole effect) than you're more likely to be on edge, it'll feel less by-the-numbers. Much like the first series, and start of the second, actually.
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was there some reason that Carrie didn't have a gun ?

She's not an agent any more.

She wears a visitors badge when at headquarters. Although that makes it a bit odd that she's allowed to wander into an interrogation room and start asking questions.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SXTony wrote: »
    She's not an agent any more.

She wears a visitors badge when at headquarters. Although that makes it a bit odd that she's allowed to wander into an interrogation room and start asking questions.

Yes, you would've thought the door would be locked.