PSN Titsup?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair it was only 24 hours. It wasn't like the christmas thing on live a few years back or the RROD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair it was only 24 hours. It wasn't like the christmas thing on live a few years back or the RROD.

Exactly, and it was fixed very quickly for the PS3's first major outage. All this coming from a company that isn't really a software company, I think they did well in getting it sorted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I agree - in the end it was only 1 day - but nobody knew that until midnight today.

The problem in a fundamental flaw in the coding of the hardware, not like the Xbxo Live issue, which was a network issue.

When I tried Fallout 3 yesterday, it played okay, but saving it caused an issue when I tried again this morning - luckily messing around with a previous gamesave meant I hadn't lost too much.
  • grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    Cookie Jar wrote: »
    Exactly, and it was fixed very quickly for the PS3's first major outage. All this coming from a company that isn't really a software company, I think they did well in getting it sorted.

LOL. They didnt sort it. The console fixed itself. :p

Also, it depends where you are looking at it from. Theoretically, the whole process lasted about 2 days, because people were reporting it on Feb 28th.
    pottsyuk wrote: »
    The problem in a fundamental flaw in the coding of the hardware, not like the Xbxo Live issue, which was a network issue.

The Live issue, IIRC, was due to high demand, or something. They just werent expecting to sell that many consoles that would be connected to live over Christmas, which I found quite hilarious, especially in this day and age where a video game is the top of any person's Christmas List, young and old, male and female.
  • chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grabbi wrote: »
    PSN is free. You dont deserve any compensation for something you havent paid for!

You pay for your console, thats it. You dont pay for PSN.

I think that's what people are arguing about. People offline, never connected to the internet, and never even used PSN, found they couldn't play their games for 24 hours.

In my opinion, so what. I watched TV instead.
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member

Also, it depends where you are looking at it from. Theoretically, the whole process lasted about 2 days, because people were reporting it on Feb 28th.

The process would have actually lasted for 10 years if Sony's 'Time Machine' firmware plans would have gone according to plan :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was obviously a bug and the fact that trophies are so tightly controlled didn't help but if you wanted to use the net/blu ray on it you were fine. I played mirrors edge lol and that didn't crash during it.
    Forum Member
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    I think that's what people are arguing about. People offline, never connected to the internet, and never even used PSN, found they couldn't play their games for 24 hours.

In my opinion, so what. I watched TV instead.

Thats just it. If push came to shove, Sony would have to replace all consoles. Or bring them all in for repair. In hindsight, its a massive relief for Sony that it was such a basic error that rectified itself. It could have been so much worse, and I think Sony are still feeling the butterflies in the stomach and cleaning the crap from their knickers.

This had the potential to be the biggest thing to affect any console ever. Sony got lucky, IMO.
    Forum Member
    Thats just it. If push came to shove, Sony would have to replace all consoles. Or bring them all in for repair. In hindsight, its a massive relief for Sony that it was such a basic error that rectified itself. It could have been so much worse, and I think Sony are still feeling the butterflies in the stomach and cleaning the crap from their knickers.

This had the potential to be the biggest thing to affect any console ever. Sony got lucky, IMO.

I agree, Sony were extremley lucky considering. I bet there were a fair few severe nail biting Sony employees and bosses prior to 12.00am last night. Heaven knows what would have happened if we had another day like yesterday. It's doesn't bare thinking about :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think so to be honest as it was pretty obvious what the problem was due to the date, someone will probably be fired but there wouldn't be too much panic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pottsyuk wrote: »
    But it wasn't just PSN - that isn't the issue. We are all thoroughly annoyed that we couldn't use our consoles to play games, all due to a fault in the machine. Offline was just as much an issue as online
    Not all of us !! Infact your probably in the minority in that respect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT@home wrote: »
    Not all of us !! Infact your probably in the minority in that respect.

Its 24 hours! with the working week and normal sleeping patterns you could get max 7-8 hours gametime lost.

Jeez lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol you know what I mean ;)

It happened, I think in a short amount of time. Sony kept people up to date and now its more or less back up and running. Im sure there will be patch for it at some point to stop this happening again, because if it does happen again, Sony won't be so lucky.

I think also if this had happened to the Xbox 360, people would be kicking up so much more than they have because of the subscription.

From the majority of people I've talked about it with and from what I've heard, people are mainly just saying it was something that just happens, and are glad its fixed.

Not being able to play Heavy Rain was probably the worst bit!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cookie Jar wrote: »
    lol you know what I mean ;)

It happened, I think in a short amount of time. Sony kept people up to date and now its more or less back up and running. Im sure there will be patch for it at some point to stop this happening again, because if it does happen again, Sony won't be so lucky.

I think also if this had happened to the Xbox 360, people would be kicking up so much more than they have because of the subscription.

From the majority of people I've talked about it with and from what I've heard, people are mainly just saying it was something that just happens, and are glad its fixed.

Not being able to play Heavy Rain was probably the worst bit!

Definetly I need to complete this game the story is gripping. The mrs and my mate were all watching me playing and he was like this is so tense!
    Forum Member
    Sony have issued a step by step guide to getting any lost trophy data back, pretty straight forward stuff really...

'It is possible that some users who experienced the connection problems yesterday and tried unsuccessfully to access a game (online or offline) may find that trophy data for that title is no longer displayed.

'To resolve this issue, the user will need to re-access the game to reinstall the trophies, then exit the game and sync their trophy collection to the server in order to regain previous achievements.'

Sony have also said that if you tried to play any PSN games yesterday and recieved an error message, then chances are you will have to re-download the games from the Playstation Store...

'Ok so the bug is over and we can now all go back online. There are some issues though:

1) If you tried to run any HDD games (Wipeoute HD, PS1 games, etc) these will probably need to be deleted and downloaded again. I tried running Street Fighter Alpha yesterday, and got the bug. I tried running it today and it wouldn't load but everything I didn't try yesterday works fine.

2) Those trophies you lost don't come back. But you still have them on the PSN, but a re-sync doesn't get them back. However [compare] trophies with a friend and you'll see them even though they don't appear on your system.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=237230

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its 24 hours! with the working week and normal sleeping patterns you could get max 7-8 hours gametime lost.

Jeez lol
    any particular reason for quoting me with the rant ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    TBH i think its quite funny sony got the millenium bug 10 years late! and seein all the phatties complaining has been quite funny too plus it brought us all together even if for only 24hours i dont think iv seen the forum as active as it was yesterday!

every cloud has a silver lining :cool: :D
    Forum Member
    TBH i think its quite funny sony got the millenium bug 10 years late! and seein all the phatties complaining has been quite funny too plus it brought us all together even if for only 24hours i dont think iv seen the forum as active as it was yesterday!

every cloud has a silver lining :cool: :D

I noticed yesterday whenever I posted in this forum, there was at least 1 or 2 new posts by the time I had posted my comments, lol :D

Looking back I can now see the funny side of it though and thankfully no real damage was done. I'm just happy to have my PS3 working again :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    STEVE 03 wrote: »
    I'm just happy to have my PS3 working again :)

exactly thats the way we should all feel not seeking compensation but simply seeing the funny side and being glad that our phat consoles live on! ;)
  • lawrenma2lawrenma2 Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mrs was delighted last night. I actually said "there are network problems with Playstation tonight so that means we can have a conversation", unfortunately for me the conversations were mostly about financial planning and our future! Zzzzz
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    I am going to ask Sony for a free game because of the outrageous inconvenience.
    Forum Member
    lawrenma2 wrote: »
    My mrs was delighted last night. I actually said "there are network problems with Playstation tonight so that means we can have a conversation", unfortunately for me the conversations were mostly about financial planning and our future! Zzzzz

Id have put something in her Gob. :D
    Forum Member
    MojoMaster wrote: »
    I am going to ask Sony for a free game because of the outrageous inconvenience.

:rolleyes:

Dont come in saying they said no, because I, along with many, will laugh at you.

Just deal with it and move on. You lost a few hours game-time. Wow.

Live was down for days, and we paid for that sh*t in 2007. We dealt with it, and moved on. I suggest you do the same, before it eats you from the inside out, and you can no longer pick up a console control pad without that nauseating feeling of March 1st, 2010 coming back to haunt you over and over again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the posts in this thread around 11.30 last night were pure DS magic! :D
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    Well Sony have refused to give me a free game, I think that's absolutely outrageous!