Options

Replacing carpet in VERY crowded room!

susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The carpet in our main living room really needs to be replaced, and I'd love to have it done. Only problem is that "living" is the operative word here - there's a lot of furniture, and books and stuff on the floor, and it wouldn't be easy to move it anywhere else in the house, as this is the largest room. I've vaguely thought of actually involving a removal company, getting them to pack the stuff up and take the lot to one of these storage places for a week while the carpet is laid. Has anyone had any experience of doing this? The room really needs to be cleared properly before anything can be done.

Comments

• Options
    hanndavhanndav Posts: 2,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iwould try and move as much stuff as you can manage over a few days. Then, if you can't get help to move the big stuff, call in a moving company let them move it into the van whilst the carpet gets fitted then they just need to return everything.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    there's a lot of furniture, and books and stuff on the floor,

Furniture I can understand. "Books and stuff" belong on shelves and in cupboards, not on the floor.
  • Options
    Snake_EaterSnake_Eater Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really most stuff you should be able to take out your self. The larger furniture can be moved to one side of the room, and once half the carpet has been laid down, it can be moved to the other side so the other half can be finishied.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    It probably takes only about an hour to lay a carpet. Could you not just shift the stuff into another room or hallway for that length of time.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really most stuff you should be able to take out your self. The larger furniture can be moved to one side of the room, and once half the carpet has been laid down, it can be moved to the other side so the other half can be finishied.

Most carpet fitters require the entire room to be empty what you suggest is possible but not if you are paying to have it fitted (oddly).
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    The carpet in our main living room really needs to be replaced, and I'd love to have it done. Only problem is that "living" is the operative word here - there's a lot of furniture, and books and stuff on the floor, and it wouldn't be easy to move it anywhere else in the house, as this is the largest room. I've vaguely thought of actually involving a removal company, getting them to pack the stuff up and take the lot to one of these storage places for a week while the carpet is laid. Has anyone had any experience of doing this? The room really needs to be cleared properly before anything can be done.

You need to clear the area and it should be possible to move the room contents to another part of the house on a temporary basis.

Frankly, I don't really see the problem.

When you've got a house full of tenants and therefore limited space to move things, then I could understand.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Furniture I can understand. "Books and stuff" belong on shelves and in cupboards, not on the floor.

When I want your advice on how I keep my house, I'll ask for it. Thank you to everyone else for their suggestions.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, not much in the way of advice, but I do empathise, having gone through the same thing a couple of years back. I'm a clutter magnet, live in a one-bed flat and my living room is also my office, tv room and place for crafting, etc. As I was on my own, it took me nearly a full day to pack stuff up, move and stack it in the bedroom, kitchen, hallway and bathroom (lol) so the carpet fitters could do their job. Having said that, I had to leave a couple of the heaviest objects in the room, but the carpet fitters, seeing how tiny I was (it does have its perks!), took pity on me and manouvred them around for no extra charge! Good luck and may the force be with you!
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Most carpet fitters require the entire room to be empty what you suggest is possible but not if you are paying to have it fitted (oddly).

This may be true for contract fitters employed by the likes of Carpet Right etc., but it certainly isn't the case for "proper" tradesmen.

I have a self-employed friend who has been supplying and fitting carpets for 40 years (including all of mine in two houses), and he has no problem at all with furnished rooms - he simply shuffles the furniture around. Even large bookcases (for example) present no problem - he uses silicone gliders to move them with seemingly little effort.

As is the case with most competent tradesmen, he makes it look simple, even though it's far from it.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    This may be true for contract fitters employed by the likes of Carpet Right etc., but it certainly isn't the case for "proper" tradesmen.

I have a self-employed friend who has been supplying and fitting carpets for 40 years (including all of mine in two houses), and he has no problem at all with furnished rooms - he simply shuffles the furniture around. Even large bookcases (for example) present no problem - he uses silicone gliders to move them with seemingly little effort.

As is the case with most competent tradesmen, he makes it look simple, even though it's far from it.
    I didn't know that, that's good to hear as i'm thinking of having my place re-carpeted. i had it done when i moved but the furniture wasn't there then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »

When I had the bedroom re-carpeted (by Carpet Right or one of the other biggish firms) I had to leave the pine bed frame in the room as it was too big a job to dismantle the entire thing for a couple of hours then put it back together. The fitters were fine about it and just moved it onto a fitted part of the room as they worked their way across.

You may well get away with leaving one or two items of furniture in there as long as it's easy for them to fit half the room, move the items, then do the other half.

Putting things in storage for a week for the sake of a job that will take a couple of hours seems a bit of a dramatic solution to a small problem. Can't you just stuff them in various places throughout the house for a day?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    I've always thought that all carpet fitters insist on an empty room so it's useful to know that this isn't always the case. When you think of it there must be lots of elderly or disabled people who would be unable to move heavy items....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had to empty our whole (massive) through lounge last year to have half the floor replaced, the plaster chopped out and replastered, all new skirting board, decorated throughout (including the open staircase and the landing) and then new carpets.

I won't admit it was easy, but we found a place for most stuff. The only things we just couldn't move were the dining table and two parts of the sofa, they were upturned and put on the dining table, and then covered up with dustsheets.

Everything survived the work, which took about three weeks. When the carpet fitters came, they helped OH move the dining table and parts of the sofa onto the drive, fitted the carpet then put it all back.

It really doesn't take long to fit a carpet. All I can advise is you box up all of the books and put them upstairs/in another room, you move everything you can out and you may find the carpet fitters willing to work round some large pieces of furniture (though they won't books and piles of things on the floor).

I've also had a through lounge carpeted at my old house and some furniture had to be moved from one end to another as they worked, they didn't mind.

You may also find this gives you a chance to de-clutter and also put up some shelves for your books/put away what you don't need.

Good luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I want your advice on how I keep my house, I'll ask for it. Thank you to everyone else for their suggestions.
    Well said. "Books and stuff" belong where I put them. That might be a shelf or a cupboard, but it might also be on the floor next to a bed/chair, on a windowsill, on a worktop in the kitchen - I've even got a couple of books on top of the fridge and there are some on the bathroom floor piled up next to the radiator. :D

topaz10 wrote: »
    I've always thought that all carpet fitters insist on an empty room so it's useful to know that this isn't always the case. When you think of it there must be lots of elderly or disabled people who would be unable to move heavy items....
    That's what my cousin found. She had an emergency operation just after she'd made arrangements to have her new lounge carpet fitted. There was no way she could have moved everything, so she let the company know well in advance and the fitters were fine about it. They popped round on their way home the day before they actually started on the carpet to see what needed to be moved and what could stay, and moved as much as possible in under an hour. The next day they came back to do the actually fitting, and put everything back in place afterwards. I think as long as they know in advance rather than turn up expecting a cleared room only to find a full one, I think most decent fitters would be fine. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you move as much as possible and empty any bookcases, units, etc. so they can be lifted easily you should be fine. Iit would be unrealistic of them to think you are going to be able to empty the room totally, just make it as easy as possible for them. If you stay around and help shift everything even better, when I had a carpet fitted a little while ago the fitter was saying some people don't move anything. To the point of leaving a unit filled with fragile ornaments for him to lift over the carpet!
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you use Room 2 Spare?
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About to do my bedroom - bung everything into bin bags and stick it outside for the day.
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a tiny house and a huge sofa, DFS actually made a whole in the wall and broke the door frame getting it in, so its not going out again without being chopped in half, also we have furniture that had to be put together once in place in the room..so apart from the fact that we have nowhere else to put it. it won't go out of the door

We've had new flooring a couple of times recently, as we've had couple of radiator leaks, and each time all the fitters have asked is that we empty the furniture out and move it to one side of the room before they get there.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine just went with carpet tiles (luxury ones not office grade, to be fair) for this reason, as it meant he could do the majority of the room and then sort out all the bits where stuff was still standing one at a time. It looks alright actually. I am tempted to do the same!
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Any chance of moving it all to one side then to them other?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They always say that the room needs to be totally cleared but we have had the whole house carpeted twice when we've moved into uncarpeted houses. We just put a lot of small things in the kitchen and made sure the furniture left wasn't too heavy to move and they managed. I always made sure there was a strong man around in case they wanted us to do the moving of furniture but both times they said it wasn't necessary. I gave them a £20 tip afterwards which I'm sure helps keep them sweet for the next customer.

Explain the problem to a fitter, some may say "no" outright but if you can probably come to an agreement with an extra payment and say you'll be there to move the furniture for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    i bribed my mate with pizza to help me. he was cursing the fact i have a large glass coffee table in the front room and a suite that ways probably the same amount as the house (its one of those huge 4 seater sofas)

carpet place just said move the sofa to one end of the room and they will put it back when they are done