Options

Adopting a rescue dog...IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    cosmo wrote: »
    The main reason they stipulate this isn't because they think the dog might be nasty to the child - it's because they feel that particular dog needs consistent rules and boundaries in place from everyone in the house for the whole family and the dog to be happy. It's very often harder to achieve that with younger kids as they might nurture bad habits.

I really dont think those dogs should be rehomed at all then, as they will always come into contact with children out and about. Every single dog they had on our visits dais unsuitable for children,if that is so, then the dogs should either stay in a rescue centre or perhaps be PTS if it is that bad.

Its a real shame that every dog missed out on us giving them a home because of an apparent lack of trust in them. It also seems that they only take 'problem' dogs, perhaps imstead of making posh adverts, the dogs trust should use money on dog trainers................
  • Options
    aligailaligail Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Many Tears do NOT only rehome dogs to homes that already have a dog as you have said above - this rule only applies to ex breeding dogs that they are trying to rehome - because ex breeders have usually never lived in a house before and they feel that having a dog already will help them adapt and settle in more quickly.
    Have you looked in your local paper? My lovely dog was free to good home in the paper advertised by someone who was working long hours and felt they couldn't look after him properly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend was looking at various rescue centres to adopt another dog, as she has lost two of her three dogs this year, just had a yorkie left. Long story short, she ended up looking in her local pet shop notice board and saw someone wanting a "good home" for a Dalmation X, and she's now had her for about three months, and is gorgeous.

Don't give up, there's often notices around here in shops, or Pre-loved as already suggested, or AdTrader.

And I lost my dog (PTS) on March 5th this year, and I got another pup before the month was out, my life was so empty for three weeks. She can never replace my other dog, and this will still be a sad Christmas without her, the first in 10 years, and I will never forget her, but the pain is eased so much with my new pup, now 11 months old, and I love her to bits. I'm glad I didn't wait too long.
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I really dont think those dogs should be rehomed at all then, as they will always come into contact with children out and about. Every single dog they had on our visits dais unsuitable for children,if that is so, then the dogs should either stay in a rescue centre or perhaps be PTS if it is that bad.

Its a real shame that every dog missed out on us giving them a home because of an apparent lack of trust in them. It also seems that they only take 'problem' dogs, perhaps instead of making posh adverts, the dogs trust should use money on dog trainers................

My dog was unsuitable to be homed with young children because he had been found wandering the streets and nobody could be sure of his history with regards to children

Also he was terribly nervous of everyone and needed very gentle handling until his confidence grew, which would have been difficult with a young, excited child in the home.

As it was, it did turn out, after the initial "honeymoon" period, he did have some behavioural issues, some of which the kind people here helped me to sort out, and some of which I employed a behaviourist to help me with.

Now he is well trained and well behaved, if a little feisty in the typical Yorkshire terrier way..I still would not trust him unsupervised with a small child, as I wouldn't any dog...but he is fine encountering them out on his walks, and now even welcomes gently pats and being fed treats by them.

I would dread to think what may have happened had he been re-homed in a family with young children, but there was no need to have him PTS, he just needed the right home with people who understood the issues and were willing and able to work with him. :)
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with other posters about looking for a private re-homing option. We re-homed an 8-month old terrier through Preloved a few years ago. We paid for him and he had no problems at all. Many people advertise on preloved who are desperate to re-home their pet for one reason or another.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosemary wrote: »
    My dog was unsuitable to be homed with young children because he had been found wandering the streets and nobody could be sure of his history with regards to children

Also he was terribly nervous of everyone and needed very gentle handling until his confidence grew, which would have been difficult with a young, excited child in the home.

As it was, it did turn out, after the initial "honeymoon" period, he did have some behavioural issues, some of which the kind people here helped me to sort out, and some of which I employed a behaviourist to help me with.

Now he is well trained and well behaved, if a little feisty in the typical Yorkshire terrier way..I still would not trust him unsupervised with a small child, as I wouldn't any dog...but he is fine encountering them out on his walks, and now even welcomes gently pats and being fed treats by them.

I would dread to think what may have happened had he been re-homed in a family with young children, but there was no need to have him PTS, he just needed the right home with people who understood the issues and were willing and able to work with him. :)

Duncan still hates children and I don't blame him as I am not fond of them either PTS is a drastic answer to his problems when there are homes like us where we can happily keep him away from kids anyway.
  • Options
    leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try the Greyhound rescue, they may have a suitable greyhound, some have separation anxiety and can't be left but others are very well adjusted and happily snooze away all day. I don't think our local one fusses as much as other rescues.
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Duncan still hates children and I don't blame him as I am not fond of them either PTS is a drastic answer to his problems when there are homes like us where we can happily keep him away from kids anyway.

we've had our jake from a puppy and he is very nervous of children

many dogs are - they move quickly are unpredictable and loud
    I'd be nervous if i was the height of a dog and one ran up to me

he's never shown aggression towards a child though, and will chase toys they throw and take them back (albeit giving said little 'un a wide berth)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the amount of unwanted dogs in the UK, you should have no problem finding a dog to adopt.

Im sorry that you are frustrated in your initial attempts at adopting.

Could I suggest that instead of being angry at rescues for not seeing that a dog would still have a great home with you if they changed some of their adoption criteria, that you look differently at this.

You could:

help rescues, by offering emergency fostering for some weeks/ months for their death row dogs.

adopt a preloved dog from the free ads, with research

you could consider fostering or adopting for Oldies, who try and find homes for dogs aged 7+ and upwards

you could consider adopting a pair of dogs, who are harder to find places for, and who would have company throughout the day.

Its upsetting losing a beloved pet and I am so sorry for your loss. Maybe these initial obstacles are being sent, to push you in the direction of something else i.e. fostering, older dog or a pair.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I would never try to adopt a dog from a shelter again. The awful woman I spoke to asked me if I had a six foot fence surrounding my garden. When I said no I was told I would not be able to adopt a dog from them. I explained that the dog would not be turned loose into the garden anyway, that I believed dogs needed proper walks and that I lived 3 mins away from miles of open countryside. None of that mattered. So like others have mentioned I kept a lookout for dogs needing homes on my local pet shop notice board. Eventually I came across Spike, and he's been living with us very happily for the last 6 years.
  • Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We live in a flat and no rescue nearby would even consider us. We ended up buying a puppy instead. Despite the fact that I only work part time and my husband works shifts and it's not often that we are at work at the same time, and only then for a few hours, no-one would even entertain the idea. One of them came back with "have you considered a cat?" which annoyed me (perhaps irrationally!).
    We considered a greyhound and contacted some rescues, some of which seemed very dodgy, as the poster above mentioned one of them was just going to bring a dog round with a bed and a bowl without us meeting anyone or the dog, but some of them seemed much more helpful.

I find it surprising that some rescues won't even rehome cats to people that work. Most cats I've ever known could not care less if anyone was in or not, as long as they are warm and fed.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the 'donation' of around £150 is a very good idea. Firstly, if someone can't afford to pay that amount, then they probably can't afford to pay for dog insurance or vets bills along with all the paraphernalia that comes with owning a dog, such as regular flea and worm treatments, dental checks, vaccinations etc. Secondly £150 doesn't even cover the cost of having a dog neutered, which the rescue has usually had to do with most of the dogs it takes in. Thirdly, the fee helps to deter those people who just want a cheap dog. There's already a big problem with staffies being used as status dogs. Someone who doesn't want to go through the hassle of training a puppy might think they could just get an adult dog for free from the rspca.

In regards to the often stringent rules when it comes to adopting a dog. Yes some of the rescues seem to be very inflexible. I for example have a garden but it has a communal path running through it which is accessed by 2 other residents in my block of flats when they want to hang out the washing. We are all obsessive about keeping the gates closed and I never let Baxter out there unnattended anyway. But on paper that would prevent me adopting or fostering. However, if the rescue came to do a home visit I would hope they'd see how it all worked and give me the ok.

I think it's better for a rescue dog to spend a little longer in kennels whilst ensuring it finds the right new home, rather than have it returned a few months later when it all goes wrong. The smaller rescues often have their dogs in foster care in approved homes rather than kennels anyway and very few of them put the animals to sleep simply because they are full.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »

What if he gets away from you and attacks a child though? if he hates children then that is a serious behavioural problem and should be fixed. Rather a dog is put to sleep than a childs face is ripped off.

If a dog has a behavioural problem around a certain type of human, then is MUST be addressed. IMO.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    What if he gets away from you and attacks a child though? if he hates children then that is a serious behavioural problem and should be fixed. Rather a dog is put to sleep than a childs face is ripped off.

If a dog has a behavioural problem around a certain type of human, then is MUST be addressed. IMO.

He will never be in that position and will not attack anyway he is fear aggresive so a child would have to approach him, he, if off lead will run from them not stand and fight.
    None of my dogs have ever "got away" from us in the 27 years I have owned dogs we are extremely careful dog owners.
  • Options
    KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad that I found this thread. I was going to visit my local RSPCA rescue centre today, but decided that it would not be worth it.

I have never owned a dog before, and really wanted to give a home to a animal that needed a second chance, but I dont think they would cansider me as I have no experience.

I think that I may be better off with the freeads.
  • Options
    RowenaObsidianRowenaObsidian Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised to hear so many bad things being said about the RSPCA and other rescue centres here.

My family have adopted cats from the RSPCA previously, from 2 different branches and have had no problems. Just because some people have had difficulties adopting at SOME rescue centres don't assume they're all like that. Even within the RSPCA it can vary from branch to branch how strict they are, so you might just need to try a different rescue centre if you think one is being unfair.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    OP I realise you are upset after the death of your lovely dog, but getting angry with the rescue centres isn't going to change anything. YOU know you are a good dog owner but the rescue centres don't know you from Eve, and they have rules to try to protect the animals. Instead of being angry, why not try to think about a way round it. Maybe if you volunteered your help (e.g. with dog walking) at a local centre you could get to know them and go from there.

And re the donation cost, I too feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall. A couple of us have explained the reason for the costs. If someone cannot afford the initial donation it is probably an indication they cannot afford the long term care of the dog.

I really like reading your posts - you're one of the most sensible people on animal matters that I've come across, and in this case (as in most), I totally agree with you! :)
  • Options
    ivyjaneivyjane Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    i have read all the posts, i would not bother with pet charity, bad experiences not myself, but many friends, rspca + blue cross.
    my uncle wanted a dog. i just typed in free dogs in devon, on the internet,
    came up with a springer. the dog is a lunatic but much loved .
    uncle also has a farm. the people didn't really care just glad he went. the dog certainly has a wonderful life now.
    my uncle is 71 and he keeps him on his toes
    had to laugh he shut him in the kitchen for a moment, when he came back he'd jumped on the table and eaten a whole blackberry and apple pie
    he didn't tell him off, said what was the point it was gone
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely though having a dog means you have to be at home for part of the day to exercise it and interact with it? :confused: Is that the POV the rescue centres are coming from?

Part of the day being the operative phrase. Dogs are creatures of habit and get used to what they get used to.

The only way to get around the ridiculous "no more than three hours" policy of many shelters is to lie.
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are greedy .Bypass them and buy a pup .Someone in my village wanted to give a home to a rescue dog .They are in a big house and arent short of money and are at home all the time but because their front garden didnt have a fence or gates they were turned down , even though their back garden was enclosed .:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    annies1 wrote: »
    I had to come in to have a rant, I lost my beautiful dog 3 weeks ago, I'm devestated and the house is empty without her, rather than get a puppy I thought I would give a rescue dog a home. That is so much easier said than done:mad: I have already been turned down by two rescue centres because me and my hubby work:mad: ....so not only are those who won't work given handouts, it seems if you do nothing all day then you are a better dog owner too !!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I fully understand that rescue dogs probably have behavioural issues one of which may be separation anxiety, but surely other dogs are taken in to rescue centres becuase their owners are old, ill, unable to walk them - there must be some dogs out there who have been owned by people who bloody work???:mad:

I've just looked on another rescue site and they won't home dogs in homes where there isn't another dog i.e. I havent' already got a dog so I cant have one! :mad:Oh yes and they all want around £150 'donation' for the privelege. Am I missing something here?

I've not read all the replies here but wanted to say how disgusted I am with how you have been treated.........They would rather put a dog to sleep than re-home it to working people?????
    I got a rescue dog 27 years ago and just paid a few pounds, he needed so much TLC but turned out to be the best dog ever............He lived to the grand old age of 17.
  • Options
    JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting thread especially as I created a thread a couple of weeks ago regarding our poor experience with our local branch of Dogs Trust!

I have to say that I would whole heartedly recommend our local RSPCA and indeed my previous local centre up in Newcastle. Many years ago I adopted two rabbits through them and they were most helpful and the whole process was painless.

This time we visited them with regards to finding a dog and to our greatest surprise found one who suited our family and lifestyle perfectly. In fact, they guided us to her. They were very good and we received a personalised service from start to finish. Extremely efficient, caring and great customer service. The home check was set up within 48 hours which we passed. Obviously we had to give some info about our working hours on the initial application form and because I work very part time during the week and there is always someone else around when I am not, we got through this bit OK. Perhaps they might have been firmer had we said we were out at work a lot.

Even if we had not found our ideal dog I was still very impressed with what I saw at the centre compared to what I had seen at other shelters, but I think that everyones experience will be different. Depends on good or bad days, staffing issues etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's ridiculous that many shelters have these time rules. They're basically saying that only the unemployed, those in part-time employment or those working from home should own dogs. What is the alternative for these dogs? Being in a cage with the prospect of two brief walks a day until your time comes for euthanasia. Is that better than two or more substantial walks a day, the warmth of your own home and constant interaction with your owners all the time that they're there?

WhiteFang wrote: »
    They are greedy .Bypass them and buy a pup .Someone in my village wanted to give a home to a rescue dog .They are in a big house and arent short of money and are at home all the time but because their front garden didnt have a fence or gates they were turned down , even though their back garden was enclosed .:confused:

Yeah, buying a puppy will solve the problem :rolleyes:

It's perfectly reasonable to be turned down for not having a securely fronted property, particularly if you live on anything other than an extremely quiet country lane. Many dogs have been run over as a result of running out of the front of their property.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    The trouble with the RSPCA's policy is it just encourages the puppy farms to produce even more.

TBH it's too easy to get a dog but the rescue centres make it easier for someone to "buy" a dog rather than rescue one.

I bought my dog just over 8 years ago after being turned down for having a full time job.

I now have a very happy, well behaved, well exercised, well trained, chipped, annually vet checked, insured friend, (about who's behaviour I am regularly complemented) who "guards" (with her eyes closed) my house along with her 2 cat pals for the 9 hours per day that I am out.

Not once in 8 years has my being away for 9 hours been a problem. (Except for the rare occasion when I get home early and catch her on my bed).:D

At weekends when I am there, she just sleeps when I'm not entertaining her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I please remind people that each RSPCA branch runs itself. If anyone feels they have had a "bad exerience" at their local branch, please do realize its confined to that branch and not nationwide.

I used to be a critic of the RSPCA. I hadnt realized that each branch has to raise its own funds and runs itself.

Im concerned that we dont condemn a whole organisation. They may not be perfect, but they do rescue and rehome a lot of animals.