Catweazle mispronounciations

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
Forum Member
✭✭✭
To this day I use 'electrickery' and the 'telling bone' (but am getting a bit fed up of explaining to young'uns where those terms come from :rolleyes:). But I realise that I cannot remember any other terms he used. Are there any you can recall?

Comments

• grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watter....
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Watter....
    Was he a Geordie?
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only remembered "electrickery" but also reminded of "watter" in this thread but I also partly recall the song

Magic Secrets , Circle Round
    If power thy seek then must be found
    Look for where the 13 lies
    Then you'll find the one that flies (?)

or something like that. Haven't seen it since the original 70s broadcast. Wasn't there a clock that had 13 numerals or struck 13? Do you remember the full lyrics?
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twelve there are that circle round. If power you seek they must be found. Look for where the thirteenth lies. Mount aloft - the one who flies".

I just found the actual words here. This site has a lot of stuff but i don't like the pop ups so it might not be easy to view. I viewed the Google cache instead:

http://www.catweazle-fan.de/encyclopedia.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watter....

OMG... I remember my younger brother taking up this pronounciation. Thanks :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The series 1 dvd has a reunion documentary of about 15 minutes in which Geoffrey Bayldon and Robin Davies (Carrot) return to the Hexwood Farm location to chat about the making of the show.

The re-released Complete series boxset has an "extended" version of the documentary.
    Does anyone have it and know the running time?
    I'm guessing the extra time will be minimal.

Sad that Robin Davies died last year .
    Who would have expected Catweazle to outlive Carrot , who's father in the show also died within the last year or two - that was Charles Tingwell
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Catweazle especially Geoffrey Bayldon. I thought ''telling bone'' for telephone was amazing.
    I always hoped it would coime back for a 3rd series but it never did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    I loved Catweazle especially Geoffrey Bayldon. I thought ''telling bone'' for telephone was amazing.
    I always hoped it would coime back for a 3rd series but it never did.

Richard Carpenter had intended the series to return to Hexwood Farm for its third series but LWT decided they wanted to make Black Beauty instead for 1972.

Only enough budget for so many kids show made expensively on film rather than studio bound taped series.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's "mispronunciation" not "mispronounciation":rolleyes:
    Teach that to the young 'uns whilst you're at it.