Teeth whitening

2»

Comments

• Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll stick to spending about £3. It does my teeth nicely, although I did last do them years a go.

With the ones I got you boiled the trays and then molded them to your mouth.

Yeah I tried that method and the trays didn't cover my teeth properly.
  • Delta TangoDelta Tango Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    Yeah I tried that method and the trays didn't cover my teeth properly.

That's the only problem.

I still find they work though. As long as the peroxide is in contact with your teeth.

I often just held the tray in place for however long, but it does start to hurt your hand.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can buy the self impression kits online, you take the impression at home, then post them back to the lab and they make the custom fit trays and post them out to you. The carbamide peroxide gel in varying strengths is also available online. Basically cutting out the middleman or in this case the Dentist. I asked my dentist (this was a few years ago) if my teeth could be whitened and he said yes but because I was on benefits at the time, he wasn't allowed to make the trays and prescribe the gel. Altogether it costs approx £100 - £130 depending on the cost and quantity of gel you buy.

I see what you mean.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything to my teeth or body that could potentially be harmful unless it was under the prescription of a medic/dentist. I could afford the three hundred quid so went for it and have no regrets about it. I can understand why people would want to do as you did - it's just not for me. :)

But I can't understand anyone visiting these whitening clinics where you're seen and treated by someone who is not a qualified dentist.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Simon's teeth are very white and unnatural looking.

I doubt very much they are teeth, but you are looking at veneers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    I doubt very much they are teeth, but you are looking at veneers

Very false looking veneers.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why anyone would go to a dentist and spent hundreds when you can get exactly the same stuff (caramide ? peroxide) and the trays from Ebay for less than £10.

When I use to buy them it cost me about £3. £3 to whiten your teeth, when if you went to the dentist they'd charge you hundreds. The only difference at the dentist is that you get a custom mold.

Why bother with a dentist when you need a filling? Use a dentist drill kit from china and save yourself a small fortune.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter is getting her brace off soon and wants her teeth whitened but I noticed the zoom whitening costs about £400! I want her to get it done at a dentist but do the cheaper options work as well?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter is getting her brace off soon and wants her teeth whitened but I noticed the zoom whitening costs about £400! I want her to get it done at a dentist but do the cheaper options work as well?

Custom fit tray based whitening that I mentioned earlier in the thread might be a better option for your daughter.

This video tutorial on YouTube explains how to take dental impressions (if she feels confident to do it herself)

You can then buy the whitening gel (the exact same gel that dentists prescribe) from various sites online. Depending on the severity of the staining, the formulations can go as high as 35%
    For your daughter though, 15 or 20% should be adequate.I personally have used Opalescence PF many times and I think it's one of the best whitening gels available and is very popular with Dentist's.

The results are not instantaneous and it does require discipline. With the 10 and 15% formula's, you can wear the trays overnight. With the 20% formula (up to 4 hours) and with the 35% (up to one hour)

The best results are achieved after wearing them for the stated duration for two weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I think white teeth look unnatural. Like excessive skin tan and dyed hair in older people. I prefer the natural look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    No. I think white teeth look unnatural. Like excessive skin tan and dyed hair in older people. I prefer the natural look.

I think it can look unnatural if you take it up too many shades. In my daughters case, she has always had quite yellowy teeth and just wants them lifted to a more natural white.
  • RayofLightRayofLight Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on day two of using 22% I got from eBay, with a tray I bought from there too... On Tuesday I'm getting custom trays and 16% gel from the dentist, but I couldn't be arsed waiting LOL.

I can see a slight difference already :)
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never found any of the at-home UK brands to be very impressive.

The US version of Crest Whitestrips (which you can get on eBay) are cheap and excellent, and as impressive as an in-dentist session, and 1/4 of the price.

It does make you worry why they're illegal to sell in the UK though....
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never whitened mine, don't think I'd try it either. I'm old fashioned though, not like all the pretty boys nowadays. I don't go on the sunbeds, no waxing, no eyebrow plucking, no hair styling. I'm just me, but apparently, that's not what the opposite sex wants nowadays haha!
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    I've never found any of the at-home UK brands to be very impressive.

The US version of Crest Whitestrips (which you can get on eBay) are cheap and excellent, and as impressive as an in-dentist session, and 1/4 of the price.

It does make you worry why they're illegal to sell in the UK though....

I used them when I was bridesmaid at a wedding and wanted to have a dazzling smile in the wedding pics! I was impressed, they were very good.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why anyone would go to a dentist and spent hundreds when you can get exactly the same stuff (caramide ? peroxide) and the trays from Ebay for less than £10.

When I use to buy them it cost me about £3. £3 to whiten your teeth, when if you went to the dentist they'd charge you hundreds. The only difference at the dentist is that you get a custom mold.

Possibly because some find the drip of the solution in the throat irritating. The office visit is over in an hour. It's more expensive and supposedly more likely to cause pain complaints. Bleaching doesn't really do between the teeth, if you are a tea drinker.