Cost of Windows 10

poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I run an Acer 6930 Laptop with Windows Vista.

The cost of the new Windows 10 is £99, but I can get a genuine copy of Windows 7 from Amazon for about £60.

Am I right in thinking I could buy Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 10 for free?

Comments

• KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    In theory, yes. But obviously yesterday was the first chance anyone would have had to try it out with the release code. Google a bit and maybe you'll find some blogger who did. Or see if someone on social media has tried.

It looks from the specs like the Acer 6930 has a dual core processor and 4GB of RAM. But I know submodels might differ. If YOURS has those specs you should be fine.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppasmurf wrote: »

The cost of the new Windows 10 is £99, but I can get a genuine copy of Windows 7 from Amazon for about £60.

Am I right in thinking I could buy Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 10 for free?

Yes, you could buy Windows 7 or 8 and upgrade.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppasmurf wrote: »

Are you sure the W7 is a retail not an upgrade licence.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Are you sure the W7 is a retail not an upgrade licence.

It doesn't matter if the OP is upgrading from Vista.
  • DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought an OEM refurbished license for Windows 7 Pro for £25 a couple of months ago

Here you go

http://itrevive.co.uk/windows-7-professional-license-key.html?gclid=CJyN_aGAg8cCFSvItAod8NEMkQ
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    I would search the Net a bit though before bothering to make sure nobody is having problems upgrading from this model. I know I've heard the name "Acer" and "won't upgrade" quite a few times in the past day. Of course there are dozens, maybe hundreds of different Acer models though, so don't take that to mean yours won't. Track down people saying their Acers won't upgrade and try to pin down what model/sub-models they're using. The graphics card used seems especially important. One major Nvidia chipset used on Acers seems to be stopping the upgrade. Don't know which---but I've seen it mentioned by people griping (who generally don't bother to give models numbers on the computer or on the graphics chip).