Options

BBC E24 - Cancelled / Recplaced ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a load of rubbish. E24 was dropped because "entertainment news" programmes like that are already catered for by the commercial sector. That is the only reason.

See msg 13. It didn't cost much extra to put on as most of it is already filmed.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    Which is to completely miss the point of my post as to why the programme was actually axed. It has absolutely nothing to do with cost. It was exactly as I stated in my previous post. The BBC have said as much themselves.
  • Options
    passingbatpassingbat Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a load of rubbish. E24 was dropped because "entertainment news" programmes like that are already catered for by the commercial sector. That is the only reason.
    Charnham wrote: »
    I generally agree, there is not much need for the BBC to create something like E24.

I actually liked it and am dissapoinrted it has gone.

I have BBC news on a lot of the time, often in the background whilst doing something else and stop and watch when something interests me. With regard to E24, although not everything interested me, I did find a few things that did.

I don't know where these "entertainment news programmes" are and i don't really want to watch them. But i don't see why entertainment news shouldn't be included in a 24 hour news channel, given that it is a very small proportion of the total 24 hours output.

It was ideal for people like me who have a casual interest in entertainment news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ I agree, but it was dropped because the commercial sector complained that it was encroaching too much on their territory. That you "don't know where these...." other shows are possibly means that they (the commercial channels) were, as usual, talking a load of nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ I agree, but it was dropped because the commercial sector complained that it was encroaching too much on their territory. That you "don't know where these...." other shows are possibly means that they (the commercial channels) were, as usual, talking a load of nonsense.

Well, the commercial channels can get bent. They're clearly just jealous of the reach that the BBC has, although 15 mins of E24 is hardly a ratings destroyer for other channels.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always read that Gethin Jones presented it but I never saw him on it!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I only remember two presenters. Tasmin Khan and James Dagwell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Well, the commercial channels can get bent. They're clearly just jealous of the reach that the BBC has, although 15 mins of E24 is hardly a ratings destroyer for other channels.
    Hang on.. we seem to be agreeing on something! :eek: Did the world stop turning yet? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on.. we seem to be agreeing on something! :eek: Did the world stop turning yet? :D

I've booked the tickets for Gretna Green. When are you free? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Nelad wrote: »
    No massive loss.

Just less of a chance for James Dagwell to mince around and chat to z listers.

Not sure you could call all his interviewees z list celebs ....

Also James can mince all he wants for me as he is one of the most engaging informative friendly and attractive presenters on the BBC
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Now 60 Seconds on BBC Three which is the closest you can get to E24 is being axed too whether the TV version gets a last minute stay or not,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now 60 Seconds on BBC Three which is the closest you can get to E24 is being axed too whether the TV version gets a last minute stay or not,

Course it won't. BBC3 is going. Saying it's going to be an "online only channel" is just a way to say, "it'll be axed as soon as we no longer have to pretend we care".