Options

woohoo! "Mad World" back in the charts ..

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
got the midweek chart rundown on radio 1 and Gary Jules' 'mad world' is back in the charts at number 18 ..

so maybe x-factor can do some good after all :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtpY5_HASM8

Comments

• Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    got the midweek chart rundown on radio 1 and the original 'mad world' is back in the charts at number 18 ..

so maybe x-factor can do some good after all :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtpY5_HASM8

The 'original' Mad World is by Tears For Fears, you appear to be linking to the Gary Jules version :( :mad:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    The 'original' Mad World is by Tears For Fears, you appear to be linking to the Gary Jules version :( :mad:

Yes, of course .. my mistake .. the original cover .. technically :)

edited original post for accuracy :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I really like the cover of this song by Gary Jules - I first heard it on Donnie Darko.
  • Options
    Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh that's good
  • Options
    joan13joan13 Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this version by Adam Lambert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g7YUqN-7AU
  • Options
    AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Jules' cover is really depressing, I am just annoyed by it.

It should be the original by Tears for Fears back in the chart, granted it's my least favourite song by them, but it's still THEIR song.
  • Options
    SickPuppy21SickPuppy21 Posts: 4,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joan13 wrote: »
    I love this version by Adam Lambert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g7YUqN-7AU

Prefer Aidens, more darker, and isnt vocally showing off pointlessly.
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original Tears for Fears version is the only version I ever want to hear, personally. Why can't that be back in the charts?
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rachelgata wrote: »
    The original Tears for Fears version is the only version I ever want to hear, personally. Why can't that be back in the charts?

Not enough people have bought it, simple reason really.

Shame, as I much prefer the original myself.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdamDowds wrote: »
    Gary Jules' cover is really depressing, I am just annoyed by it.

It should be the original by Tears for Fears back in the chart, granted it's my least favourite song by them, but it's still THEIR song.

I agree, there are at least five other songs by TfF I can think of off the top of my head that are better than Mad World :)
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Gary Jules version works really well in the film Donnie Darko (it was done specifically for the film and only released as a single a couple of years later), as does the other Tears For Fears song, Head Over Heels, which plays over that brilliant long school sequence.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the worst number ones of all time. His drawlingly Americanised, disingenuously 'timorous' voice combined with the turgid anti-music funereal accompaniment just makes me wish someone would smack him the fark right out of his enervating misery.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    One of the worst number ones of all time. His drawlingly Americanised, disingenuously 'timorous' voice combined with the turgid anti-music funereal accompaniment just makes me wish someone would smack him the fark right out of his enervating misery.

Yes, I didnt like it.... was a bit pretentious and worthy:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Prefer Aidens, more darker, and isnt vocally showing off pointlessly.

As he is competing in a singing competition any vocal 'showing off' is hardly pointless :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »

You're not too keen then:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    gertrude wrote: »
    You're not too keen then:D

Wasn't it a Christmas number 1 as well? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Gary Jules version works really well in the film Donnie Darko (it was done specifically for the film and only released as a single a couple of years later), as does the other Tears For Fears song, Head Over Heels, which plays over that brilliant long school sequence.

I was about to post almost this exact same thing. It was done as part of the score and in the context of the film works fantastically. As a song in its own right I music say I feel that the years since its recording have not been kind to it.

I remember after seeing Donnie Darko I spent a bloody fortune getting an imported version of the score (literally the score, as opposed to the soundtrack which wasn't released for about a year I think, when the films cult classic status had become clear) It was at the time the only way to get the song. A few months later it was released as a single which I could have bought for a few quid.

I was gutted. The original TFF version is brilliant, as it the soundtrack of Donnie Darko generally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    Wasn't it a Christmas number 1 as well? :D

If I remember rightly this was the first "anti-christmas" number one, now a year doesn't go by without a campaign to get something not very festive to number one at christmas.

:p
  • Options
    themadmonkthemadmonk Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I prefer the Gary Jules version to the Tears For Fears original, its one of those rare instances where a cover version outstrips the original.